Using non-free formats for DIY marketing material

Using non-free formats for DIY marketing material

MF-9
Hello,

I just noticed a note in the DIY marketing page on the wiki -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DIYMarketing :

* /!\ Important Observation: Could we have access or ensure work is done
with Ubuntu computers running free software and so generating free
format files? AFAIK, the .eps and .psd ARE NOT Free as in Freedom. All
we do here, all the community work is based on freedom, and so I believe
we should provide and assure we keep it like that. For desktop
publishing (DTP) work in Ubuntu, have a look at [WWW] Scribus - it's in
Universe - or Inkscape. *

Although I agree we should use and ask any contributors to use open,
free formats, I think this should be a friendlier request - or perhaps
guidelines.  Certainly not to be discussed *on* the wiki ! :)

I also think the material should be in a format that users from Windows
or other OSs can use. After all, what's the point of having DIY material
in a format that can't be used from another platform ? Or even ask to
provide PDFs so that they can at least be printed.

Most importantly, I want the *source* material (fonts, graphics, texts)
easily available, unlike most of the Mozilla/ Firefox material that is
useless for any translation or professional printing.

Any opinions on this ?

Cheers,

Fabian

Re: Using non-free formats for DIY marketing material

Daniel Robitaille
> I just noticed a note in the DIY marketing page on the wiki -
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DIYMarketing :
>
> * /!\ Important Observation: Could we have access or ensure work is done
> with Ubuntu computers running free software and so generating free
> format files? AFAIK, the .eps and .psd ARE NOT Free as in Freedom. All
> we do here, all the community work is based on freedom, and so I believe
> we should provide and assure we keep it like that. For desktop
> publishing (DTP) work in Ubuntu, have a look at [WWW] Scribus - it's in
> Universe - or Inkscape. *
>
> Although I agree we should use and ask any contributors to use open,
> free formats, I think this should be a friendlier request - or perhaps
> guidelines.  Certainly not to be discussed *on* the wiki ! :)

I noticed that comment on the wiki the other day, and was going to
bring up on one of the mailing list before cleaning it up, but then
totally forgot about it :(

I agree that free is good, but essentially you can politely ask about
it.  For example, look at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Presentations

That comment about the preferred format was originally written by sabdfl.

question:  is eps non-free?  Unless there is another one, it usually
stands for encapsulated postscript.   I never thought of eps as a
non-free format, and in my mind I have always lumped it into a similar
category than pdf.   Anyone has more info on this?

> I also think the material should be in a format that users from Windows
> or other OSs can use. After all, what's the point of having DIY material
> in a format that can't be used from another platform ? Or even ask to
> provide PDFs so that they can at least be printed.
>
> Most importantly, I want the *source* material (fonts, graphics, texts)
> easily available, unlike most of the Mozilla/ Firefox material that is
> useless for any translation or professional printing.

you can't force people to provide specific format.  But a nice warning
about trying to use formats that are in use in Ubuntu (OpenDocument,
svg, etc), and recommending that the source is available beside
something portable like a pdf file   is probably the way to go in my
mind.

--
Daniel Robitaille

Re: Using non-free formats for DIY marketing material

Corey Burger
On 11/18/05, Daniel Robitaille <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I just noticed a note in the DIY marketing page on the wiki -
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DIYMarketing :
> >
> > * /!\ Important Observation: Could we have access or ensure work is done
> > with Ubuntu computers running free software and so generating free
> > format files? AFAIK, the .eps and .psd ARE NOT Free as in Freedom. All
> > we do here, all the community work is based on freedom, and so I believe
> > we should provide and assure we keep it like that. For desktop
> > publishing (DTP) work in Ubuntu, have a look at [WWW] Scribus - it's in
> > Universe - or Inkscape. *
> >
> > Although I agree we should use and ask any contributors to use open,
> > free formats, I think this should be a friendlier request - or perhaps
> > guidelines.  Certainly not to be discussed *on* the wiki ! :)

I just raised this idea with Mark, Jane S and Malcolm. Mark mentioned
to me that he would look into getting what is produced (by a third
party) into SVG or something similar.

The reason I like svg is that we can then use xml2po and be able to
translate it.

As an aside, graphics formats currently suck. The company I work for
(Userful) has to produce our graphics in about 7 different formats for
our customers to use.

Corey

Re: Using non-free formats for DIY marketing material

MF-9
[...]

>The reason I like svg is that we can then use xml2po and be able to
>translate it.

That' s nice for future integration to rosetta... OpenOffice.org also
produces XML content that can be used that way. Rename any .od* or sx*
file to .zip and you' ll see a content.xml file in its root.

I' ve modified FreeFormats and DIYMarketing until something better comes
up, don' t hesitate to comment/imporove.

Cheers,

F.