Video Projector

Richard Brown
Hi All

I am just about to purchase a video projector and I have to admit I
can see no reason why a video projector wouldn't work with Ubuntu...
but just in case has anybody had any experienced of running a Ubuntu
set-up and a video projector. Has anybody any thoughts on what
projector to buy. I was looking at this:
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VPL-ES5-Video-Projector/dp/B0016623T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228834776&sr=8-1>

Thanks.
--
Kind regards
Rich

Re: Video Projector

Karl Larsen-2
Richard Brown wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am just about to purchase a video projector and I have to admit I
> can see no reason why a video projector wouldn't work with Ubuntu...
> but just in case has anybody had any experienced of running a Ubuntu
> set-up and a video projector. Has anybody any thoughts on what
> projector to buy. I was looking at this:
> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VPL-ES5-Video-Projector/dp/B0016623T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228834776&sr=8-1>
>
> Thanks.

    I never used the one your going to buy but talking to a projector is
more a laptop hardware problem than operating system. That said I went
to meetings back in 1998 and later with a Red Hat version on the laptop
and it worked just fine on the $2000.00 projectors of that era.

Karl

Re: Video Projector

Rashkae-2
Richard Brown wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am just about to purchase a video projector and I have to admit I
> can see no reason why a video projector wouldn't work with Ubuntu...
> but just in case has anybody had any experienced of running a Ubuntu
> set-up and a video projector. Has anybody any thoughts on what
> projector to buy. I was looking at this:
> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VPL-ES5-Video-Projector/dp/B0016623T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228834776&sr=8-1>
>
> Thanks.

This is nothing related to Linux, but unless my budget was *very* tight,
I wouldn't buy another 800x600 resolution projector.. that's just too
small for most modern desktops.  (And troublesome when people create PP
presentations on a larger screen only to find their text gets re-flowed
on the smaller screen.)  Suggest looking for a 1024x768 minimum.

Re: Video Projector

Paul Johnson-11
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:19 AM, Richard Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am just about to purchase a video projector and I have to admit I
> can see no reason why a video projector wouldn't work with Ubuntu...
> but just in case has anybody had any experienced of running a Ubuntu
> set-up and a video projector. Has anybody any thoughts on what
> projector to buy. I was looking at this:
> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VPL-ES5-Video-Projector/dp/B0016623T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228834776&sr=8-1>

I find it is MUCH easier if the resolution of your computer matches
the resolution of your projector.  If they are different, especially
if the projector is much lower in resolution, then it will look bad in
Linux.

Other posters have told you that this is not an operating system
problem, but they are not exactly giving the full story. It is not a
Linux kernel problem, but it IS a video driver problem, and there are
differences across video drivers in the quality of support they have
for video output.

Newer cards and Ubuntu will support the xrandr extension, which allows
you to interactively control the output on different devices. You can
see if you have it enabled by opening a terminal and typing

$ xrandr -q

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 175, current 1400 x 1050, maximum 1400 x 1050
default connected 1400x1050+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1400x1050      50.0*    51.0     52.0     53.0     54.0     55.0     56.0
   1360x768       57.0     58.0
   1280x1024      59.0     60.0     61.0
   1280x960       62.0     63.0

You can read xrandr help pages, but basically the idea is that when
you plug in devices, they will show up in this listing as LCD1 or
whatever, and then you can tell them to "turn on" with a command like
this to turn on 2 outputs, the "default" and "VGA"

xrandr --output  default --mode 1280x1024 --output VGA --mode 1024x768

 It is a nice way to experiment, but I've not yet found a simple GUI
controller for it that will work on all video devices.  Nvidia's
proprietary driver supplies a program "nvidia-settings" that is
somewhat like the MS Windows controller that can turn on and off the
external monitors.  If that doesn't work, then you have to go old
school and use the TwinView configuation in xorg.conf  if you have the
Nvidia card.  On ATI cards, the output to the external device was
different.

If you could possibly test out the projector before you buy, you will
be happier.  In almost all cases, I've found that I can get projectors
to work, but on some of the old/crappy projectors we are assigned
around the University, then there is trouble because the projector
cannot take the high resolution, high speed of a newer laptop.  The
mismatch may be attributed to the poor drivers available for some
video cards in Linux. I wouldn't worry too much if you have a main
brand video card like Intel, Nvidia, or ATI.  But if you have "Joes
House of Electrons" in your system, then you should be cautious.  The
video modes of the laptop's output are controlled by the video driver,
and my experience is that the Linux drivers are not so well polished
as the Windows drivers.  Maybe, since ATI and Intel are open to
community involvement, it is getting better for them. But on my Nvidia
systems, it's been an adventure. Luckily, Nvidia supplies a huge text
README file with tons of details and they have a very lively linux
forum where you can ask questions.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Re: Video Projector

Richard Brown
Hi All

2008/12/11 Paul Johnson <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:19 AM, Richard Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I am just about to purchase a video projector and I have to admit I
>> can see no reason why a video projector wouldn't work with Ubuntu...
>> but just in case has anybody had any experienced of running a Ubuntu
>> set-up and a video projector. Has anybody any thoughts on what
>> projector to buy. I was looking at this:
>> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VPL-ES5-Video-Projector/dp/B0016623T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228834776&sr=8-1>

Thanks for all the help on this one. Paul offered the tip of trying
before buying! I will try to do this and if I buy a projector post the
result here in case anyone else has a go.

Paul Johnson wrote:

> [...]
> around the University, then there is trouble because the projector
> cannot take the high resolution, high speed of a newer laptop.  The
> mismatch may be attributed to the poor drivers available for some
> video cards in Linux. I wouldn't worry too much if you have a main
> brand video card like Intel, Nvidia, or ATI.  But if you have "Joes
> House of Electrons" in your system, then you should be cautious.  The
> video modes of the laptop's output are controlled by the video driver,
> and my experience is that the Linux drivers are not so well polished
> as the Windows drivers.  Maybe, since ATI and Intel are open to
> community involvement, it is getting better for them. But on my Nvidia
> systems, it's been an adventure. Luckily, Nvidia supplies a huge text
> README file with tons of details and they have a very lively linux

    Even my old 1995 laptop has a button that switches video to a 15 pin
video plug which you plug the viewer into. I was working then and used
Pentagon viewers and had 10 minutes to get it working. Then 152 stars
walked in and expected to be briefed.

    I never failed to have a picture on the screen.

Karl

Re: Video Projector

Paul Johnson-11
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 7:01 AM, Karl F. Larsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    Even my old 1995 laptop has a button that switches video to a 15 pin
> video plug which you plug the viewer into. I was working then and used
> Pentagon viewers and had 10 minutes to get it working. Then 152 stars
> walked in and expected to be briefed.
>
>    I never failed to have a picture on the screen.
>
> Karl

Yes, it generally works better if the laptop is as old or older than
the projector.  The other direction is where the danger lies. The
laptop video overpowers the projector specs.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science
1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504
University of Kansas

Evolution | Out of Office Auto Reply?

Christopher J Combrink
Anyone know offhand where to set this up? I've had a quick browse and
can't seem to find it... going on leave in 3 hours - perhaps a good time
to figure it out ;)

Thanks guys!

Re: Evolution | Out of Office Auto Reply?

Phil Savoie
Christopher J Combrink wrote:
> Anyone know offhand where to set this up? I've had a quick browse and
> can't seem to find it... going on leave in 3 hours - perhaps a good time
> to figure it out ;)
>
> Thanks guys!

Hi Chris,

Found this on the web:

 In Evolution their is a menu option up top called "Tools" ->"Settings"
->Their will be a list of icons on the left hand pane. Scroll down to
the very bottom to the one called "Out of Office". Click on this to
display the settings options in the right hand pane. Input the desired
message in and then set whether you are "in" or "out". Finally, click
"Apply" then "Close". Test this by sending yourself an email.

Hope it helps,

Phil

Re: Evolution | Out of Office Auto Reply?

Christopher J Combrink
hahahhaha I feel like a right tart.

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 09:13 -0500, Phil Savoie wrote:

> Christopher J Combrink wrote:
> > Anyone know offhand where to set this up? I've had a quick browse and
> > can't seem to find it... going on leave in 3 hours - perhaps a good time
> > to figure it out ;)
> >
> > Thanks guys!
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> Found this on the web:
>

>  In Evolution their is a menu option up top called "Tools" ->"Settings"
> ->Their will be a list of icons on the left hand pane. Scroll down to
> the very bottom to the one called "Out of Office". Click on this to
> display the settings options in the right hand pane. Input the desired
> message in and then set whether you are "in" or "out". Finally, click
> "Apply" then "Close". Test this by sending yourself an email.
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Phil

Re: Evolution | Out of Office Auto Reply?

user1
I see no Tools menu on my evolution?

Christopher J Combrink wrote:

> hahahhaha I feel like a right tart.
>
> On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 09:13 -0500, Phil Savoie wrote:
>> Christopher J Combrink wrote:
>>> Anyone know offhand where to set this up? I've had a quick browse and
>>> can't seem to find it... going on leave in 3 hours - perhaps a good time
>>> to figure it out ;)
>>>
>>> Thanks guys!
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Found this on the web:
>>

>>  In Evolution their is a menu option up top called "Tools" ->"Settings"
>> ->Their will be a list of icons on the left hand pane. Scroll down to
>> the very bottom to the one called "Out of Office". Click on this to
>> display the settings options in the right hand pane. Input the desired
>> message in and then set whether you are "in" or "out". Finally, click
>> "Apply" then "Close". Test this by sending yourself an email.
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>>
>> Phil

Re: Evolution | Out of Office Auto Reply?

Mario Vukelic
On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 09:13 -0500, Phil Savoie wrote:
> In Evolution their is a menu option up top called "Tools" ->"Settings"

Not in mine.

I doubt that Out of Office makes sense in a mail *client*, as the client
would have to run during the whole absence of the user. AFAICT such
services need to be implemented on the server, with the client just
providing an UI. Is it possible that the Tools menu only exists if
Evolution is set up to connect to an Exchange server?

Re: Evolution | Out of Office Auto Reply?

NoOp-4
On 12/12/2008 04:26 AM, Christopher J Combrink wrote:
> Anyone know offhand where to set this up? I've had a quick browse and
> can't seem to find it... going on leave in 3 hours - perhaps a good time
> to figure it out ;)
>
> Thanks guys!

And this has what exactly to do with "Video Projector" which is the
thread that you'd hijacked?

Which was the msg number for the last reply in "Video Projector" by Paul
Johnson.

If you wish to ask a question on the list *please* start a *new* message
and subject. For those that replied to your msg (including Mario),
please don't or at least inform Christopher J to start a new thread.

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 18:24 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> For those that replied to your msg (including Mario),
> please don't or at least inform Christopher J to start a new thread.

You are right, and I didn't notice.