Using apt-keys

david-5
Folks

I tried installing Virtualbox in 20.04, and recent exchanges on the
mailing list advised me to use the Oracle repository rather than the
one built into the Ubuntu distribution.  Following one of the
installation guides, I was asked to add a key to apt's keyring using
apt-key.  This led me to a deprecated warning, and further research
led me to a multi-step incomprehensible replacement for the one (or
two, depending how you count) replacement for sequences like

sudo apt-key list

check to see if the Oracle key is already there. and if not, issue:

wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O-
| sudo apt-key add -

I would hope that the replacement to 'apt-key' is easy.  I can't
believe that developers would replace a one-line commands with
something complex.  Please advise.

Thanks

David

Re: Using apt-keys

Keith-7
On 1/8/21 3:56 PM, david wrote:

> Folks
>
> I tried installing Virtualbox in 20.04, and recent exchanges on the
> mailing list advised me to use the Oracle repository rather than the one
> built into the Ubuntu distribution.  Following one of the installation
> guides, I was asked to add a key to apt's keyring using apt-key.  This
> led me to a deprecated warning, and further research led me to a
> multi-step incomprehensible replacement for the one (or two, depending
> how you count) replacement for sequences like
>
> sudo apt-key list
>
> check to see if the Oracle key is already there. and if not, issue:
>
> wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- |
> sudo apt-key add -
>

> I would hope that the replacement to 'apt-key' is easy.  I can't believe
> that developers would replace a one-line commands with something
> complex.  Please advise.
>
> Thanks
>
> David

$ sudo wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc
-O /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/oracle_vbox_2016.asc

$ apt-key list
/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/oracle_vbox_2016.asc
pub   rsa4096 2016-04-22 [SC]
       B9F8 D658 297A F3EF C18D  5CDF A2F6 83C5 2980 AECF
uid           [ unknown] Oracle Corporation (VirtualBox archive signing
key) <[hidden email]>
sub   rsa4096 2016-04-22 [E]

worked for me.

--
Keith

Re: Using apt-keys

MR ZenWiz
On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 1:58 PM david <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks
>
> I tried installing Virtualbox in 20.04, and recent exchanges on the
> mailing list advised me to use the Oracle repository rather than the
> one built into the Ubuntu distribution.  Following one of the
> installation guides, I was asked to add a key to apt's keyring using
> apt-key.  This led me to a deprecated warning, and further research
> led me to a multi-step incomprehensible replacement for the one (or
> two, depending how you count) replacement for sequences like
>
> sudo apt-key list
>
> check to see if the Oracle key is already there. and if not, issue:
>
> wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O-
> | sudo apt-key add -
>

> I would hope that the replacement to 'apt-key' is easy.  I can't
> believe that developers would replace a one-line commands with
> something complex.  Please advise.

Unless you have a need to automate this in an installation, just go to
their website manually and download the files, then install them
manually.

You should probably use dpkg to install the .deb file.

I wouldn't use apt for this unless, as I said, there's a compelling
reason to do so.  The manual approach is simple and straightforward.

Mark

Re: Using apt-keys

david-5
At 05:35 PM 1/8/2021, MR ZenWiz wrote:

>On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 1:58 PM david <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Folks
> >
> > I tried installing Virtualbox in 20.04, and recent exchanges on the
> > mailing list advised me to use the Oracle repository rather than the
> > one built into the Ubuntu distribution.  Following one of the
> > installation guides, I was asked to add a key to apt's keyring using
> > apt-key.  This led me to a deprecated warning, and further research
> > led me to a multi-step incomprehensible replacement for the one (or
> > two, depending how you count) replacement for sequences like
> >
> > sudo apt-key list
> >
> > check to see if the Oracle key is already there. and if not, issue:
> >
> > wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O-
> > | sudo apt-key add -
> >

> > I would hope that the replacement to 'apt-key' is easy.  I can't
> > believe that developers would replace a one-line commands with
> > something complex.  Please advise.
> >
>Unless you have a need to automate this in an installation, just go to
>their website manually and download the files, then install them
>manually.
>
>You should probably use dpkg to install the .deb file.
>
>I wouldn't use apt for this unless, as I said, there's a compelling
>reason to do so.  The manual approach is simple and straightforward.
>
>Mark
>
>--
>ubuntu-us

Mark:
Yes, I'm trying to automate the process.  And apt-key becomes
deprecated in future releases, so I'm sort of stuck.  Got any ideas?

David

Re: Using apt-keys

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 18:08:09 -0600, Keith wrote:
>$ sudo wget

Are you serious about this?

Re: Using apt-keys

Tom H-4
On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 2:57 AM david <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 05:35 PM 1/8/2021, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>>On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 1:58 PM david <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I tried installing Virtualbox in 20.04, and recent exchanges on the
>>> mailing list advised me to use the Oracle repository rather than the
>>> one built into the Ubuntu distribution. Following one of the
>>> installation guides, I was asked to add a key to apt's keyring using
>>> apt-key. This led me to a deprecated warning, and further research
>>> led me to a multi-step incomprehensible replacement for the one (or
>>> two, depending how you count) replacement for sequences like
>>>
>>> sudo apt-key list
>>>
>>> check to see if the Oracle key is already there. and if not,
>>> issue:
>>>
>>> wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc
>>> -O- | sudo apt-key add -
>>>

>>> I would hope that the replacement to 'apt-key' is easy. I can't
>>> believe that developers would replace a one-line commands with
>>> something complex. Please advise.
>>
>> Unless you have a need to automate this in an installation, just
>> go to their website manually and download the files, then install
>> them manually.
>
> Yes, I'm trying to automate the process. And apt-key becomes
> deprecated in future releases, so I'm sort of stuck. Got any
> ideas?

AFAIK, the idea's that you'll drop gpg files into
"/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d" or "/usr/share/keyrings".