Wiki/ Use of SubPages

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wiki/ Use of SubPages

Mauricio Hernandez Z.
I have seen too many Page/SubPages in the wiki.

Afaik, this will stop 'easy to link pages' when writing because
users/editors will have to know the full url path in order to make his
doc link to th previous page. Otherwise, he'll be potentially creating
a new page :(

What do you say? Do we need subpages?
Can't all be NormalPageLevel?
--
Cordialmente,

Mauricio Hernandez Z.

"Hell is repeating someone else's mistakes" (JPS)

--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wiki/ Use of SubPages

Matthew East
On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 23:24 -0300, Mauricio Hernandez wrote:
> I have seen too many Page/SubPages in the wiki.
>
> Afaik, this will stop 'easy to link pages' when writing because
> users/editors will have to know the full url path in order to make his
> doc link to th previous page. Otherwise, he'll be potentially creating
> a new page :(
>
> What do you say? Do we need subpages?
> Can't all be NormalPageLevel?

I like subpages, they can be extremely useful, especially in a wiki with
lots of different types of content. In fact, I would like it if team
pages looked like this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/pagename
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Docteam/pagename

Yes, people need to know the full url in order to make links, but I
believe that happens with normal page levels too, especially given the
complexity of some of the page names. Anyway, when you are writing a
document or webpage, and want to make a link, it's normal practise to
look the url up.

We should look at what benefits the end user, not the editor, first.
Better wiki organisation can be achieved through subpages (see
Installation/) and this benefits the user.

Obviously, excessive use of subpages gets silly.

Matt
--
[hidden email]
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wiki/ Use of SubPages

Mauricio Hernandez Z.
Yes, Mathew. From DocTeam POV, organisation is a must. From enduser
POV, finding info quickly and intuitively is a must.

>From a wikiness POV, horizontal level of pages is the coolest idea
because AFAIK, wikis are ment to edit, share and add documentation in
the most easy, simple and quickest way, 'auto-generating-links'.

As wikis are based on simplicity, it is suppossed than when I create a
page, I'll use a name for it as if I were talking about it, and so
when other person or me is editing a new page and writes down ideas,
these ideas may potentially already exist as pages (written in the
same exact name  or maybe similar). Once editor saves page, he must
wait for that page to show up (already saved) and check typos or
unexistant links. If he sees unexistant links, he should (theory)
click on them and see what other pages already exist with similar
names (at least Moin way) and either use one of those and so redit
newly created page or just create his unexistant page using a template
or from scratch.
No matter what I name the page after, users usually tend to rememeber
page names when they are written in a simple-obvious way. I never
remember  http://www.educalibre.cl/?q=node/355  or
<a href="http://wiki.edubuntu.org/endusers/m2123$%7=?the_1st.php">http://wiki.edubuntu.org/endusers/m2123$%7=?the_1st.php  or similar
names.

And if we can't remember page names (urls), then we'll always have to
look up for the info we want before editing. Then once we edit and
save, if any of those links is broken, how will we know there's even
pages with similar contents? (Moin cannot tell us unless names tend to
be obvious)

When SubPages (or unnecesary subpages) exist, they may brake the
previously described process. If we endup breaking this 'normal' wiki
process, then is it wiki what we really need? If we need a fully
structured site (I mean if Categories and RC is not enough), is it
wiki what we need?
--
Cordialmente,

Mauricio Hernandez Z.

"Hell is repeating someone else's mistakes" (JPS)

--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc