Windows opening half off screen - they are not accessible

Windows opening half off screen - they are not accessible

Wade Smart-2
This morning after starting my laptop I opened gedit and
it opened half off screen. I opened Chrome to get to my
email and it opened half off screen. I cant click on them
to move them back onto screen. I was able to open firefox
and it opened in the middle of the screen. Ive had no
external monitors connected or change in display. How can
I move them back?

Wade
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Re: Windows opening half off screen - they are not accessible

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 11:17:29 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>This morning after starting my laptop I opened gedit and
>it opened half off screen. I opened Chrome to get to my
>email and it opened half off screen. I cant click on them
>to move them back onto screen. I was able to open firefox
>and it opened in the middle of the screen. Ive had no
>external monitors connected or change in display. How can
>I move them back?

Hi,

you neither mentioned the used window manager and/or desktop
environment, nor the release of Ubuntu you are using. If you at least
would mention the release, we could guess that you are using the
release's default environment.

I'm an openbox user. Openbox allows to move windows, if the mouse
pointer is somewhere over the window and you push the Alt-key and keep
the left mouse key pushed.

If such a feature shouldn't be supported by your window manager/desktop
environment , perhaps maximising the window by a keystroke does the
trick.

Are you using Unity?

Regarding
https://askubuntu.com/questions/28086/what-are-unitys-keyboard-and-mouse-shortcuts :

"[snip]

Window Management

[snip]

    Ctrl + Super + ↑ - Maximize the current window
    Ctrl + Super + ↓ - Restore/Minimize the current window (seems to be
    buggy at the moment)
    Ctrl + Super + ← - Maximize current window to the left
    Ctrl + Super + → - Maximize current window to the right

Window Placement

If you cycle through the same key Unity will cycle through different
placement widths, so experiment by hitting the numkey multiple times,
for example Ctrl + Alt + numpad 5 + 5 + 5:

    Ctrl-Alt + Numpad 7 - Place window in top left corner of screen.
    Ctrl-Alt + Numpad 8 - Place window in top half of screen.
    Ctrl-Alt + Numpad 9 - Place window in top right corner of screen.
    Ctrl-Alt + Numpad 5 - Center/Maximize the window in the middle of
    the screen. In 12.04 this toggles between maximize and restore state
    Ctrl-Alt + Numpad 1 - Place window in the bottom left corner of the
    screen.
    Ctrl-Alt + Numpad 2 - Place window in the bottom half of the screen.
    Ctrl-Alt + Numpad 3 - Place window in the bottom right corner of
    the screen.
    Ctrl-Alt + Numpad 0 - Minimize the current window (Ubuntu 12.04.1).

[snip]"

I don't know what window managers are used for Unity or Gnome by
default Ubuntu installs, you could google it and then search for window
management keystrokes. It also would be possible to use the command
line. Apropos command line, one of the programs to handle windows by
command line also allows to determine what window manager is used, run

  wmctrl -m

To get info about your Ubuntu release, run

  lsb_release -a

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Windows opening half off screen - they are not accessible

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 09.08.2017, 11:17 -0500 schrieb Wade Smart:
> This morning after starting my laptop I opened gedit and
> it opened half off screen. I opened Chrome to get to my
> email and it opened half off screen. I cant click on them
> to move them back onto screen. I was able to open firefox
> and it opened in the middle of the screen. Ive had no
> external monitors connected or change in display. How can
> I move them back?

alt+click on the window content should allow you to move them around
(if not then i'd guess your window manager is missing or broken or so)

ciao
        oli

Re: Windows opening half off screen - they are not accessible

Wade Smart-2
Yes, Im on Ubuntu 16.06 with Unity.

Oliver, the alt+click works on some but not the others.
The top bar seems to be too far up to grab and it doesnt
work just clicking anywhere on the app.

Wade

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
> Am Mittwoch, den 09.08.2017, 11:17 -0500 schrieb Wade Smart:
>> This morning after starting my laptop I opened gedit and
>> it opened half off screen. I opened Chrome to get to my
>> email and it opened half off screen. I cant click on them
>> to move them back onto screen. I was able to open firefox
>> and it opened in the middle of the screen. Ive had no
>> external monitors connected or change in display. How can
>> I move them back?
>
> alt+click on the window content should allow you to move them around
> (if not then i'd guess your window manager is missing or broken or so)

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

Re: Windows opening half off screen - they are not accessible

Colin Law

On 9 Aug 2017 10:38 p.m., "Wade Smart" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, Im on Ubuntu 16.06 with Unity.

Oliver, the alt+click works on some but not the others.
The top bar seems to be too far up to grab and it doesnt
work just clicking anywhere on the app.

Do you mean 16.04?

It should work on all windows. Can you give an example where it does not?

If you open the displays configuration applet from Settings and change the screen resolution and accept it, then change it back again, that may pull them back on screen. Having typed that it occurs to me that the initial problem may be that the screen resolution may have reduced somehow and all you need do is to set it back to what it should be.

Alternatively, if you click on a window and hit alt F4 that should close that window. The reopening the app may solve the problem.

Colin

Wade

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi,
> Am Mittwoch, den 09.08.2017, 11:17 -0500 schrieb Wade Smart:
>> This morning after starting my laptop I opened gedit and
>> it opened half off screen. I opened Chrome to get to my
>> email and it opened half off screen. I cant click on them
>> to move them back onto screen. I was able to open firefox
>> and it opened in the middle of the screen. Ive had no
>> external monitors connected or change in display. How can
>> I move them back?
>
> alt+click on the window content should allow you to move them around
> (if not then i'd guess your window manager is missing or broken or so)

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

Re: Windows opening half off screen - they are not accessible

Chris Green
On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 04:37:14PM -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
> Yes, Im on Ubuntu 16.06 with Unity.
>
> Oliver, the alt+click works on some but not the others.
> The top bar seems to be too far up to grab and it doesnt
> work just clicking anywhere on the app.

Alt-click should work anywhere in a window, it does for me.

--
Chris Green

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 1:37 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 Aug 2017 10:38 p.m., "Wade Smart" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, Im on Ubuntu 16.06 with Unity.
>
> Oliver, the alt+click works on some but not the others.
> The top bar seems to be too far up to grab and it doesnt
> work just clicking anywhere on the app.
>

> Do you mean 16.04?
>
> It should work on all windows. Can you give an example where it does not?
>
> If you open the displays configuration applet from Settings and change the
> screen resolution and accept it, then change it back again, that may pull
> them back on screen. Having typed that it occurs to me that the initial
> problem may be that the screen resolution may have reduced somehow and all
> you need do is to set it back to what it should be.
>
> Alternatively, if you click on a window and hit alt F4 that should close
> that window. The reopening the app may solve the problem.
>
> Colin
>

> Wade
>

> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> hi,
>> Am Mittwoch, den 09.08.2017, 11:17 -0500 schrieb Wade Smart:
>>> This morning after starting my laptop I opened gedit and
>>> it opened half off screen. I opened Chrome to get to my
>>> email and it opened half off screen. I cant click on them
>>> to move them back onto screen. I was able to open firefox
>>> and it opened in the middle of the screen. Ive had no
>>> external monitors connected or change in display. How can
>>> I move them back?
>>
>> alt+click on the window content should allow you to move them around
>> (if not then i'd guess your window manager is missing or broken or so)
>
> --
> Registered Linux User: #480675
> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> Linux since June 2005

Colin, I just opened Pidgin and it opens half off the screen.
When I hold down Alt and attempt to click on it, I can not.
But, if I right click and move it to another desktop space I
am able to Alt+click on it and move it to the center of the
screen and then move it back to desktop one.

I do not use multiple desktops but I have turned that feature
on to do just this.

Chrome is also having trouble. When I start it, it opens
only about 1/4th the screen. When I try to go full screen it
only goes maybe 60%. I can manually resize it to full screen.

I just changed the display to 1152x768 from 1366x768.
Opening gedit it now opens off screen to the top. I can grab
with Alt+click to move it.

I really dont know what would have changed to cause
this but, might be a good excuse to for a fresh install
on the next upgrade.

On 9 August 2017 at 18:17, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This morning after starting my laptop I opened gedit and
> it opened half off screen.

Do you have a 2nd monitor or screen or TV or projector connected but turned off?

Anything at all plugged into any kind of display port?

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 12:58:07 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>Do you have a 2nd monitor or screen or TV or projector connected but
>turned off?

If so, xrandr is your friend, since for X you still need to turn off the
secondary monitor, that is turned off, but still connected by a HDMI,
VGA or what ever cord.

Re: Windows opening half off screen - they are not accessible

Liam Proven
On 18 August 2017 at 13:06, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If so, xrandr is your friend, since for X you still need to turn off the
> secondary monitor, that is turned off, but still connected by a HDMI,
> VGA or what ever cord.

Whereas this is true as far as it goes...

[1] Just unplugging it is far easier.

[2] Most desktops include their own display-config tools, and these
are preferable to ``xrandr''.

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 13:15:10 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:

>On 18 August 2017 at 13:06, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>
>> If so, xrandr is your friend, since for X you still need to turn off
>> the secondary monitor, that is turned off, but still connected by a
>> HDMI, VGA or what ever cord.
>
>Whereas this is true as far as it goes...
>
>[1] Just unplugging it is far easier.
It's at least not easier, if it should be hard getting access to a
screwed D-Sub.

>[2] Most desktops include their own display-config tools, and these
>are preferable to ``xrandr''.

Tools such as lxrandr are much too unrefined.

I'm using a script, not only based upon xrandr, but also to
correct panels and wallpaper, if needed. The wanted settings are
available by a sub-section of the panel's main menu, see attachment.

shot.jpg (25K) Download Attachment

On 18 August 2017 at 14:00, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's at least not easier, if it should be hard getting access to a
> screwed D-Sub.

It's a laptop.