Quantcast

What is "Disks" really

Kevin O'Gorman
I'm a newb on Ubuntu proper (I mostly use Xubuntu), but have recently acquired a machine from
System76, and the warranty only works if I keep it under Ubuntu.  So I do.

Working on a current problem, they have me running the program Disks from the 16.04.2 distro on a USB stick.  That is I enter "Disks" on the Dash, and get a pretty neat diagnostic tool.

Thing is, I can't figure out what program I'm actually running.  I'd like to access it, or get it, on my Xubuntu systems.  It's one of my pet peeves about Ubuntu that you can't tell what you're actually running, so you can't tell what package it came from.

So: does anyone know what this thing is?

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

Re: What is "Disks" really

Oliver Grawert
hi,
On Di, 2017-04-11 at 09:49 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> I'm a newb on Ubuntu proper (I mostly use Xubuntu), but have recently
> acquired a machine from
> System76, and the warranty only works if I keep it under Ubuntu.  So
> I do.
>
> Working on a current problem, they have me running the program Disks
> from the 16.04.2 distro on a USB stick.  That is I enter "Disks" on
> the Dash, and get a pretty neat diagnostic tool.
>
> Thing is, I can't figure out what program I'm actually running.  I'd
> like to access it, or get it, on my Xubuntu systems.  It's one of my
> pet peeves about Ubuntu that you can't tell what you're actually
> running, so you can't tell what package it came from.
>
> So: does anyone know what this thing is?

ogra@styx:~$ grep Name=Disks /usr/share/applications/*
/usr/share/applications/org.gnome.DiskUtility.desktop:Name=Disks

ogra@styx:~$ dpkg -S
/usr/share/applications/org.gnome.DiskUtility.desktop
gnome-disk-utility:
/usr/share/applications/org.gnome.DiskUtility.desktop

the app and package are obviously called gnome-disk-utility :)

ciao
        oli

Xen

Re: What is "Disks" really

Xen
Oliver Grawert schreef op 11-04-2017 19:01:

> the app and package are obviously called gnome-disk-utility :)

File is actually called gnome-disks

http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/amd64/gnome-disk-utility/filelist

/usr/bin/gnome-disks

Greetings.