Where to define GRUB_DEFAULT

Helmut Schneider
Hi,

where do I define GRUB_DEFAULT? /etc/default/grub sounds like "this is
the defaults, change it somewhere else". I read somewhere about
/etc/defaults/grub.d/ which does not exist. /etc/grub.d/ esists but
seems to be something else.

So where would I specify e.g. GRUB_DEFAULT?

Thank you!

Re: Where to define GRUB_DEFAULT

Colin Law
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 at 11:13, Helmut Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> where do I define GRUB_DEFAULT? /etc/default/grub sounds like "this is
> the defaults, change it somewhere else". I read somewhere about
> /etc/defaults/grub.d/ which does not exist. /etc/grub.d/ esists but
> seems to be something else.
>
> So where would I specify e.g. GRUB_DEFAULT?

You do it in /etc/default/grub.  Then when you have saved it run sudo
update-grub.  In the comments at the top it should say that.

Colin

> Thank you!

Re: Where to define GRUB_DEFAULT

Tom H-4
On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 12:13 PM Helmut Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

> where do I define GRUB_DEFAULT? /etc/default/grub sounds like "this is
> the defaults, change it somewhere else". I read somewhere about
> /etc/defaults/grub.d/ which does not exist. /etc/grub.d/ esists but
> seems to be something else.
>
> So where would I specify e.g. GRUB_DEFAULT?

There's no "/etc/defaults/" in Ubuntu; or Linux in general.
"GRUB_DEFAULT" is set in "/etc/default/grub". Or, if you don't want to
have to deal with the fact that it's a conffile, you can create
"/etc/default/grub.d/" and override any variable in
"/etc/default/grub" (or set a "grub-mkconfig" variable) by setting it
in "/etc/default/grub.d/*.cfg".