What has fsck -vcck done, to repair a partition?

What has fsck -vcck done, to repair a partition?

Ralf Mardorf-2
Hi,

I already ordered a SSD to replace a fishy HDD. For the moment I run
fsck, since one file caused input/output errors when tar, cp or string
tried to read the file. When it failed, the HDD made click noises.
The file seemingly is repaired, but I don't understand what fsck has
done to repair it [1]. Any clues?

FWIW the Ubuntu that run fsck to repair /dev/sda9 is on another
HDD, it's /dev/sdb.

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ date; time sudo fsck -vcck /dev/sda9; date
Fri Feb  3 15:32:57 CET 2017
[sudo] password for weremouse:
fsck from util-linux 2.27.1
e2fsck 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
Checking for bad blocks (non-destructive read-write test)
Testing with random pattern: done
archlinux: Updating bad block inode.
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
/lost+found not found.  Create<y>? yes
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

archlinux: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

     1962614 inodes used (54.33%, out of 3612672)
       57744 non-contiguous files (2.9%)
        1073 non-contiguous directories (0.1%)
             # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 71053/1016/0
    12471477 blocks used (86.37%, out of 14439168)
           0 bad blocks
           1 large file

     1662652 regular files
      264611 directories
           0 character device files
           0 block device files
           3 fifos
       12857 links
       35338 symbolic links (33323 fast symbolic links)
           0 sockets
------------
     1975461 files

real 60m19.059s
user 1m47.739s
sys 1m39.736s
Fri Feb  3 16:33:16 CET 2017
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ sudo mount -a
[sudo] password for weremouse:
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ cp -ai /mnt/archlinux/usr/src/linux-rt-rosaplüsch/src/linux-4.9.6/net/sunrpc/.clnt.o.d
.clnt.o.d      .clnt.o.d.bak
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ cp -ai /mnt/archlinux/usr/src/linux-rt-rosaplüsch/src/linux-4.9.6/net/sunrpc/.clnt.o.d /mnt/archlinux/usr/src/linux-rt-rosaplüsch/src/linux-4.9.6/net/sunrpc/.clnt.o.d.2bak
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ strings /mnt/archlinux/usr/src/linux-rt-rosaplüsch/src/linux-4.9.6/net/sunrpc/.clnt.o.d | head -1
AdminSocket: do_accept error: '
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ strings /mnt/archlinux/usr/src/linux-rt-rosaplüsch/src/linux-4.9.6/net/sunrpc/.clnt.o.d | head -2
AdminSocket: do_accept error: '
AdminSocket: error reading request code:
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ rm /mnt/archlinux/usr/src/linux-rt-rosaplüsch/src/linux-4.9.6/net/sunrpc/.clnt.o.d*bak
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ ls /mnt/archlinux/usr/src/linux-rt-rosaplüsch/src/linux-4.9.6/net/sunrpc/.clnt.o.d*
/mnt/archlinux/usr/src/linux-rt-rosaplüsch/src/linux-4.9.6/net/sunrpc/.clnt.o.d
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ sudo rm -Ir /mnt/archlinux/lost+found/
rm: remove 1 argument recursively? y
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ ls /var/log/fsck/check
ls: cannot access '/var/log/fsck/check': No such file or directory
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ ls /var/log/fsck/check
checkfs    checkroot
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ ls /var/log/fsck/checkfs
/var/log/fsck/checkfs
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ less /var/log/fsck/checkfs
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ cat /var/log/fsck/checkfs
(Nothing has been logged yet.)
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ lsb_release -d
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$

Re: What has fsck -vcck done, to repair a partition?

compdoc
On 02/03/2017 09:00 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> The file seemingly is repaired, but I don't understand what fsck has
> done to repair it [1]. Any clues?

I couldn't see which drive you were running fsck on, but your T166 320
GB drive has at least 3 bad sectors, and theres a good chance the file
is damaged.

I would personally stop testing or even using the drive, and transfer it
to the new drive as soon as you can.

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 09:55:43 -0700, compdoc wrote:
>On 02/03/2017 09:00 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> The file seemingly is repaired, but I don't understand what fsck has
>> done to repair it [1]. Any clues?
>
>I couldn't see which drive you were running fsck on, but your T166 320
>GB drive has at least 3 bad sectors, and theres a good chance the file
>is damaged.

Hi,

fsck checked one partition of the drive with the pending sectors.

>I would personally stop testing or even using the drive, and transfer
>it to the new drive as soon as you can.

I'll continue using the drive, as long as the new drive isn't
delivered. Everything excepted of xattrs is backed up to
an external HDD and I'm not going to store new important data on this
drive. I don't need to store the xattrs, but if I should do another
backup, I'll use a live media with a version of tar, that supports
xattrs. Usually I use an old Suse 11.2 install to backup other Linux,
with a tar version, that doesn't support the --xattrs option, but again,
I never missed them after restoring from a backup.

Regards,
Ralf