VLC should be default media player on Xubuntu

VLC should be default media player on Xubuntu

Joel Carlson-2
Parole never works while VLC does so VLC should be the default IMHO.

Re: VLC should be default media player on Xubuntu

Pasi Lallinaho-3
Hello Joel,

"Parole never works" is not very good argumenting. What in it does not work?

VLC uses Qt as its toolkit so including it as the default player would bring in a lot of extra dependencies (literally, another toolkit), so it's out of question.

Additionally, Parole works for all of my purposes very well, for example. Again, we would need good argumentation and facts on where Parole fails for a majority of our users to even consider a switch to begin with. That said, I'm happy that you've found an alternative that works for you.

Cheers,
Pasi

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome)         › https://open.knome.fi/
Xubuntu Website Lead           › https://xubuntu.org/

Re: VLC should be default media player on Xubuntu

Yousuf Philips
Hi Joel,

You'll have to give more details of what difficulties you are facing with Parole for the team to better understand the issue.

I personally install VLC and SMPlayer, as i prefer their customizability, especially as I like having the same experience in multiple different distros that I run and can easily copy their settings from .config. Ubuntu Mate had a poll in 2017 for what should be their default media player, and their users chose VLC, but they have decide in 19.10 to move to Gnome MPV for better desktop integration.

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 7:52 PM Joel Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Amit Bidkar

Hello,

@Yusuf: If you installed, Why you are forcing all people to install it without solid reasons. I am not multimedia user but Developer and I am getting from Xubuntu what I want apart from some screen tearing tweaks.

@Pasi: Please do not increase unnecessary dependencies.  I installed and *LOVE* Xubuntu because it's lightweight and most *STABLE* distro.

Thanks,
Amit Bidkar

On 21/07/19 12:14 AM, Yousuf Philips wrote:
[...]

Fwd: Re: VLC should be default media player on Xubuntu

Amit Bidkar

+Yusuf, Joel

Re: VLC should be default media player on Xubuntu

Yousuf Philips
Hi Amit,

You must have misunderstood my email as I was simply mentioning to Pasi what I do and wasnt recommending that Xubuntu do the same, as I mentioned that the Ubuntu Mate team decided against using VLC.

Regards,
Yousuf

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 11:01 PM Amit Bidkar <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Re: Fwd: Re: VLC should be default media player on Xubuntu

peter kri

Hey folks,

think about the present security problems with vlc on every system (all have these like macs, windows or linux-ditros)!

Use xine at this moment

Amit Bidkar <[hidden email]> hat am 20. Juli 2019 um 21:03 geschrieben:

+Yusuf, Joel