Why does 18.04 not detect WiFi devices that 16.04 detects

Why does 18.04 not detect WiFi devices that 16.04 detects

Bret Busby-2
Hello.

I have UbuntuMATE running on different systems - mostly 16.04.x, but,
on one computer, I have 18.04 running.

One of the problems with 18.04, is that it does not detect WiFi
sources, that 16.04 detects.

Both detect my cellphone as a hotspot, okay, but I also have two WiFi
4G modem/routers, and, whilst 16.04.x sees them okay, and, can connect
to them okay, 18.04 does not see them, and, can not detect them.

I tried downloading and running WiFi radar and something named
LinSSID, but, while I can load WiFi Radar, it can only find my
cellphone, and nothing else (18.04 does see a WiFi printer that we
have; an HP one, that 16.04 can see, but WiFi Radar can not even see
that), and, LinSSID does not appear to load. Both of those
applications, are on 18.04.

So, I am wondering why 18.04 does not detect WiFi devices, that 16.04
finds without any problems.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Why does 18.04 not detect WiFi devices that 16.04 detects

Colin Law
On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 at 21:40, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have UbuntuMATE running on different systems - mostly 16.04.x, but,
> on one computer, I have 18.04 running.
>
> One of the problems with 18.04, is that it does not detect WiFi
> sources, that 16.04 detects.

First run a live Image of 16.04 on the PC that is showing the problem
and make sure that it is, in fact, the Ubuntu version that is causing
the problem.

Also make sure that the Firmware (BIOS) is up to date on the
motherboard.  That applies whatever the results of the first test.

You said "One of the problems", I therefore deduce that there are
other problems.  It might be interesting to know what they are.

Colin

On 08/07/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 at 21:40, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have UbuntuMATE running on different systems - mostly 16.04.x, but,
>> on one computer, I have 18.04 running.
>>
>> One of the problems with 18.04, is that it does not detect WiFi
>> sources, that 16.04 detects.
>
> First run a live Image of 16.04 on the PC that is showing the problem
> and make sure that it is, in fact, the Ubuntu version that is causing
> the problem.
>
> Also make sure that the Firmware (BIOS) is up to date on the
> motherboard.  That applies whatever the results of the first test.

From (I think) System Profiler and Benchmarks, or, HardInfo,

BIOS
Date: 09/08/2017
(Because it does not display the date in the ISO format, I do not know
whether that is 09 August, or, 08 September, but it probably does not
make much difference, in this context)
Vendor: AMI
Version: 370H4W0X.103

I am assuming that that is not "up to date", as mitigations have, I
believe, been released, for vulnerabilities in Intel microcode (I
think it is), and, as the operating system is updated, and, includes
means for updating (I think) BIOS/UEFI, the Date should be within the
last couple of months, if operating system security updates would have
updated it.

However, the Date of the BIOS, is, I believe, more recent than the
hardware of the computer running 16.04.x, that detects the wifi
devices that the 18.04 does not detect.

> You said "One of the problems", I therefore deduce that there are
> other problems.  It might be interesting to know what they are.

Missing packages, less functionality, loss of things like menu bars in
applications, menu's and the software installer, don't show packages,
etc, etc, etc. And, some of the packages, like Midori, appear to have
been downgraded.

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 at 22:51, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> BIOS
> Date: 09/08/2017
> (Because it does not display the date in the ISO format, I do not know
> whether that is 09 August, or, 08 September, but it probably does not
> make much difference, in this context)
> Vendor: AMI
> Version: 370H4W0X.103
>
> I am assuming that that is not "up to date", as mitigations have, I
> believe, been released, for vulnerabilities in Intel microcode (I
> think it is), and, as the operating system is updated, and, includes
> means for updating (I think) BIOS/UEFI, the Date should be within the
> last couple of months, if operating system security updates would have
> updated it.

Intel microcode updates via system updates are nothing to do with the
BIOS/EFI Firmware.  Google for your mother board to find the latest
version and how to update.

> However, the Date of the BIOS, is, I believe, more recent than the
> hardware of the computer running 16.04.x, that detects the wifi
> devices that the 18.04 does not detect.

Irrelevant, there are often bug fixes that can affect this sort of
issue, and are not necessarily documented in the bios release notes.

> > You said "One of the problems", I therefore deduce that there are
> > other problems.  It might be interesting to know what they are.
>
> Missing packages, less functionality, loss of things like menu bars in
> applications, menu's and the software installer, don't show packages,
> etc, etc, etc. And, some of the packages, like Midori, appear to have
> been downgraded.

OK, I thought you might have meant hardware/software issues rather
than spec changes.

You haven't said the results of running live 16.04 on the machine.
Also would be interesting to run 18.04 live on the one's that do find
the access points.

Colin

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 at 23:51, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Vendor: AMI
> Version: 370H4W0X.103

As Bret normally tends to ignore my comments I will be brief.

Listen to Colin's advice. Do all that he says.

The above reference is no help.

You need to find the exact make and model of your motherboard -- get
it from the POST screen when you first turn it on. Try getting into
SETUP; there will probably be an on-screen message to tell you how.
Find your version, look online for updates. Compare yours to the
updated version.

If that is too hard, tell us the make and model and we can tell you if
it is current.

On 08/07/2019, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 at 23:51, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Vendor: AMI
>> Version: 370H4W0X.103
>
> As Bret normally tends to ignore my comments I will be brief.

Loud raspberry.

Personal denigrations help no-one.

As it happens, today, after coming back to the computer, after being
away (with my cellphone, that I use as a wifi hotspot for the
computers that have wifi, to access the Internet) for a couple of
hours, the network manager (I assume that it is the network manager),
or, otherwise, the icon in the panel, that shows the signal strength
for  wifi connections, and, the ethernet/wifi connection status, upon
being clicked, displayed the available wifi connection devices.

Then, a few minutes later, it did not, again, showing just my cellphone.

Then, a few minutes later, it again displayed all the available wifi
connection devices.

So, I assume that the utility involved, is intermittent.

Oh, and, the reason that I had not gone into the BIOS/UEFI, or, booted
using a 16.04 iso image (all Ubuntu iso image discs, are LIVE, are
they not?), is due to having wanted to preserve the system state (open
web browser windows, etc), unless I absolutely needed to reboot (like
for a security update involving kernel upgrades).

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 at 12:58, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Then, a few minutes later, it did not, again, showing just my cellphone.
>
> Then, a few minutes later, it again displayed all the available wifi
> connection devices.
>
> So, I assume that the utility involved, is intermittent.

That sounds more likely to be a hardware issue (but could still be the
BIOS).  Look in /var/log/syslog while it is coming/going and see what
it says about it.  First update the BIOS though if it is not up to
date.

Colin

> Oh, and, the reason that I had not gone into the BIOS/UEFI, or, booted
> using a 16.04 iso image (all Ubuntu iso image discs, are LIVE, are
> they not?), is due to having wanted to preserve the system state (open
> web browser windows, etc), unless I absolutely needed to reboot (like
> for a security update involving kernel upgrades).

Well if you want to be certain whether it is an Ubuntu version problem
then that is the way to do it.  You could try running 18.04 on one of
the other machines of course if you don't mind re-booting one of them.
Personally I very much doubt that it is the Ubuntu version that is the
problem.

Colin

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 at 13:58, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Personal denigrations help no-one.

It's an observation not a denigration. However, thank you for replying
and falsifying it!

> As it happens, today, after coming back to the computer, after being
> away (with my cellphone, that I use as a wifi hotspot for the
> computers that have wifi, to access the Internet) for a couple of
> hours, the network manager (I assume that it is the network manager),
> or, otherwise, the icon in the panel, that shows the signal strength
> for  wifi connections, and, the ethernet/wifi connection status, upon
> being clicked, displayed the available wifi connection devices.
>
> Then, a few minutes later, it did not, again, showing just my cellphone.
>
> Then, a few minutes later, it again displayed all the available wifi
> connection devices.

So, it's an intermittent problem.

What you describe sounds a little to me like a poorly or
intermittently connected wifi antenna. When the connection fails, it
can pick up a very close signal -- the phone -- but not distant ones.

If this is the case, then trying other distro versions -- not
installing, just booting -- will help to verify it.

> Oh, and, the reason that I had not gone into the BIOS/UEFI, or, booted
> using a 16.04 iso image (all Ubuntu iso image discs, are LIVE, are
> they not?), is due to having wanted to preserve the system state (open
> web browser windows, etc), unless I absolutely needed to reboot (like
> for a security update involving kernel upgrades).

Bookmark your tabs. Maybe use a browser-sync tool to make sure you can
access them on another machine. You can even hibernate Ubuntu, if you
have that enabled, to reboot and get into the BIOS.

(If it's not enabled, then enable it.)

However, booting a live medium will access your swap partition where
the hibernated image is stored, so don't boot a live image on a
hibernated system unless you don't mind losing the saved state. It
shouldn't harm the install at all.

Re: Why does 18.04 not detect WiFi devices that 16.04 detects

Mike Marchywka
On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 12:31:39PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 at 13:58, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Personal denigrations help no-one.
>
> It's an observation not a denigration. However, thank you for replying
> and falsifying it!
>
> > As it happens, today, after coming back to the computer, after being
> > away (with my cellphone, that I use as a wifi hotspot for the
> > computers that have wifi, to access the Internet) for a couple of
> > hours, the network manager (I assume that it is the network manager),
> > or, otherwise, the icon in the panel, that shows the signal strength
> > for  wifi connections, and, the ethernet/wifi connection status, upon
> > being clicked, displayed the available wifi connection devices.
> >
> > Then, a few minutes later, it did not, again, showing just my cellphone.
> >
> > Then, a few minutes later, it again displayed all the available wifi
> > connection devices.

I have been through Ubuntu 11 ( on laptop with internal wifi) and Debian
on e-machine with wifi card or 'Beaver and now on new Precision with external
wifi antenna running Ubuntu 16.04. Somewhere in all of that I thought
I saw a huge delay in finding access points but never investigated.

I guess you could run iwlist a few times and see what it finds
with more frequenct scans. I guess it is also possible your phone
interferes and that varies with exact location or some quirk of the
driver. Maybe you could check frequencies in iwlist.

 sudo iwlist wlo1 scanning  | grep Freq
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                    Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
                    Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
                    Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                    Frequency:2.442 GHz (Channel 7)
                    Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                    Frequency:2.442 GHz (Channel 7)
                    Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)

> So, it's an intermittent problem.
>
> What you describe sounds a little to me like a poorly or
> intermittently connected wifi antenna. When the connection fails, it
> can pick up a very close signal -- the phone -- but not distant ones.
>
> If this is the case, then trying other distro versions -- not
> installing, just booting -- will help to verify it.
>
> > Oh, and, the reason that I had not gone into the BIOS/UEFI, or, booted
> > using a 16.04 iso image (all Ubuntu iso image discs, are LIVE, are
> > they not?), is due to having wanted to preserve the system state (open
> > web browser windows, etc), unless I absolutely needed to reboot (like
> > for a security update involving kernel upgrades).
>
> Bookmark your tabs. Maybe use a browser-sync tool to make sure you can
> access them on another machine. You can even hibernate Ubuntu, if you
> have that enabled, to reboot and get into the BIOS.
>
> (If it's not enabled, then enable it.)
>
> However, booting a live medium will access your swap partition where
> the hibernated image is stored, so don't boot a live image on a
> hibernated system unless you don't mind losing the saved state. It
> shouldn't harm the install at all.
>
> --
> Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
> Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
> UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
canton GA 30115
USA, Earth