Using Wine

Wade Smart
11082005 2039 GMT-5

I got Wine installed but couldn't get a few apps running. No big deal.
But the reason I installed it was for IE. On 5.4 I would just type in
wine iexplore.exe and it would start. Now it doesnt work that way. I
have been looking at the documentation and Im not finding an answer.

How do you start a app now?

Thanks.

Wade

Re: Using Wine

Wade Smart
11092005 1041 GMT-5

I finally got into the directory where IE is. This example would have
been so helpful. I couldnt figure out how to get into Program Files. It
was the space that was throwing me off.

I did get IE to start but within seconds an error window pops up and
then it shuts off, and then restarts, and then shuts off.... it didnt
work at all. Very frustrating.

Ulrich.....I read what you said about configure. I didnt know those
things. Thanks for telling me.

Wade

'Forum Post wrote:

> Is wine finding the iexplore.exe file? You may need to be more
> specific:
>

> cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Internet\ Explorer
>
> wine ./iexplore.exe
>

> However, if wine is finding the executable, trying to execute, and
> failing, then it probably means that your newer version of IE isn't
> compatible with wine yet. IE 6.0 isn't listed under the wine site's
> official list of compatible apps. In the mean time, try your old IE
> version.

Re: Using Wine

TreeBoy-2
On Wednesday 09 Nov 2005 02:44, Wade Smart wrote:

> 11082005 2039 GMT-5
>
> I got Wine installed but couldn't get a few apps running. No big deal.
> But the reason I installed it was for IE. On 5.4 I would just type in
> wine iexplore.exe and it would start. Now it doesnt work that way. I
> have been looking at the documentation and Im not finding an answer.
>
> How do you start a app now?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Wade

If all you really want is MSIE (which I have to for web dev), then I recommend
installing ies4linux.

Frank's Corner mentions it but doesn't rave about it like I think it
should :-)

http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=ies4linux

It is a very simple (and quite elegant IMHO) bash script that asks which
versions of MSIE you want.

It creates a new WINE config directory.

It then downloads all required files (DCOM, RichEdit32 etc) and then downloads
the install(s) for each of the versions that you want and installs them.

Finally it creates bash scripts in ~/bin for each of your versions.

I use ie5 and ie6

Hope this is helpful.

Re: Using Wine

hentaidan
I'll second that, ies4linux worked a treat with Breezy and the latest
and greatest from wine, no problems at all. Even makes the links for
you.

--
http://www.danicity.co.uk

Re: Using Wine

Wade Smart
11092005 1304 GMT-5

Thanks TreeBoy and Dan for those posts. So - a not so obvious question
(well for me that is).... How do I uninstall what I have installed and
then install ie4linux?

I didnt see that post about checkinstall until after I already installed
it.

Wade

TreeBoy wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 Nov 2005 02:44, Wade Smart wrote:
>
>>11082005 2039 GMT-5
>>
>>I got Wine installed but couldn't get a few apps running. No big deal.
>>But the reason I installed it was for IE. On 5.4 I would just type in
>>wine iexplore.exe and it would start. Now it doesnt work that way. I
>>have been looking at the documentation and Im not finding an answer.
>>
>>How do you start a app now?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Wade
>

> If all you really want is MSIE (which I have to for web dev), then I recommend
> installing ies4linux.
>
> Frank's Corner mentions it but doesn't rave about it like I think it
> should :-)
>
> http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=ies4linux
>
> It is a very simple (and quite elegant IMHO) bash script that asks which
> versions of MSIE you want.
>
> It creates a new WINE config directory.
>
> It then downloads all required files (DCOM, RichEdit32 etc) and then downloads
> the install(s) for each of the versions that you want and installs them.
>
> Finally it creates bash scripts in ~/bin for each of your versions.
>
> I use ie5 and ie6
>
> Hope this is helpful.
>
> Cheers,

Re: Using Wine

hentaidan
You should just be able to delete (I prefer to rename) your .wine
folder in your home directory. Its hidden (hence the "." before wine)
so you may need to show hidden files: (in nautilus) its View | Show
Hidden Files.

You could just ignore if want though, as ies4linux creates a
completely separate directory and places the installs in there;
neither should interfere with the other.

IIRC checkinstall is for installing programs from source and allowing
uninstallations. You want to keep Wine; Internet Explorer is installed
from within Wine, separate from the main packaging/source
installations that other native programs are installed with.

To sum up... I would just run the ies4linux script, thats what I did
and it worked a treat.

Dan

On 09/11/05, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 11092005 1304 GMT-5
>
> Thanks TreeBoy and Dan for those posts. So - a not so obvious question
> (well for me that is).... How do I uninstall what I have installed and
> then install ie4linux?
>
> I didnt see that post about checkinstall until after I already installed
> it.
>
> Wade
>

> TreeBoy wrote:
> > On Wednesday 09 Nov 2005 02:44, Wade Smart wrote:
> >
> >>11082005 2039 GMT-5
> >>
> >>I got Wine installed but couldn't get a few apps running. No big deal.
> >>But the reason I installed it was for IE. On 5.4 I would just type in
> >>wine iexplore.exe and it would start. Now it doesnt work that way. I
> >>have been looking at the documentation and Im not finding an answer.
> >>
> >>How do you start a app now?
> >>
> >>Thanks.
> >>
> >>Wade
> >

> > If all you really want is MSIE (which I have to for web dev), then I recommend
> > installing ies4linux.
> >
> > Frank's Corner mentions it but doesn't rave about it like I think it
> > should :-)
> >
> > http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=ies4linux
> >
> > It is a very simple (and quite elegant IMHO) bash script that asks which
> > versions of MSIE you want.
> >
> > It creates a new WINE config directory.
> >
> > It then downloads all required files (DCOM, RichEdit32 etc) and then downloads
> > the install(s) for each of the versions that you want and installs them.
> >
> > Finally it creates bash scripts in ~/bin for each of your versions.
> >
> > I use ie5 and ie6
> >
> > Hope this is helpful.
> >
> > Cheers,

http://www.danicity.co.uk

Re: Using Wine

Wade Smart
11092005 1853 GMT-5

I have ie4linux and Im looking at Cabextract. There is a older 1.0 for
Debain and then a newer 1.1 tar.gz. Which do you suggest?

Wade

dan wrote:

> You should just be able to delete (I prefer to rename) your .wine
> folder in your home directory. Its hidden (hence the "." before wine)
> so you may need to show hidden files: (in nautilus) its View | Show
> Hidden Files.
>
> You could just ignore if want though, as ies4linux creates a
> completely separate directory and places the installs in there;
> neither should interfere with the other.
>
> IIRC checkinstall is for installing programs from source and allowing
> uninstallations. You want to keep Wine; Internet Explorer is installed
> from within Wine, separate from the main packaging/source
> installations that other native programs are installed with.
>
> To sum up... I would just run the ies4linux script, thats what I did
> and it worked a treat.
>
> Dan
>
> On 09/11/05, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>11092005 1304 GMT-5
>>
>>Thanks TreeBoy and Dan for those posts. So - a not so obvious question
>>(well for me that is).... How do I uninstall what I have installed and
>>then install ie4linux?
>>
>>I didnt see that post about checkinstall until after I already installed
>>it.
>>
>>Wade
>>

>>TreeBoy wrote:

>>>If all you really want is MSIE (which I have to for web dev), then I recommend
>>>installing ies4linux.
>>>
>>>Frank's Corner mentions it but doesn't rave about it like I think it
>>>should :-)
>>>
>>>http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=ies4linux
>>>
>>>It is a very simple (and quite elegant IMHO) bash script that asks which
>>>versions of MSIE you want.
>>>
>>>It creates a new WINE config directory.
>>>
>>>It then downloads all required files (DCOM, RichEdit32 etc) and then downloads
>>>the install(s) for each of the versions that you want and installs them.
>>>
>>>Finally it creates bash scripts in ~/bin for each of your versions.
>>>
>>>I use ie5 and ie6
>>>
>>>Hope this is helpful.
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>

>>--

> http://www.danicity.co.uk

Re: Using Wine

hentaidan
I just used the one in the repositories, 1.1 I think. (Its in
universe, so you may need to enable it in your sources.list)

Dan

http://www.danicity.co.uk