What just happened with the last Ubuntu update?

What just happened with the last Ubuntu update?

MR ZenWiz
I just ran my command line version of the software updater (because it
doesn't work on my desktop), and when the system reboots, it freezes -
hangs up everything - if I try to log in on the normal desktop.

I can log in on one of the consoles in text mode, but as soon as I try
to use the X login, it freezes and nothing brings it back.  I can't
even power it down with the normal power switch, although the restart
switch works.

I tried backing down to the previous kernel (4.4.0-62), but that does
the same thing, so I'm guessing it's something in the latest Xorg or
windows manager that broke.

I'm running Xubuntu 16.04.2 LTS with the following hardware configuration:

M/B: ASRock Z97 Pro4 S/N: 56M0XE052919
CPU: Intel i7-4790K 4GHz S/N: 35447259A3160
ram: 16GB EVGA DDR3 2400MHz (PC3-19200) 2x8G
K/b: Dell DP/N 0U4730 USB PID LZ03778D0AFH
Mou: Logitech MX3000 Cordless Desktop (laser mouse)
sds: /dev/sda Hitachi 1TB SATA-3 S/N: HQ3UNXEB
        /dev/sdb    Patriot Spark SATA-6 256GB SSD S/N: 7D4B076718DF00267932
        /dev/sdc Toshiba 2TB SATA-6 S/N: Y2P4ZHHAS TZ5
        /dev/sdd    Western Digital 2TB SATA-6 WDBGKN0020HNC-NRSN S/N:
WCC4M6VJAY0H
dvd: /dev/sr0 LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 S/N: K9BDAM70413
       /dev/sr1 LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0 S/N:
vid: on-board (Xeon E3 1200 v3, i915 driver)
nic: 10/100/1G on-board
f/w: AMI BIOS P2.20 5/12/2015

Kind of urgent, since that is my main compuer and had all my goodies
on it (I have a backup, but it's not the same power and speed...).

Any suggestions or clues?

Thanks.

Re: What just happened with the last Ubuntu update?

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 09:42:00 -0800, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>Any suggestions or clues?

Take a look at all log files. The Ubuntu help pages explain how to do
this.

Start by taking a look at error messages in the latest X log file, by
running

  grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log

If necessary, continue with the display manager's log files.

If required also take a look at the package management's history. If
you shouldn't find something in the log files, downgrade. I don't
know, if the software update keeps packages
in /var/cache/apt/archives/, if so, downgrading would be easy to do.
After that you could do partial upgrades, to find the culprit. This is
not easy, if the upgrade contains many packages, with many dependency
chains, however start with log files.

Do you only have another computer, or also a "backup" in the sense of a
copied install?

:

> Do you only have another computer, or also a "backup" in the sense of a
> copied install?

First, thanks for the quick response.  Fortunately, a little poking
around with getting a login that worked found another problem and
helped me solve this one (network plugin apparently died).

I have a laptop that has all my critical files backed up on a regular
basis, but it's a laptop and I really don't like the small screen and
compressed keyboard - and it's a 17" one - smallest I can tolerate.

I also temporarily have a whole desktop - the one from which I
upgraded last year - which I was planning to sell.  It doesn't have an
OS on it at the moment.

Anyway, many thanks.  This isn't a good time for me to be lacking a
computer.  I've been out of work for 3 months and having trouble
getting past the interviews,probably because I look old (I'm 61).  The
excuses I get all sound like the typical ageism practiced here in the
US - overqualified, not enthusiastic enough, preferred another
candidate, blah, blah, blah.  Things I never heard when I was and
looked younger.  But I digress...  Not on topic here.

MR

Re: What just happened with the last Ubuntu update?

Liam Proven
On 21 February 2017 at 19:28, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been out of work for 3 months and having trouble
> getting past the interviews,probably because I look old (I'm 61).  The
> excuses I get all sound like the typical ageism practiced here in the
> US - overqualified, not enthusiastic enough, preferred another
> candidate, blah, blah, blah.  Things I never heard when I was and
> looked younger.  But I digress...  Not on topic here.

This problem is what led to me leaving the UK & moving to
eastern/central Europe, where there's much less ageism.

So, being willing to uproot and go travel can really help. I know a
few 40+ techies over here working as expats.

Also see sites such as:

https://www.oldtechiejobs.com/

Re: What just happened with the last Ubuntu update?

Joel Rees
On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 6:43 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21 February 2017 at 19:28, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've been out of work for 3 months and having trouble
>> getting past the interviews,probably because I look old (I'm 61).  The
>> excuses I get all sound like the typical ageism practiced here in the
>> US - overqualified, not enthusiastic enough, preferred another
>> candidate, blah, blah, blah.  Things I never heard when I was and
>> looked younger.  But I digress...  Not on topic here.
>

> This problem is what led to me leaving the UK & moving to
> eastern/central Europe, where there's much less ageism.
>
> So, being willing to uproot and go travel can really help. I know a
> few 40+ techies over here working as expats.
>
> Also see sites such as:
>
> https://www.oldtechiejobs.com/

If you know someone there, you might remind them that it's past time
to get a new certificate for the server.

--
Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist:
http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2017/01/soc500-00-00-toc.html
More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html

On 22 February 2017 at 12:21, Joel Rees <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> https://www.oldtechiejobs.com/
>
> If you know someone there, you might remind them that it's past time
> to get a new certificate for the server.

I don't, unfortunately, and I noticed the problem too.

There is a specific site I had in mind and that is not it, but
regrettably my aging brain is failing to yield a URL...