Wiped external hard drive clean by accident

Wiped external hard drive clean by accident

Douglas Pollard-3
  Hell Douglas Pollard here. I was reformatting a few thumb drives that
were given to me.  I was using G-parted and left my 4 terrabyte "MY
Book" USB external Hard drive plugged in and  wiped it clean Ubuntu
can't see it and either can G-parted. AS soon as I relised it was being
reformatted I panicked and stopped it now it seems there is nothing
there.  A friend said windows 10 could reformat it but I don't have
windows on anything. I have notice the progress bar I guess in (Grub 2)
that goes across to start Ubuntu hesitates  before reaching the end and
ubuntu will not start so I guess it is trying to read the external drive
and fails. Unplug  the drive and Ubuntu starts so it seems some thing
can see it and is trying to read it.?  Any help with this would be
appreciated.    Doug

Re: Wiped external hard drive clean by accident

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Doug,

On 30 June 2018 at 19:01, Douglas Pollard <[hidden email]> wrote:
 Hell Douglas Pollard here. I was reformatting a few thumb drives that were given to me.  I was using G-parted and left my 4 terrabyte "MY Book" USB external Hard drive plugged in and  wiped it clean Ubuntu can't see it and either can G-parted. AS soon as I relised it was being reformatted I panicked and stopped it now it seems there is nothing there.  A friend said windows 10 could reformat it but I don't have windows on anything. I have notice the progress bar I guess in (Grub 2) that goes across to start Ubuntu hesitates  before reaching the end and ubuntu will not start so I guess it is trying to read the external drive and fails. Unplug  the drive and Ubuntu starts so it seems some thing can see it and is trying to read it.?  Any help with this would be appreciated.    Doug

Oo. Painful. I don't know how to get your data back for sure but see below...

First off, some suggestions for the use of GPartEd.
* Use the "View" menu to switch on the display of device information - makes it harder to get confused as to which device is what

Whilst checking details for my reply, I stumbled across something... GPartEd's "Device" menu has an "Attempt data rescue..." option. Make sure you are referring to the right device before you try this option. Don't know how effective this is.

However, if you want to get your 4TB "My Book" drive back, and you've resigned yourself to your data being unrecoverable, you can use GPartEd to set up your drive for future use. Things to explore in GPartEd:-
* Using the Device menu to "Create Partition Table" and then press "Apply" (the tick icon).
* Using the Partition menu "New" option to create a Partition and then use the same menu to "Format to" the partition press "Apply" (the tick icon).

HTH,

Ian

Re: Wiped external hard drive clean by accident

Jeff Lane-2

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 14:33 Ian Bruntlett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Or you pay a data recovery company to attempt to recover what they can from the drive.

HTH,

Ian

Re: Wiped external hard drive clean by accident

Colin Law
On 30 June 2018 at 19:01, Douglas Pollard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   Ubuntu can't see it and either can G-parted.

If gparted is not seeing it at all then open a terminal and run
tail -f /var/log/syslog
then plug it in and see what is added to syslog.  Copy/paste that here
if it doesn't help.  You can use Ctrl+Shit+C to copy from the terminal
window.

Colin

Re: Wiped external hard drive clean by accident

Ian Bruntlett
Hi ,

On 30 June 2018 at 19:37, J <[hidden email]> wrote
Or you pay a data recovery company to attempt to recover what they can from the drive.

I recently used CAINE (https://www.caine-live.net/) to recover some data from a poorly Windows system.

It might be useful. I found it very cryptic to use and had to research how to use it on 1) its website, 2) on Google and 3) on YouTube.

I'd forgotten about that, sorry :)

Ian

Re: Wiped external hard drive clean by accident

Rolf Grunsky
On 2018-06-30 02:01 PM, Douglas Pollard wrote:

>   Hell Douglas Pollard here. I was reformatting a few thumb drives that
> were given to me.  I was using G-parted and left my 4 terrabyte "MY
> Book" USB external Hard drive plugged in and  wiped it clean Ubuntu
> can't see it and either can G-parted. AS soon as I relised it was being
> reformatted I panicked and stopped it now it seems there is nothing
> there.  A friend said windows 10 could reformat it but I don't have
> windows on anything. I have notice the progress bar I guess in (Grub 2)
> that goes across to start Ubuntu hesitates  before reaching the end and
> ubuntu will not start so I guess it is trying to read the external drive
> and fails. Unplug  the drive and Ubuntu starts so it seems some thing
> can see it and is trying to read it.?  Any help with this would be
> appreciated.    Doug

You may want to look at the DFSee disc analysis program. Not free, it
appears to start at 49 Euros but is cheaper than any data recovery service.

Many years ago when I was still running OS/2, I had my drive partitions
deleted when I accidentally booted with a Toshiba restore CD. I was able
to restore the drive with the program. You might be as lucky.

I think you can download the program for free to see if it might work.
Good luck!

--
                                TRUTH in her dress finds facts too tight.
                                In fiction she moves with ease.