Quantcast

VBox 5.1.14

Peter Goggin-2
I have a fresh install of ubuntu 16.04.  I installed the Virtual box
5.1.14software from the Otaclke site , including the extensions pack.

I reloaded my virtual box ( created with 5.0.24) which is an XP machine
with anuber of programs for which I cannot find a linux equivalent.  The
machine starts with no problem. I can run all of my software with no
problems except that I cannot see any usb devices. These are clearly
available and usable at the Ubuntu level.

What do I have to do to make the USB devices available in Virtual Box?

On my original installation the devices were available simultaneously in
the Virtual Box and to Ubuntu.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Peter Goggin

Re: VBox 5.1.14

Keith Bainbridge
I share the sub mount point to the guest, same as sharing your host data.

That is generally /media/userName/

If you NEED direct access, please respond again, for better answer.

If you want

Keith Bainbridge

[hidden email]

Sent from my APad

On 30 Jan 2017 13:02, "Peter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a fresh install of ubuntu 16.04.  I installed the Virtual box 5.1.14software from the Otaclke site , including the extensions pack.

I reloaded my virtual box ( created with 5.0.24) which is an XP machine with anuber of programs for which I cannot find a linux equivalent.  The machine starts with no problem. I can run all of my software with no problems except that I cannot see any usb devices. These are clearly available and usable at the Ubuntu level.

What do I have to do to make the USB devices available in Virtual Box?

On my original installation the devices were available simultaneously in the Virtual Box and to Ubuntu.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Peter Goggin

Re: VBox 5.1.14

compdoc
On 01/29/2017 07:01 PM, Peter wrote:

> I have a fresh install of ubuntu 16.04.  I installed the Virtual box
> 5.1.14software from the Otaclke site

virtualbox is available from the ubuntu repos. Just the command:

sudo apt install virtualbox

when the package is installed this way, many things like ownership and
permissions and other necessary packages, are installed correctly for
you. Including proper integration into your desktop.

Sometimes the version isnt the newest, (and sometimes it is) but at
least its been tested by everyone who uses it.

Re: VBox 5.1.14

Ralf Mardorf-2
Hi,

both, the OSE version as well as the _better supported_ Oracle
branded non-OSE version of virtualbox require to enable USB by the
settings.

  Maschine > Settings... > USB

Once USB is enabled, it could be used. But don't expect that it works
good for all tasks. USB support for virtualbox is broken and it always
was broken. I'm using it since years with USB on a daily basis. If you
shouldn't see your device with USB enabled, disconnect and reconnected
it from the USB jack after startup of the guest finished.

Do yourself a favour and stay with the Oracle branded non-OSE version!

Regards,
Ralf

Re: VBox 5.1.14

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 19:19:27 -0700, compdoc wrote:
>when the package is installed this way, many things like ownership and
>permissions and other necessary packages, are installed correctly for
>you. Including proper integration into your desktop.
>
>Sometimes the version isnt the newest, (and sometimes it is) but at
>least its been tested by everyone who uses it.

The Oracle branded non-OSE version is the more reliable release, what
ever Linux distro you are using. However, USB support is broken for both
versions and USB support always was broken, but at least the non-OSE
version suffers from less issues, than the OSE version does. You might
never have noticed a lot of issues, because you might use guests for
less problematic tasks. A problematic task for example is a
transmission of data by USB, when a device needs to audo-disconnect and
auto-reconnect the USB connection, so the user manually needs to check
the USB device in the device menu, each time this happens. USB devices
behave like this, when you e.g. upgrade an operating system of an USB
device. Some tasks even won't work with a similar workaround.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: VBox 5.1.14

Liam Proven
On 30 January 2017 at 07:18, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Oracle branded non-OSE version is the more reliable release, what

VirtualBox OSE hasn't existed for some years.

The Oracle version and the versions in the distro repos are all 100% FOSS.

All the proprietary code was moved into the optional extension pack.

Re: VBox 5.1.14

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 14:28:00 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

>On 30 January 2017 at 07:18, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> The Oracle branded non-OSE version is the more reliable release,
>> what
>

>VirtualBox OSE hasn't existed for some years.
>
>The Oracle version and the versions in the distro repos are all 100%
>FOSS.
>
>All the proprietary code was moved into the optional extension pack.

Ok, I will repharse it. The bin from Oracle is more reliable, because
it doesn't suffer from distro specific issues.

Virtual Box on Ubuntu 16.04

Peter Goggin-2

On 30/01/17 13:19, compdoc wrote:

> On 01/29/2017 07:01 PM, Peter wrote:
>
>> I have a fresh install of ubuntu 16.04.  I installed the Virtual box
>> 5.1.14software from the Otaclke site
>
> virtualbox is available from the ubuntu repos. Just the command:
>
> sudo apt install virtualbox
>
> when the package is installed this way, many things like ownership and
> permissions and other necessary packages, are installed correctly for
> you. Including proper integration into your desktop.
>
> Sometimes the version isnt the newest, (and sometimes it is) but at
> least its been tested by everyone who uses it.

I did a fresh install of ubuntu 16.04.  I loaded vbox from the
repository. This is version 5.0.32.
I downloaded and installed the extension pack for 5.0.32. I added the
user to vbox users.  I loaded my xp virtual machine from backups.  In
settings it showed the three usb devices that it had used when it last
ran correctly. (a scanner and two printers). I started the XP virtual
machine. No usb devices are available. However all of the XP software
works correctly e.. winbmd, FamilyTree, Scrapbook. However I cannot
print anything.

All of the instances of virtual box which allow me to use USB devices
were created when I was running 14.04. I then upgraded the ubuntu
software to 16.04 and I could still see usb devices in the virtual
machines. The machine with which I am having problems has only ever had
16.04 installed. It is a spare machine and has only been brought into
service to replace a machine with a defective cooling fan.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem welcome.  The obvious one is
to fix the fan in the defective box. This does not address the problem
on how to get VirtualBox working in ubuntu 16.04.  Do other linux
distributions have the same problems?

Regards

Peter Goggin

Re: Virtual Box on Ubuntu 16.04

compdoc
On 02/02/2017 06:52 PM, Peter wrote:

> However I cannot print anything.

Do you not have any printers with an ethernet port? All my ubuntu guests
and servers are able to printer to my Brother laser because its on the
lan. Any brand will do, as long as ubuntu has the printer drivers...