Who pulled the plug on the server installer?

Who pulled the plug on the server installer?

Phillip Susi-2
Apparently d-i has been replaced with something called "subiquity".  It
does not support raid or LVM; you know, things you typically install on
a server.  It also ignores existing partitions on the drive and forces
you to blank the drive and start from scratch.  Who thought this was
ready for production?

Re: Who pulled the plug on the server installer?

David Britton
The d-i based installer is still available and supported for bionic.

It's all documented here:

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 10:48 AM, Phillip Susi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Apparently d-i has been replaced with something called "subiquity".  It
does not support raid or LVM; you know, things you typically install on
a server.  It also ignores existing partitions on the drive and forces
you to blank the drive and start from scratch.  Who thought this was
ready for production?

David Britton <[hidden email]>

On 6/4/2018 1:27 PM, Jeffrey Lane wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 9:48 AM, Phillip Susi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Apparently d-i has been replaced with something called "subiquity".  It
>> does not support raid or LVM; you know, things you typically install on
>> a server.  It also ignores existing partitions on the drive and forces
>> you to blank the drive and start from scratch.  Who thought this was
>> ready for production?
>
> Both are available.

Ahh, whew... I was worried the old one had been removed.  Perhaps we
shouldn't be promoting this new live installer on the web site until it
is ready.

Re: Who pulled the plug on the server installer?

Mark Shuttleworth-2
On 06/04/2018 07:22 PM, Phillip Susi wrote:

> Perhaps we shouldn't be promoting this new live installer on the web
> site until it is ready.

The new one is far simpler for the cases it supports; it also can get
refreshed more easily out of cycle (i.e. we can deliver bug fixes to the
installer without rolling a new image iirc). We believe we will have
RAID and LAN bonding for the point release, and the best way to catch
corner cases is to have it as the default for simpler installs now, well
in advance of 18.04.1 LTS which experience has shown is the release
where actual deployments of 18.04 tick up significantly.

Mark

Re: Who pulled the plug on the server installer?

Tom H-4
On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 6:48 PM, Phillip Susi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apparently d-i has been replaced with something called "subiquity". It
> does not support raid or LVM; you know, things you typically install on
> a server. It also ignores existing partitions on the drive and forces
> you to blank the drive and start from scratch. Who thought this was
> ready for production?

subiquity
https://releases.ubuntu.com/bionic/

d-i