Well done Douglas

Rod Lovett
Hi Kubuntu users have been more helpful than the forums.
Changing the xine parameters in Kaffeine from dev/cdrom and dev/dvd to dev/scd0 fixed this annoying kaffeine problem.
The hdo not being updated to scdo for the storage media was a bit obscure, and hopefully the developers will take note.
I'll test with a reboot soon to see if the settings I made persist.
Cheers
Rod

I think the real problem is that in older than 8.04 the cdrom was
called hd0 and now is called scd0. Kaffiene is set to look for hdo and
has not been updated to look for scd0. When you do update it
everything is then fine.
All this seems to be related to fdisk settings being outdated do to
the new use off HAL or something like that that automatically sets up
the fdisk stuff at boot.
Douglas E Knapp

Re: Well done Douglas

Knapp
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 6:16 AM, Rod Lovett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Kubuntu users have been more helpful than the forums.
> Changing the xine parameters in Kaffeine from dev/cdrom and dev/dvd to dev/scd0 fixed this annoying kaffeine problem.
> The hdo not being updated to scdo for the storage media was a bit obscure, and hopefully the developers will take note.
> I'll test with a reboot soon to see if the settings I made persist.
> Cheers
> Rod
>

> I think the real problem is that in older than 8.04 the cdrom was
> called hd0 and now is called scd0. Kaffiene is set to look for hdo and
> has not been updated to look for scd0. When you do update it
> everything is then fine.
> All this seems to be related to fdisk settings being outdated do to
> the new use off HAL or something like that that automatically sets up
> the fdisk stuff at boot.
> Douglas E Knapp

Thanks. I still wonder what is really wrong and where but at least
Kaffeine works.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Re: Well done Douglas

Nils Kassube-2
wrote:

> > Hi Kubuntu users have been more helpful than the forums.
> > Changing the xine parameters in Kaffeine from dev/cdrom and dev/dvd
> > to dev/scd0 fixed this annoying kaffeine problem. The hdo not being
> > updated to scdo for the storage media was a bit obscure, and
> > hopefully the developers will take note. I'll test with a reboot soon
> > to see if the settings I made persist. Cheers
> > Rod
> >

> > I think the real problem is that in older than 8.04 the cdrom was
> > called hd0 and now is called scd0. Kaffiene is set to look for hdo
> > and has not been updated to look for scd0. When you do update it
> > everything is then fine.
> > All this seems to be related to fdisk settings being outdated do to
> > the new use off HAL or something like that that automatically sets up
> > the fdisk stuff at boot.
> > Douglas E Knapp
>
> Thanks. I still wonder what is really wrong and where but at least
> Kaffeine works.

Probably the cause of the problem is that a dist upgrade doesn't touch any
files in the home directory. The device used for kaffeine is stored in
one of the kaffeine config files (~/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine/xine-config)
and therefore survives a dist upgrade. But now the device from the old
distribution no longer exists. I wonder why the device was /dev/hda
instead of /dev/dvd or /dev/cdrom. While /dev/hda doesn't exist any
longer, /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom should still exist. At least on my
machines they do - and those are updated from previous Kubuntu versions
as well.

Nils

Re: Well done Douglas

Knapp
> Probably the cause of the problem is that a dist upgrade doesn't touch any
> files in the home directory. The device used for kaffeine is stored in
> one of the kaffeine config files (~/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine/xine-config)
> and therefore survives a dist upgrade. But now the device from the old
> distribution no longer exists.

Yes, likely.

> I wonder why the device was /dev/hda
> instead of /dev/dvd or /dev/cdrom. While /dev/hda doesn't exist any
> longer, /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom should still exist. At least on my
> machines they do - and those are updated from previous Kubuntu versions
> as well.
>
> Nils

I have those devices but they did not work when I tested them but I
might have done it wrong. Perhaps I should go back and redo this using
/dev/dvd1, because that is then linked on my system to /dev/scd0, also
sr0, cdrom1,cdrw1, dvdrw1 also point there. And what of that bit about
/media??
It might be a more generic and more correct answer.

I just tested setting them all do /dev/dvd1 and it works to as I
expected. Perhaps this is better advice for the masses because they
might not have scd0?

--
Douglas E Knapp

Re: Well done Douglas

Nils Kassube-2
Knapp wrote:
> Perhaps I should go back and redo this using
> /dev/dvd1, because that is then linked on my system to /dev/scd0, also
> sr0, cdrom1,cdrw1, dvdrw1 also point there. And what of that bit about
> /media??
> It might be a more generic and more correct answer.

There is a big difference between /dev/cdrom and /media/cdrom. /dev/cdrom
is the device node which can control the hardware. You need this type of
access point whenever you want to read audio CDs or write to a CDRW.
Actually then it would be more likely /dev/cdrw, but like you say, both
are just symlinks pointing to the same device which is /dev/scd0.

Now if you insert a CD with a filesystem on it (e.g. your Kubuntu CD), the
automount mechanism of Kubuntu can see there is a file system and mounts
it to /media/cdrom0/ and there you can read the files on the CD just like
any other file in your file system. There is also the
symlink /media/cdrom pointing to /media/cdrom0 which is another path to
reach the files on the CD.

Usually I would expect to find symlinks /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd which are
generic names pointing to the actual device while they are independent
from the actual hardware device name. These devices in /dev are needed by
Xine (and Kaffeine via the Xine engine) to have direct access to the
drive if the contents is something other than a file system, i.e. a video
DVD or audio CD.

> I just tested setting them all do /dev/dvd1 and it works to as I
> expected. Perhaps this is better advice for the masses because they
> might not have scd0?

Yes, /dev/dvd (or /dev/dvd1) is better because you don't know which device
name will be used by the kernel of future Kubuntu versions. This is where
the problem started in the first place. Previously it was /dev/hda and
now it is /dev/scd0. And I would expect the symlink /dev/dvd to be still
there even for future kernel versions.

Nils

Re: Well done Douglas

Knapp
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Nils Kassube <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Knapp wrote:
>> Perhaps I should go back and redo this using
>> /dev/dvd1, because that is then linked on my system to /dev/scd0, also
>> sr0, cdrom1,cdrw1, dvdrw1 also point there. And what of that bit about
>> /media??
>> It might be a more generic and more correct answer.
>
> There is a big difference between /dev/cdrom and /media/cdrom. /dev/cdrom
> is the device node which can control the hardware. You need this type of
> access point whenever you want to read audio CDs or write to a CDRW.
> Actually then it would be more likely /dev/cdrw, but like you say, both
> are just symlinks pointing to the same device which is /dev/scd0.
>
> Now if you insert a CD with a filesystem on it (e.g. your Kubuntu CD), the
> automount mechanism of Kubuntu can see there is a file system and mounts
> it to /media/cdrom0/ and there you can read the files on the CD just like
> any other file in your file system. There is also the
> symlink /media/cdrom pointing to /media/cdrom0 which is another path to
> reach the files on the CD.
>
> Usually I would expect to find symlinks /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd which are
> generic names pointing to the actual device while they are independent
> from the actual hardware device name. These devices in /dev are needed by
> Xine (and Kaffeine via the Xine engine) to have direct access to the
> drive if the contents is something other than a file system, i.e. a video
> DVD or audio CD.
>
>> I just tested setting them all do /dev/dvd1 and it works to as I
>> expected. Perhaps this is better advice for the masses because they
>> might not have scd0?
>
> Yes, /dev/dvd (or /dev/dvd1) is better because you don't know which device
> name will be used by the kernel of future Kubuntu versions. This is where
> the problem started in the first place. Previously it was /dev/hda and
> now it is /dev/scd0. And I would expect the symlink /dev/dvd to be still
> there even for future kernel versions.
>

> Nils

I expected to find and use /dev/dvd but I don't have that on my system
at all only dvd1.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Re: Well done Douglas

Derek Broughton-2
Rod Lovett wrote:

> Hi Kubuntu users have been more helpful than the forums.
> Changing the xine parameters in Kaffeine from dev/cdrom and dev/dvd to
> dev/scd0 fixed this annoying kaffeine problem.

OK, then this is definitely _not_ a kaffeine problem, because /dev/cdrom
and /dev/dvd are the correct symlinks.  One has to wonder why they're not
pointing at the correct location.

Please do:
 ls -l /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd
and send us the output.

What is in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules?  It should create
symlinks for specific PCI paths for the /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom devices,
and /dev/disk/by-path/ should have a corresponding path name that links
to /dev/scd0.
--
derek

Re: Well done Douglas

Derek Broughton-2
Nils Kassube wrote:

> Knapp wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 6:16 AM, Rod Lovett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> Thanks. I still wonder what is really wrong and where but at least
>> Kaffeine works.
>
> Probably the cause of the problem is that a dist upgrade doesn't touch any
> files in the home directory.

No, the kaffeine values are right (at least on Rod's system) so the place to
look is udev.

Douglas, see my response to Rod and send us the same details.  Good call on
the workaround, anyway!
--
derek

Re: Well done Douglas

Derek Broughton-2
Knapp wrote:

> I just tested setting them all do /dev/dvd1 and it works to as I
> expected. Perhaps this is better advice for the masses because they
> might not have scd0?

No, they _must_ have scd0 (at least if they have a CD/DVD, without which
they wouldn't get much from kaffeine, anyway!), but they very well may not
have /dev/dvd1 (you should only have /dev/dvd1 if you have multiple DVDs)
--
derek

Re: Well done Douglas

Nils Kassube-2
Derek Broughton wrote:
> No, they _must_ have scd0 (at least if they have a CD/DVD, without
> which they wouldn't get much from kaffeine, anyway!), but they very
> well may not have /dev/dvd1 (you should only have /dev/dvd1 if you have
> multiple DVDs)

I'm not sure what you want to say here but I just checked my Kaffeine
(Xine engine) parameters. They are /dev/cdrom for audio CDs and /dev/dvd
for DVDs. Then I checked that it was working with an audio CD and a DVD.
So I think the reason is more likely that if there are multiple CD/DVD
drives there is no symlink /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd but only /dev/cdrom1
and /dev/dvd1. But like you wrote in the other mail, the place to look is
udev.

Nils

Re: Well done Douglas

Knapp
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Nils Kassube <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> No, they _must_ have scd0 (at least if they have a CD/DVD, without
>> which they wouldn't get much from kaffeine, anyway!), but they very
>> well may not have /dev/dvd1 (you should only have /dev/dvd1 if you have
>> multiple DVDs)
>
> I'm not sure what you want to say here but I just checked my Kaffeine
> (Xine engine) parameters. They are /dev/cdrom for audio CDs and /dev/dvd
> for DVDs. Then I checked that it was working with an audio CD and a DVD.
> So I think the reason is more likely that if there are multiple CD/DVD
> drives there is no symlink /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd but only /dev/cdrom1
> and /dev/dvd1. But like you wrote in the other mail, the place to look is
> udev.
>

> Nils

Thing is that I have never had more than one DVD on this system nor
have I messed with the settings before this problem. I have also never
changed the hardware.
I am sorry but I missed what info you wanted and this tread has split
so much I am loosing track of what is were. Some *****70 file or
something? What was it?

--
Douglas E Knapp

Re: Well done Douglas

Silent Ph03nix
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Knapp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thing is that I have never had more than one DVD on this system nor
> have I messed with the settings before this problem. I have also never
> changed the hardware.
> I am sorry but I missed what info you wanted and this tread has split
> so much I am loosing track of what is were. Some *****70 file or
> something? What was it?

Here are mine from my server.  I have a Creative Labs DVD rom drive
and a DVD writer in the same box.  Here are my files.

ph03nix@server:~$ ls -l /dev/dvd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-09-01 12:14 /dev/dvd2 -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-09-01 12:14 /dev/dvd3 -> scd1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-09-01 12:14 /dev/dvdrw3 -> scd1
ph03nix@server:~$ ls -l /dev/cdrom*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-09-01 12:14 /dev/cdrom2 -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-09-01 12:14 /dev/cdrom3 -> scd1

ph03nix@server:~$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
# This file maintains persistent names for CD/DVD reader and writer devices.
# See udev(7) for syntax.
#
# Entries are automatically added by the 75-persistent-cd-generator.rules
# file; however you are also free to add your own entries provided you
# add the ENV{GENERATED}=1 flag to your own rules as well.
# HL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GSA-H10L (pci-0000:00:09.0-ide-1:0)
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-ide-1:0",
SYMLINK+="cdrom", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-ide-1:0",
SYMLINK+="cdrw", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-ide-1:0",
SYMLINK+="dvd", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-ide-1:0",
SYMLINK+="dvdrw", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
# CREATIVEDVD1240E (pci-0000:00:09.0-ide-0:1)
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-ide-0:1",
SYMLINK+="cdrom1", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-ide-0:1",
SYMLINK+="dvd1", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
# DVD1240E (pci-0000:00:09.0-scsi-0:0:1:0)
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-scsi-0:0:1:0",
SYMLINK+="cdrom2", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-scsi-0:0:1:0",
SYMLINK+="dvd2", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
# DVDRAM_GSA-H10L (pci-0000:00:09.0-scsi-1:0:0:0)
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-scsi-1:0:0:0",
SYMLINK+="cdrom3", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-scsi-1:0:0:0",
SYMLINK+="cdrw3", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-scsi-1:0:0:0",
SYMLINK+="dvd3", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-scsi-1:0:0:0",
SYMLINK+="dvdrw3", ENV{GENERATED}="1"

So, as you can see, mine end up being dvd2 & 3 and cdrom 2 & 3 as
opposed to 0 and 1 as I would assume they would be.  I'd love to know
what I need to change to get them fixed.

--
Ph03nix
Adrienne Gusoff  - "Opportunity knocked. My doorman threw him out."

Re: Well done Douglas

Knapp
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 6:36 PM, Silent Ph03nix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> SYMLINK+="dvd2", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
> # DVDRAM_GSA-H10L (pci-0000:00:09.0-scsi-1:0:0:0)
> ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-scsi-1:0:0:0",
> SYMLINK+="cdrom3", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
> ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-scsi-1:0:0:0",
> SYMLINK+="cdrw3", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
> ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-scsi-1:0:0:0",
> SYMLINK+="dvd3", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
> ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-scsi-1:0:0:0",
> SYMLINK+="dvdrw3", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
>
> So, as you can see, mine end up being dvd2 & 3 and cdrom 2 & 3 as
> opposed to 0 and 1 as I would assume they would be.  I'd love to know
> what I need to change to get them fixed.
>
> --
> Ph03nix
> Adrienne Gusoff  - "Opportunity knocked. My doorman threw him out."

As a former programmer, I find that really interesting. I would bet
that they skipped all the installs from before and just started after
that. Mine skips the first slot with one drive and yours skips the
first 2 with 2 drives. Question is was it a mistake or a failed plan?

I would  send that file now but I am not on that computer.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Re: Well done Douglas

Derek Broughton-2
Nils Kassube wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> No, they _must_ have scd0 (at least if they have a CD/DVD, without
>> which they wouldn't get much from kaffeine, anyway!), but they very
>> well may not have /dev/dvd1 (you should only have /dev/dvd1 if you have
>> multiple DVDs)
>
> I'm not sure what you want to say here but I just checked my Kaffeine
> (Xine engine) parameters. They are /dev/cdrom for audio CDs and /dev/dvd
> for DVDs.

Right.  I was replying to:

> I just tested setting them all do /dev/dvd1 and it works to as I
> expected. Perhaps this is better advice for the masses because they
> might not have scd0?

Doug has it backwards.  _All_ systems should have /dev/scd0, but _may_ not
have /dev/dvd1.

> So I think the reason is more likely that if there are multiple CD/DVD
> drives there is no symlink /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd but only /dev/cdrom1
> and /dev/dvd1.

I think the intent was that multiple drives would be numbered 0-n or maybe
1-n, but the first should still also be "dvd" or "cdrom".  But afaict,
neither Douglas nor Rod actually has multiple drives.  After all, if you
have multiple physical devices, you already know you're likely to have to
tell the system which one to use, but if you only have one, everythin
should be able to find it.
--
derek

Re: Well done Douglas

Knapp
$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
# This file maintains persistent names for CD/DVD reader and writer devices.
# See udev(7) for syntax.
#
# Entries are automatically added by the 75-persistent-cd-generator.rules
# file; however you are also free to add your own entries provided you
# add the ENV{GENERATED}=1 flag to your own rules as well.
# TSSTcorpCDDVDW_SH-S182D (pci-0000:00:04.0-ide-0:0)
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:04.0-ide-0:0",
SYMLINK+="cdrom", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:04.0-ide-0:0",
SYMLINK+="cdrw", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:04.0-ide-0:0",
SYMLINK+="dvd", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:04.0-ide-0:0",
SYMLINK+="dvdrw", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
# CDDVDW_SH-S182D (pci-0000:00:04.0-scsi-0:0:0:0)
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:04.0-scsi-0:0:0:0",
SYMLINK+="cdrom1", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:04.0-scsi-0:0:0:0",
SYMLINK+="cdrw1", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:04.0-scsi-0:0:0:0",
SYMLINK+="dvd1", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:04.0-scsi-0:0:0:0",
SYMLINK+="dvdrw1", ENV{GENERATED}="1"

Now that is odd. I have one CD player and have always had one and it
has NEVER changed! Oh, wait a second those 2 are the same?? IS that
normal?

--
Douglas E Knapp

Re: Well done Douglas

Derek Broughton-2
Silent Ph03nix wrote:

> Here are mine from my server.  I have a Creative Labs DVD rom drive
> and a DVD writer in the same box.  Here are my files.
>

> ph03nix@server:~$ ls -l /dev/dvd*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-09-01 12:14 /dev/dvd2 -> scd0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-09-01 12:14 /dev/dvd3 -> scd1
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-09-01 12:14 /dev/dvdrw3 -> scd1
> ph03nix@server:~$ ls -l /dev/cdrom*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-09-01 12:14 /dev/cdrom2 -> scd0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-09-01 12:14 /dev/cdrom3 -> scd1
>
> ph03nix@server:~$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
> # This file maintains persistent names for CD/DVD reader and writer
> # devices. See udev(7) for syntax.
> #
> # Entries are automatically added by the 75-persistent-cd-generator.rules
> # file; however you are also free to add your own entries provided you
> # add the ENV{GENERATED}=1 flag to your own rules as well.
> # HL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GSA-H10L (pci-0000:00:09.0-ide-1:0)
> ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-ide-1:0",
> SYMLINK+="cdrom", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
> ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:09.0-scsi-0:0:1:0",
> SYMLINK+="cdrom2", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
>
> So, as you can see, mine end up being dvd2 & 3 and cdrom 2 & 3 as
> opposed to 0 and 1 as I would assume they would be.  I'd love to know
> what I need to change to get them fixed.

So this is the heart of the problem.  I should have asked for:
 ls -l /dev/disk/by-path
too, but I think I know what it would show.

When your system identified your CD/DVDs as IDE, the hardware "path" was
pci-0000:00:09.0-ide-1:0.  Now that they're being id'd as SCSI, the path is
pci-0000:00:09.0-scsi-0:0:1:0.  When the new symlinks were generated, it
didn't delete the old & obsolete rules.

I believe that if you simply
deleted /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules, on the next reboot it
would be built correctly.  BUT I HAVEN'T TESTED THAT!  So, you might want
to rename the file (to anything that doesn't end with .rules - or into
another directory), reboot, and see what you have.  If a new one isn't
generated, just rename the old one and reboot.
--
derek

Re: Well done Douglas

Derek Broughton-2
Knapp wrote:

> As a former programmer, I find that really interesting. I would bet
> that they skipped all the installs from before and just started after
> that. Mine skips the first slot with one drive and yours skips the
> first 2 with 2 drives. Question is was it a mistake or a failed plan?

Sort of both, I suspect.  When IDE drives first started to migrate to SCSI,
they must have manually removed the old rules, since most of us don't have
this problem.  Yours seem to have been in the second wave of migrations,
and that _didn't_ get done.  I suspect the people testing it had already
been through that migration, so didn't see a regression.
--
derek

Re: Well done Douglas

Derek Broughton-2
Knapp wrote:

> $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
> # This file maintains persistent names for CD/DVD reader and writer
> # devices. See udev(7) for syntax.
> #
> # Entries are automatically added by the 75-persistent-cd-generator.rules
> # file; however you are also free to add your own entries provided you
> # add the ENV{GENERATED}=1 flag to your own rules as well.
> # TSSTcorpCDDVDW_SH-S182D (pci-0000:00:04.0-ide-0:0)
> ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:04.0-ide-0:0",
> SYMLINK+="cdrom", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
> ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:04.0-ide-0:0",
> SYMLINK+="cdrw", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
> ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:04.0-ide-0:0",
> SYMLINK+="dvd", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
> ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:04.0-ide-0:0",
> SYMLINK+="dvdrw", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
> # CDDVDW_SH-S182D (pci-0000:00:04.0-scsi-0:0:0:0)
> ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:04.0-scsi-0:0:0:0",
> SYMLINK+="cdrom1", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
> ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:04.0-scsi-0:0:0:0",
> SYMLINK+="cdrw1", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
> ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:04.0-scsi-0:0:0:0",
> SYMLINK+="dvd1", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
> ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:04.0-scsi-0:0:0:0",
> SYMLINK+="dvdrw1", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
>

> Now that is odd. I have one CD player and have always had one and it
> has NEVER changed! Oh, wait a second those 2 are the same?? IS that
> normal?

I'm not sure which "two" you mean are the same.  The dvd and cdrom links are
to your _players_, the *rw links are to your _recorders_ - and of course
for most people they're all the same physical device.  But the device names
ending in "1" are _not_ the same as the others - one has an IDE path and
the other has a SCSI path.  I'll give you the same advice as phoenix -
rename your 70-persistent-cd.rules to something not ending in .rules,
reboot, and see if it's generated a new, correct, one.  If not, just rename
the old one back.
--
derek

Re: Well done Douglas

Knapp
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:48 PM, Derek Broughton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Knapp wrote:
>
>> As a former programmer, I find that really interesting. I would bet
>> that they skipped all the installs from before and just started after
>> that. Mine skips the first slot with one drive and yours skips the
>> first 2 with 2 drives. Question is was it a mistake or a failed plan?
>>
> Sort of both, I suspect.  When IDE drives first started to migrate to SCSI,
> they must have manually removed the old rules, since most of us don't have
> this problem.  Yours seem to have been in the second wave of migrations,
> and that _didn't_ get done.  I suspect the people testing it had already
> been through that migration, so didn't see a regression.
> --
> derek

But why change it to from IDE to SCSI? My drive is plugged into an IDE port.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Re: Well done Douglas

Knapp
>> I just tested setting them all do /dev/dvd1 and it works to as I
>> expected. Perhaps this is better advice for the masses because they
>> might not have scd0?
>
> Doug has it backwards.  _All_ systems should have /dev/scd0, but _may_ not
> have /dev/dvd1.

No, not backwards. I was thinking that scd0 is the hardward that can
change but dvd1 was the link and should be stable. As I see it now in
SHOULD be DVD but as we have seen that failed and hence the problem in
the first place. I will test out that reboot with the updated files
and see what happens.

Also this idea of using dvd1 should still be right for people with the
same problem as mine. As we have pointed out though it is really a
problem in that other file. What was it?? something70. I need to go
and kill it now.
--
Douglas E Knapp