Window Share Problem

Siepmann Rolf

Hi All,

I mounted a windows share using

//xxx.de/logs /media/ezproxy cifs credentials=/root/yyy,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0

in /etc/fstab/

I works well, I can read the files in media/ezproxy.

There is no process running on this share, I am not reading or writing any data there.

Now, after a while the server the simply breaks down because of too much memory and cpu usage. I am definitely sure it is only this mount crashing the server.

I am running a 16.04 LTS Ubuntu Server on a hyper-v VM, which I upgraded from 14.04 LTS.

Does anyone have any idea what the reason may be? What could be the relationship between the mount and the extreme server load?

Thank you for your help!

Rolf

Re: Window Share Problem

Liam Proven
On Fri, 4 May 2018 at 10:35, Siepmann Rolf
<[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Now, after a while the server the simply breaks down because of too much
memory and cpu usage. I am definitely sure it is only this mount crashing
the server.

Why are you sure? What is your evidence?

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

AW: Window Share Problem

Siepmann Rolf
I mount the share and the server crashes, I umount it and the server works well ...

In the share I can access 14 logfiles, each about 300MB

wrote:

> Now, after a while the server the simply breaks down because of too
> much
memory and cpu usage. I am definitely sure it is only this mount crashing the server.

Why are you sure? What is your evidence?

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Re: Window Share Problem

Liam Proven
On Fri, 4 May 2018 at 13:21, Siepmann Rolf
<[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I mount the share and the server crashes, I umount it and the server
works well ...

> In the share I can access 14 logfiles, each about 300MB

Please bottom-post on this and all mailing lists. Your reply should go
_below_ the _trimmed_ text -- the part you are replying to. As I have done.

So:

[1] You _are_ reading data there. These log files.

What if you copy them locally and read/write them there? Same problem?

[2] if it is CPU and memory overload, what process(es) are using so much?

On Fri, 4 May 2018 at 14:03 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

> [1] You _are_ reading data there. These log files.
> What if you copy them locally and read/write them there? Same problem?

I just mounted the share and stopped reading them; usually, there is a cronjob analyzing and importing the logfile data in a mysql database. The server crashes after some days.

There seems to be no problem with the logfiles:
        root@Piwik:~/tmp# cp /media/ezproxy/ezp20180503.log .
        root@Piwik:~/tmp# du -h ezp20180503.log
        257M    ezp20180503.log
        root@Piwik:~/tmp# vim ezp20180503.log

> [2] if it is CPU and memory overload, what process(es) are using so much?

It is the mysql server that has to track several websites. But as I mentioned, I stopped importing the logfiles. When the share is mounted, the server breaks, if it is unmounted everything works fine

Thank you for your help

Re: Window Share Problem

Colin Law

On Fri, 4 May 2018, 15:47 Siepmann Rolf, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 4 May 2018 at 14:03 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

> [1] You _are_ reading data there. These log files.
> What if you copy them locally and read/write them there? Same problem?

I just mounted the share and stopped reading them; usually, there is a cronjob analyzing and importing the logfile data in a mysql database. The server crashes after some days.

There seems to be no problem with the logfiles:
        root@Piwik:~/tmp# cp /media/ezproxy/ezp20180503.log .
        root@Piwik:~/tmp# du -h ezp20180503.log
        257M    ezp20180503.log
        root@Piwik:~/tmp# vim ezp20180503.log

> [2] if it is CPU and memory overload, what process(es) are using so much?

It is the mysql server that has to track several websites. But as I mentioned, I stopped importing the logfiles. When the share is mounted, the server breaks, if it is unmounted everything works fine

What do you see in /var/log/syslog at the time it fails?

Colin

Thank you for your help