Virtual Box

Peter Goggin-2

I allow my linux machines to update weekly. I have virtual box installed on all of them. After the updates yesterday the virtualbox failed with these error:

RTR3InitEx failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)

The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox. The installation of VirtualBox was apparently not successful. Executing

'modprobe vboxdrv'

may correct this. Make sure that you do not mix the OSE version and the PUEL version of VirtualBox.

where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4 VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user.

The virtual machine 'Genealogy' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code:

NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

Component:

MachineWrap

Interface:

IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}

 I tried running modprobe vboxdrv but this did nothing.  I noticed that virtualbox is now part of the ubuntu repository.  I originally downloaded virtualbox from the Oracle site.

How can OI et my virtual machoines working again?

Do I need to delete the virtualbox software which downloaded with the last updates and reinstall the version from the oracle site?

Can anyone help me or tell me where I can get help?

I have one machine that has not been updated and virtual box still works. I can move all of my virtual machines to this machine but for various reasons I do not want to do this.  I need to know how to correct the problem.

Regards

Peter Goggin

Re: Virtual Box

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 11:44:51 +1000, Peter wrote:
>rc=-1912
>The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user.
>Do I need to delete the virtualbox software which downloaded with the
>last updates and reinstall the version from the oracle site?

Seemingly not. Seemingly either dkms needs to build the kernel
modules or a package needs to provide the modules that fit to your
kernel, as well as to your virtualbox version and then those kernel
modules needs to be loaded.

>Can anyone help me or tell me where I can get help?

https://forums.virtualbox.org/
https://wiki.debian.org/VirtualBox
http://www.letmegooglethat.com/?q=virtualbox+rc%3D-1912

I installed virtualbox from the Oracle website (not from the distro's
repositories) on Arch Linux. Assuming the modules are not
provided by a package, then the commands to check against a version
mismatch are the same for Ubuntu:

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ VirtualBox --help | head -1
Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager 5.2.16
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ uname -r
4.16.18-rt11-1-rt
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ dkms status
vboxhost, 5.2.16, 4.14.34-rt27-1-rt-pussytoes, x86_64: installed
vboxhost, 5.2.16, 4.16.18-rt10-1-rt-securityink, x86_64: installed
vboxhost, 5.2.16, 4.16.18-rt11-1-rt, x86_64: installed
vboxhost, 5.2.16, 4.16.18-rt9-1-rt-cornflower, x86_64: installed
vboxhost, 5.2.16, 4.17.11-arch1-1, x86_64: installed
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ dkms status | grep $(uname -r) | grep $(VirtualBox --help | head -1 | cut -d" " -f5)
vboxhost, 5.2.16, 4.16.18-rt11-1-rt, x86_64: installed

Re: Virtual Box

Peter Goggin-2
When packages like VirtualBox are added to a distribution I would expect
it to run without any problems. Is anyone else havin problems with the
version of VirtualBox which is now included in the Ubuntu  distribution.

Regards

Peter oggin