Wine Install Help

Wade Smart
11082005 1539 GMT-5

I just got Sidenet Wine Config Utility Version 1.9.0 from 10 29 2005. It
says: "Caution: This utility requires wine >=20040716. Tested with wine
0.9."

Im looking in Synaptic and I see wine 0.0.20050725-0ubuntu1.
This is the wrong version of wine.

How do you get a older version of wine?

Wade

Re: Wine Install Help

Peter Garrett
On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 15:43:29 -0600
Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 11082005 1539 GMT-5
>
> I just got Sidenet Wine Config Utility Version 1.9.0 from 10 29 2005. It
> says: "Caution: This utility requires wine >=20040716. Tested with wine
> 0.9."

I know nothing about wine "per se", but this clearly says "requires wine >=20040716" , which I assume is to be read as "greater than or equal to"

> Im looking in Synaptic and I see wine 0.0.20050725-0ubuntu1.
> This is the wrong version of wine.

20050725 >= 20040716  is it not ? Or have I missed something?

> How do you get a older version of wine?

I don't see why you would need to ?

> Wade

Peter

--

Linux User #343161

Re: Wine Install Help

Wade Smart
11082005 1935 GMT-5

Actually I did need IE to access some company sites. Though now I see I
need a license. What is up with that?

I used sidenet before because I had trouble getting things to work
right. Im still so very new to linux that I spend lots of time
researching what ./configure means.

Thanks though.

Wade

'Forum Post wrote:

> Wade Smart Wrote:
>
>>11082005 1539 GMT-5
>>
>>I just got Sidenet Wine Config Utility Version 1.9.0 from 10 29 2005.
>>It
>>says: "Caution: This utility requires wine >=20040716. Tested with wine
>>
>>0.9."
>>
>>Im looking in Synaptic and I see wine 0.0.20050725-0ubuntu1.
>>This is the wrong version of wine.
>>
>>How do you get a older version of wine?
>>
>>Wade
>>
>>--
>

> Actually, you could go to the Wine homepage http://www.winehq.org
> and download the newest version, wine 0.9 in .deb format.
> It's been tested on Ubuntu Breezy, so it should work(it does for me!).
> I believe it works with Sidenet just fine.
>
> Once you download the .debs, you can install them by moving to the
> directory
> where they are sitting and typing this in the terminal:
>
>>sudo dpkg -i  (insert the full name of the wine package you downloaded
>>here)
>

> Just so you know, you don't have to use Sidenet or any other utility if
> you install the .debs,unless you must have IE or something, since Wine
> works well out of the box.

Re: Wine Install Help

ulrich steffens
Am Dienstag, den 08.11.2005, 19:37 -0600 schrieb Wade Smart:

> 11082005 1935 GMT-5
>
> Actually I did need IE to access some company sites. Though now I see I
> need a license. What is up with that?
>
> I used sidenet before because I had trouble getting things to work
> right. Im still so very new to linux that I spend lots of time
> researching what ./configure means.
>
> Thanks though.
>
> Wade

wade,
don't bother that much about configure, because its too 'universal'.
i'm NOT a programmer but user and sometimes there is a need to compile a
program by yourself. fortunately linux makes this quite easy!
i know my following 'explanation' will make devs or advanced users mad,
but... hey this is linux for humans ;)

basically, with configure you 'prepare' the program to compile it the
way you want. this script checks for all the necessary libraries it
needs/depends on to actually build. sets, enables/disables, overwrites
options with the options you set. in most cases not of interest.
whats of interest ist the '--prefix' option.
on debian-systems, and therefore ubuntu, you always should pass the
'--prefix' option like './configure --prefix=/usr'. this has to do with
the way the debians arrange and manage libraries and whatnot. i'm just a
lowlevel user, so ask not me for the deeper sense.
and as always './configure --help' gives you all the options the
particular script has. and since every program is different it is likely
that they all have different options. a program that plays all kinds of
mediafiles will have options for disabling/enabling filetypes/formats, a
'simple' commandline tool that doews something with your
network-connection most likely will not options for this.

and if you compile a program use checkinstall!
it helps you keep track of software you compile and helps you if you
decide to remove it. it basically generates a .deb file for you so you
can uninstall the program later with synaptic or with dpkg.
it works like

./configure --prefix=/user
make
sudo checkinstall (instead of sudo make install)
it then asks you some nobrainer questions and youre set.

this is, as i said above, just some *very* basic info! and on a
sidenote: since this is linux and not windows, you're working in a
somewhat safe environment and in most cases you cannot hose your system
that fast as in win. so trying out can't damage that much. but be
careful with sudo, this is godmode :)
and if something goes wrong, theres always a chance to get your system
back up running fine.

for wine, head over to http://frankscorner.org/ it has some nice info
about wine and IE/sidenet.

hope this helps