Where do we translate indicator-datetime (and family) on Launchpad?

Where do we translate indicator-datetime (and family) on Launchpad?

Simos Xenitellis-4
Hi All,

I am trying to fix a couple of issues in the translation of indicator-datetime
(file: /usr/share/locale-langpack/el/LC_MESSAGES/indicator-datetime.mo).
In 18.04 there are many indicator files (indicator-appmenu,
indicator-bluetooth, indicator-session, etc), ten in total.

They do not appear to exist on Launchpad, and those that can be found
there are older versions with not translation templates for Bionic.

Where can I find indicator-datetime on Launchpad with translation template?

Shouldn't they be in
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/+lang/el/+index?batch=150
?

Simos

Re: Where do we translate indicator-datetime (and family) on Launchpad?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Hi Simon,

On 2018-03-28 22:28, Simos Xenitellis wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to fix a couple of issues in the translation of
> indicator-datetime (file:
> /usr/share/locale-langpack/el/LC_MESSAGES/indicator-datetime.mo). In
> 18.04 there are many indicator files (indicator-appmenu,
> indicator-bluetooth, indicator-session, etc), ten in total.
>
> They do not appear to exist on Launchpad, and those that can be
> found there are older versions with not translation templates for
> Bionic.
>
> Where can I find indicator-datetime on Launchpad with translation
> template?
>
> Shouldn't they be in
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/+lang/el/+index?batch=150
> ?

Since those packages are no longer part of standard Ubuntu, they have
been moved from main to universe, and the translation templates have
been dropped from Launchpad (as you have already noticed). If I
understand it correctly, it means that the .mo files will be built from
the .po files present in the source of respective package and end up in
/usr/share/locale/<lang>/LC_MESSAGES next time respective package is
uploaded.

There is a community effort to keep Unity alive going forward, and I
don't know if they have established some new translation interface or if
they expect translators to simply provide updated .po files via bug
reports or maybe as merge proposals here:

https://code.launchpad.net/~indicator-applet-developers/indicator-datetime/trunk.16.10

I sent a copy of this message to Khurshid Alam, who is a driving member
of the ~unity7maintainers LP team. Hopefully he can tell more.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: Where do we translate indicator-datetime (and family) on Launchpad?

Sebastien Bacher
Hey there,

Le 29/03/2018 à 01:56, Gunnar Hjalmarsson a écrit :

Since those packages are no longer part of standard Ubuntu, they have been moved from main to universe, and the translation templates have been dropped from Launchpad (as you have already noticed). If I understand it correctly, it means that the .mo files will be built from the .po files present in the source of respective package and end up in /usr/share/locale/<lang>/LC_MESSAGES next time respective package is uploaded.

Since those projects have been Ubuntu focussed and translators on launchpad are usually working on Ubuntu translations and since we have the translations in good shape for the indicators I think it would make sense to keep using langpacks.

That means adding "X-Ubuntu-Use-Langpack: yes" to their debian/control and doing an upload.

The other way would be to export/download the translations for each indicators, copy them/commit to the source and do an upload. But then you need to keep doing that or you need to communicate to translators that they need to submit their fixes to those projects.

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher

Re: Where do we translate indicator-datetime (and family) on Launchpad?

Simos Xenitellis-4
Thanks Gunnar and Sebastien for your replies.

My goal is to do a quality review of the Greek localization as
provided in the stock Ubuntu 18.04 (i.e. GNOME Shell).
I am at the stage of doing 'msgunfmt' on the installed .mo files in
order to figure out typos and such.

What I understand, is that the various
/usr/share/locale-langpack/LL/LC_MESSAGES/*-indicator.mo files
are provided by the langpack, but their executable files are not
installed/required in GNOME Shell (in 18.04).

I am happy to do a translation update specifically for
datetime-indicator for Unity7 in 18.04 relating to the recent changes
in the datetime formats in glibc.

@Khurshid, please tell me what is more convenient to you to make these
translation changes for Greek.

Simos

On 2018-03-29 13:30, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> My goal is to do a quality review of the Greek localization as
> provided in the stock Ubuntu 18.04 (i.e. GNOME Shell). I am at the
> stage of doing 'msgunfmt' on the installed .mo files in order to
> figure out typos and such.

You shouldn't really need to do that.

> What I understand, is that the various
> /usr/share/locale-langpack/LL/LC_MESSAGES/*-indicator.mo files are
> provided by the langpack,

They are provided by the langpacks at the moment, but if steps are not
taken to prevent it, they will disappear before the release of 18.04
(when a full langpack update is accomplished).

I have posted this to the community hub:

https://community.ubuntu.com/t/translation-of-unity-packages/4919

I'd advise you to await the result of that before dealing with
translations of indicator-* and other Unity packages.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: Where do we translate indicator-datetime (and family) on Launchpad?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Hi again, Simos!

On 2018-04-01 00:41, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> On 2018-03-29 13:30, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
>> My goal is to do a quality review of the Greek localization as
>> provided in the stock Ubuntu 18.04 (i.e. GNOME Shell). I am at the
>> stage of doing 'msgunfmt' on the installed .mo files in order to
>> figure out typos and such.
>
> You shouldn't really need to do that.
>
>> What I understand, is that the various
>> /usr/share/locale-langpack/LL/LC_MESSAGES/*-indicator.mo files are
>> provided by the langpack,
>
> They are provided by the langpacks at the moment, but if steps are not
> taken to prevent it, they will disappear before the release of 18.04
> (when a full langpack update is accomplished).
>
> I have posted this to the community hub:
>
> https://community.ubuntu.com/t/translation-of-unity-packages/4919
>
> I'd advise you to await the result of that before dealing with
> translations of indicator-* and other Unity packages.

There is also <https://launchpad.net/bugs/1760435>. Some work remains to
be done, but if you want to fix some Greek indicator-datetime
translations, you can now do so from the LP interface as usual:

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/+source/indicator-datetime/+pots/indicator-datetime/el

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 8:52 PM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi again, Simos!
>
> On 2018-04-01 00:41, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>>
>> On 2018-03-29 13:30, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
>>>
>>> My goal is to do a quality review of the Greek localization as
>>> provided in the stock Ubuntu 18.04 (i.e. GNOME Shell). I am at the
>>> stage of doing 'msgunfmt' on the installed .mo files in order to
>>> figure out typos and such.
>>

>> You shouldn't really need to do that.
>>
>>> What I understand, is that the various
>>> /usr/share/locale-langpack/LL/LC_MESSAGES/*-indicator.mo files are
>>> provided by the langpack,
>>

>> They are provided by the langpacks at the moment, but if steps are not
>> taken to prevent it, they will disappear before the release of 18.04 (when a
>> full langpack update is accomplished).
>>
>> I have posted this to the community hub:
>>
>> https://community.ubuntu.com/t/translation-of-unity-packages/4919
>>
>> I'd advise you to await the result of that before dealing with
>> translations of indicator-* and other Unity packages.
>

> There is also <https://launchpad.net/bugs/1760435>. Some work remains to be
> done, but if you want to fix some Greek indicator-datetime translations, you
> can now do so from the LP interface as usual:
>
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/+source/indicator-datetime/+pots/indicator-datetime/el

Thanks Gunnar!

Simos

Re: Where do we translate indicator-datetime (and family) on Launchpad?

Gabor Kelemen-2
Hi all

This was my doing, in recent weeks I dropped the templates from Bionic that are no longer in main - either because they  were removed entirely, or just moved to universe.
I did not check " X-Ubuntu-Use-Langpack: yes " in their control files (somehow I can't find their packaging branches anymore, like a few years back), so they may still export their templates.
In total, we are down by more than a hundred templates, many of them part of the Unity environment.
This should help us focus on the still supported components, at least I hoped so.

Sorry for the confusion - if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Regards
Gabor Kelemen

Hi All,

I am trying to fix a couple of issues in the translation of indicator-datetime
(file: /usr/share/locale-langpack/el/LC_MESSAGES/indicator-datetime.mo).
In 18.04 there are many indicator files (indicator-appmenu,
indicator-bluetooth, indicator-session, etc), ten in total.

They do not appear to exist on Launchpad, and those that can be found
there are older versions with not translation templates for Bionic.

Where can I find indicator-datetime on Launchpad with translation template?

Shouldn't they be in
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/+lang/el/+index?batch=150
?

Simos

Re: Where do we translate indicator-datetime (and family) on Launchpad?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Hi Gabor,

Thanks for joining the thread!

On 2018-04-04 11:44, Gabor Kelemen wrote:
> This was my doing, in recent weeks I dropped the templates from
> Bionic that are no longer in main - either because they  were removed
> entirely, or just moved to universe.
> I did not check " X-Ubuntu-Use-Langpack: yes " in their control files
> (somehow I can't find their packaging branches anymore, like a few
> years back), so they may still export their templates.

Dropping templates without checking "X-Ubuntu-Use-Langpack: yes" was a
mistake which caused some confusion and extra work the past few days wrt
Unity.

There seems to have been an early decision to keep using the language
packs for Unity packages, and "X-Ubuntu-Use-Langpack: yes" was added in
the artful cycle to most indicator-* packages and some unity-* packages.
The meaning of that string, besides the fact that it triggers template
creation at build time, is that the .mo files are stripped and thus not
shipped with respective package. Consequently, if this hadn't been
brought to our attention in time (thanks Simos!), the 18.04 release
would have included Unity with a lot of essential translations absent.

Please note that even if Unity is no longer in main, it was said early
that it should be possible for those who upgrade to 18.04 from 16.04 to
keep using Unity, and there is still a unity-session package for the
purpose. Besides, there is a community effort to keep Unity alive going
forward, and the meta package ubuntu-unity-desktop is present in bionic.

Sebastien and I have now reactivated the Unity templates with highest
priority code.

> In total, we are down by more than a hundred templates, many of them
> part of the Unity environment.

To be honest, this sounds scary. An example: A few weeks ago we decided
to keep using the language packs for fcitx and "X-Ubuntu-Use-Langpack:
yes" was added, but I just saw that the template was gone. (Have now
reactivated it.)

Please understand that there are packages not in main for which we
intentionally use the language packs for various reasons. I can't tell
exactly which or how many; Sebastien knows a lot more about it than I do.

Gabor, do you possibly have a list with the templates you deactivated?
> This should help us focus on the still supported components, at least
> I hoped so.

We should indeed help the translators to keep focus on the most
important templates. The Unity templates, which just have been
reactivated, have far too high priority, and are shown among the first
templates on respective language's overview. The priority for those
templates should be lowered.

> Sorry for the confusion - if there is anything I can do to help,
> please let me know.

The list.. to start with.

Rgds,

On 2018-04-04 13:42, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> We should indeed help the translators to keep focus on the most
> important templates. The Unity templates, which just have been
> reactivated, have far too high priority, and are shown among the
> first templates on respective language's overview. The priority for
> those templates should be lowered.

Just did that.