What is the best program to use for OCR

John Batt
I have a book that I wrote 9 yrs ago and the original copy has been lost
in numerous hard drives over the years.  I have a hard copy left and
don't really feel like retyping all 100 pages.  What is the best
software to use for OCR to get it into Libre/Open Office?

Re: What is the best program to use for OCR

uteck
On Saturday, February 04, 2012 09:26:46 PM John Batt wrote:
> I have a book that I wrote 9 yrs ago and the original copy has been lost
> in numerous hard drives over the years.  I have a hard copy left and
> don't really feel like retyping all 100 pages.  What is the best
> software to use for OCR to get it into Libre/Open Office?

I have heard good things for tesseract-ocr, but gocr is also good.

Re: What is the best program to use for OCR

Paul Lemmons

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OCR

--
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. --Benjamin Franklin

Re: What is the best program to use for OCR

Eric Jackson-5
On 02/04/2012 11:26 PM, John Batt wrote:
> I have a book that I wrote 9 yrs ago and the original copy has been
> lost in numerous hard drives over the years.  I have a hard copy left
> and don't really feel like retyping all 100 pages.  What is the best
> software to use for OCR to get it into Libre/Open Office?

There are several different OCR programs that are available.but there
are also OCR services online, some are free and others charge a fee. I
have found them to work better than the software that I have installed
in Kubuntu.

http://www.onlineocr.net/
http://www.newocr.com/
http://www.free-online-ocr.com/

I have tried these but you can find more using Google.

Eric jackson

Re: What is the best program to use for OCR

tonytong
I find another free online ocr, supports 40+ languages, can convert image to plain txt file and searchable pdf document.