Quantcast

Which openssl for zesty?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Which openssl for zesty?

Jeremy Bicha-2
A few months ago, Ubuntu was hesitant to do the openssl 1.1 transition
because not all packages would work with the new version.

Could we make a decision about what's going to be done for zesty?

If we stick with basically the yakkety stack, we'll need to
temporarily revert changes in several Debian packages that make them
fail to build on Ubuntu currently.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Which openssl for zesty?

Marc Deslauriers-3
On 2017-02-09 06:52 AM, Jeremy Bicha wrote:

> A few months ago, Ubuntu was hesitant to do the openssl 1.1 transition
> because not all packages would work with the new version.
>
> Could we make a decision about what's going to be done for zesty?
>
> If we stick with basically the yakkety stack, we'll need to
> temporarily revert changes in several Debian packages that make them
> fail to build on Ubuntu currently.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy Bicha
>

Feature freeze is next week. The openssl transition is massive, and it will
break third-party software. I think it's way too late for zesty.

Marc.

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Which openssl for zesty?

Dimitri John Ledkov
In reply to this post by Jeremy Bicha-2
On 9 February 2017 at 11:52, Jeremy Bicha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A few months ago, Ubuntu was hesitant to do the openssl 1.1 transition
> because not all packages would work with the new version.
>
> Could we make a decision about what's going to be done for zesty?
>

We are sticking to openssl 1.0, and src:openssl currently provides
meta-packages to point everything to build against openssl 1.0.

> If we stick with basically the yakkety stack, we'll need to
> temporarily revert changes in several Debian packages that make them
> fail to build on Ubuntu currently.
>

Do you have a list for these?

--
Regards,

Dimitri.

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Which openssl for zesty?

Jeremy Bicha-2
On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 8:00 AM, Dimitri John Ledkov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are sticking to openssl 1.0, and src:openssl currently provides
> meta-packages to point everything to build against openssl 1.0.

Thanks for the clarification.

> Do you have a list for these?

No, just look through update_excuses.html or
http://qa.ubuntuwire.org/ftbfs/ and see if anything needs work. Maybe
there aren't that many related build failures left.

Jeremy

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Which openssl for zesty?

Mark Shuttleworth-2

Seems to me that 17.04 is a good release for a sweeping change that
might shake out lots of minor issues. We'd much rather take that hit in
a non-LTS release, and this will let us focus much more on quality as we
head towards 18.04.

Mark

On 09/02/17 13:17, Jeremy Bicha wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 8:00 AM, Dimitri John Ledkov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We are sticking to openssl 1.0, and src:openssl currently provides
>> meta-packages to point everything to build against openssl 1.0.
> Thanks for the clarification.
>
>> Do you have a list for these?
> No, just look through update_excuses.html or
> http://qa.ubuntuwire.org/ftbfs/ and see if anything needs work. Maybe
> there aren't that many related build failures left.
>
> Jeremy
>


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Loading...