Quantcast

What does "install" mean?

unkerjay
Here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion

several times is mentioned:

"Install the package"

Now I can "Install":

via "Synaptic Package Manager"

or

via "Ubuntu Software Center"

or

via "sudo apt-get install"

or

via unpacking and doing god knows what since it's never the same:

"filename.tar.bz2"

or

"filename.tar.gz"

SInce the Firefox download for Linux is:

"firefox-3.6.3.tar.bz2"

which

"Install" are you referring to?

If you want to treat me like an idiot for not grasping the "obvious"
go right ahead.

Re: What does "install" mean?

Matthew East
Hi,

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 8:24 AM, unkerjay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion
> several times is mentioned:
> "Install the package"
> Now I can "Install":
> via "Synaptic Package Manager"
> or
> via "Ubuntu Software Center"
> or
> via "sudo apt-get install"
> or
> via unpacking and doing god knows what since it's never the same:
> "filename.tar.bz2"
> or
> "filename.tar.gz"
> SInce the Firefox download for Linux is:
> "firefox-3.6.3.tar.bz2"
> which
> "Install" are you referring to?

I think what is meant is to install the Ubuntu package called
"firefox". You can use Synaptic, software-center, or apt-get to do
that, the effect is the same.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org

Re: What does "install" mean?

Daniel Bo
Installing a package means ... installing a package (i.e. a DEB
package on Ubuntu). The package name is explained in each section. You
can use any supported method to do that (i.e. Synaptic, apt-get,
aptitude, or Ubuntu Software Center). Realistically, you just need to
upgrade after adding one of the PPAs.

Installing a .tar.gz or .tgz is not the same as installing a package
(unless you're a Slackware user) and that is explained in
"."Installing from the Mozilla website."

Dan

Re: What does "install" mean?

yannubuntu@gmail.com
Dear all,

> I think what is meant is to install the Ubuntu package called
> "firefox". You can use Synaptic, software-center, or apt-get to do
> that, the effect is the same.

Last year we had a discussion on this list on how to indicate to
beginners "how to install packages".
I recall the solution that has proven its efficiency for many years in
ubuntu-fr wiki:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Thunderbird#Thunderbird%202.0

It combines simplicity (short), education (link to explanations),
efficiency (apt link allows to install in 1 click).

Best regards
~Yann , ubuntu-fr team

Re: What does "install" mean?

Daniel Bo
apturl is definitely the best way to deal with it.

Re: What does "install" mean?

yannubuntu@gmail.com
> apturl is definitely the best way to deal with it.

Generally yes. The "install the package" link is also important because:
- apt is not implemented by default on all derivatives/versions,
- when there are many packages to be installed at the same time, apt
is not the most convenient.
- this link allows to give, in a simple way, all installation methods
valid for all the supported derivatives and versions, with and without
GUI.
- people who don't have access to internet will need a link to the
off-line method

By the way, in the ubuntu-fr wiki, this "how to install a package"
tutorial is so widely used that we put in the wiki editor a button to
automatically insert it in the edition window. I am going to open a
new thread to discuss about it.

~YannUbuntu