Wireless not connecting...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
65 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wireless not connecting...

Robert Heller
I just installed 18.04 on an older Hp Laptop.  Everything is working, except
(of course!) the WiFi.

The WiFi NIC is a Realtek Semiconductor Co. RTL8188EE Wireless Network Adapter
(rev 01).

The OS sees the device:

wlo1: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        ether c8:ff:28:c5:d2:58  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

And the device in fact sees the wireless AP (in fact various SSIDs, like
people's phones).  But it fails to connect.

The wirless AP log is showing this:

May 28 15:10:49 wirelessap wireless: ath0     Registered node:C8:FF:28:C5:D2:58
May 28 15:11:33 wirelessap wireless: ath0     Received deauth from c8:ff:28:c5:d2:58. Reason: Deauthenticated because sending STA is leaving (or has left) the basic service area (3).
May 28 15:11:33 wirelessap wireless: ath0     STA-TRAFFIC-STAT mac=c8:ff:28:c5:d2:58 rx_packets=27 rx_bytes=2902 tx_packets=1 tx_bytes=54
May 28 15:11:33 wirelessap wireless: ath0     Expired node:C8:FF:28:C5:D2:58
May 28 15:11:35 wirelessap wireless: ath0     Registered node:C8:FF:28:C5:D2:58
May 28 15:12:20 wirelessap wireless: ath0     Received deauth from c8:ff:28:c5:d2:58. Reason: Deauthenticated because sending STA is leaving (or has left) the basic service area (3).
May 28 15:12:20 wirelessap wireless: ath0     STA-TRAFFIC-STAT mac=c8:ff:28:c5:d2:58 rx_packets=28 rx_bytes=3002 tx_packets=1 tx_bytes=54
May 28 15:12:20 wirelessap wireless: ath0     Expired node:C8:FF:28:C5:D2:58
May 28 15:14:21 wirelessap wireless: ath0     Registered node:C8:FF:28:C5:D2:58
May 28 15:15:06 wirelessap wireless: ath0     Received deauth from c8:ff:28:c5:d2:58. Reason: Deauthenticated because sending STA is leaving (or has left) the basic service area (3).
May 28 15:15:06 wirelessap wireless: ath0     STA-TRAFFIC-STAT mac=c8:ff:28:c5:d2:58 rx_packets=26 rx_bytes=3348 tx_packets=1 tx_bytes=54
May 28 15:15:06 wirelessap wireless: ath0     Expired node:C8:FF:28:C5:D2:58
May 28 15:17:36 wirelessap wireless: ath0     Registered node:C8:FF:28:C5:D2:58
May 28 15:18:21 wirelessap wireless: ath0     Received deauth from c8:ff:28:c5:d2:58. Reason: Deauthenticated because sending STA is leaving (or has left) the basic service area (3).

(this is repeated...)

The laptop's wired network works just fine.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
[hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
                                                     

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

Peter Flynn
On 28/05/2019 21:35, Robert Heller wrote:
> I just installed 18.04 on an older Hp Laptop.  Everything is working, except
> (of course!) the WiFi.

I do this occasionally, so I splashed out €10 on a USB wifi gizmo, which
seems to get recognised by anything and everything from Windows XP to
Linux Mint 19, and even an old Mac with a broken wifi.

Peter

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

Colin Law
In reply to this post by Robert Heller
On Tue, 28 May 2019 at 21:38, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just installed 18.04 on an older Hp Laptop.  Everything is working, except
> (of course!) the WiFi.

Have you done a full update/upgrade and checked if there are any
additional drivers to install? (Software & Updates > Additional
Drivers).
Also check that the mother board BIOS is the latest.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

Robert Heller
In reply to this post by Peter Flynn
At Tue, 28 May 2019 21:41:24 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 28/05/2019 21:35, Robert Heller wrote:
> > I just installed 18.04 on an older Hp Laptop.  Everything is working, except
> > (of course!) the WiFi.
>
> I do this occasionally, so I splashed out €10 on a USB wifi gizmo, which
> seems to get recognised by anything and everything from Windows XP to
> Linux Mint 19, and even an old Mac with a broken wifi.

Given that this was a freebie donated to the library, spending money on it is
conterindicated.  And given the sorts of people using it (don't ask), getting
a WiFi dongle is probably not going to work.  At this point, connecting the
CAT6 cable *works* (and requires *no* additional fussing around).  If there is
some thing I can do (maybe installing firmware or tweaking some iw setting) to
make the built-in wifi work, great, otherwise it will just not have
wireless...  (Other "features" of this machine: its battery is permanently
*dead*.)

>
> Peter
>

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
[hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
             


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

Robert Heller
In reply to this post by Colin Law
At Tue, 28 May 2019 22:04:50 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Tue, 28 May 2019 at 21:38, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I just installed 18.04 on an older Hp Laptop.  Everything is working, except
> > (of course!) the WiFi.
>
> Have you done a full update/upgrade and checked if there are any
> additional drivers to install? (Software & Updates > Additional
> Drivers).
> Also check that the mother board BIOS is the latest.

I did a fresh install from and up-to-date mirror of the repo.  I *presume*
that is pretty much fully up-to-date.  I did not check for Additional drivers.

Note: the O/S sees the adapter and the adapter sees the wireless AP and in
fact the adapter is talking to the wireless AP and the wireless AP is logging
its connections...  This is rather strange.  My usual experience with WiFi is
that either the board is not seen at all.  Or possibly the board does not see
any SSIDs.

>
> Colin
>

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
[hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
                                                                           

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

Karl Auer
In reply to this post by Robert Heller
On Tue, 2019-05-28 at 17:52 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> Given that this was a freebie donated to the library, spending money
> on it is conterindicated.

Ask around in your local (not global) community. You'll almost
certainly get a free 2.4GHz wifi dongle; they are that cheap.

>   And given the sorts of people using it (don't ask), getting 
> a WiFi dongle is probably not going to work.

Once configured, it stays configured and Linux will just use it all the
time. No user interaction is required. If theft is the problem, then
with a freebie just glue the dongle in place.

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D
Old fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

Mike Marchywka
In reply to this post by Robert Heller
On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 05:52:44PM -0400, Robert Heller wrote:

> At Tue, 28 May 2019 22:04:50 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >
> > On Tue, 28 May 2019 at 21:38, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I just installed 18.04 on an older Hp Laptop.  Everything is working, except
> > > (of course!) the WiFi.
> >
> > Have you done a full update/upgrade and checked if there are any
> > additional drivers to install? (Software & Updates > Additional
> > Drivers).
> > Also check that the mother board BIOS is the latest.
>
> I did a fresh install from and up-to-date mirror of the repo.  I *presume*
> that is pretty much fully up-to-date.  I did not check for Additional drivers.
>
> Note: the O/S sees the adapter and the adapter sees the wireless AP and in
> fact the adapter is talking to the wireless AP and the wireless AP is logging
> its connections...  This is rather strange.  My usual experience with WiFi is
> that either the board is not seen at all.  Or possibly the board does not see
> any SSIDs.

Is this 18.04 'Beaver? I was surprised it did not seem to come with ifconfig
but did have iwconfig. I've seen problems like this because another interface
is up. Off hand I'm not sure how to check the routing but  on older
Ubuntu you can try,
first I'm curious if you have ifconfig lol, and ifdown all the interfaces
and just bring up the wireless. The dhclient and see if you get an ip address
from your access point. I'm not sure if you have to do anything with wpa_supplicant
etc though ( I wrote a script to turn an older machine into a router
that let me check network traffic with tcpdump and all I rememebr right
now is that it could be a hassle- I put a wireless router on eth0 and
a USB wifi stick to connect to the rest of the world  ).

Also traceroute and see where it is trying to go with whatever you want
to send over the wireless.
 


>
> >
> > Colin
> >
>
> --
> Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
> http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
> [hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
>                                                                            
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
canton GA 30115
USA, Earth
[hidden email]
404-788-1216
ORCID: 0000-0001-9237-455X

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

Robert Heller
In reply to this post by Karl Auer
At Wed, 29 May 2019 09:40:55 +1000 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Tue, 2019-05-28 at 17:52 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> > Given that this was a freebie donated to the library, spending money
> > on it is conterindicated.
>
> Ask around in your local (not global) community. You'll almost
> certainly get a free 2.4GHz wifi dongle; they are that cheap.

Actually not all that likely.  There isn't much of a local *Linix* community.
I'm pretty much the entire Linix community in this towna, and I don't have
one.  Actually, there probably isn't even a local store that carries them.  
We'd probably have to order it from Amazon.

>
> >   And given the sorts of people using it (don't ask), getting 
> > a WiFi dongle is probably not going to work.
>
> Once configured, it stays configured and Linux will just use it all the
> time. No user interaction is required. If theft is the problem, then
> with a freebie just glue the dongle in place.
>
> Regards, K.
>
--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
[hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
                                                                                                                     


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

Robert Heller
In reply to this post by Mike Marchywka
At Wed, 29 May 2019 00:36:29 +0000 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 05:52:44PM -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> > At Tue, 28 May 2019 22:04:50 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > On Tue, 28 May 2019 at 21:38, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I just installed 18.04 on an older Hp Laptop.  Everything is working, except
> > > > (of course!) the WiFi.
> > >
> > > Have you done a full update/upgrade and checked if there are any
> > > additional drivers to install? (Software & Updates > Additional
> > > Drivers).
> > > Also check that the mother board BIOS is the latest.
> >
> > I did a fresh install from and up-to-date mirror of the repo.  I *presume*
> > that is pretty much fully up-to-date.  I did not check for Additional drivers.
> >
> > Note: the O/S sees the adapter and the adapter sees the wireless AP and in
> > fact the adapter is talking to the wireless AP and the wireless AP is logging
> > its connections...  This is rather strange.  My usual experience with WiFi is
> > that either the board is not seen at all.  Or possibly the board does not see
> > any SSIDs.
>
> Is this 18.04 'Beaver? I was surprised it did not seem to come with ifconfig

Yes.  I too was supprised that ifconfig (net-tools) was missing.

> but did have iwconfig. I've seen problems like this because another interface

I did not try iwconfig.  I'll have a look tomorrow.

> is up. Off hand I'm not sure how to check the routing but  on older
> Ubuntu you can try,
> first I'm curious if you have ifconfig lol, and ifdown all the interfaces
> and just bring up the wireless. The dhclient and see if you get an ip address
> from your access point. I'm not sure if you have to do anything with wpa_supplicant

And I will check wpa_supplicant's config as well.

> etc though ( I wrote a script to turn an older machine into a router
> that let me check network traffic with tcpdump and all I rememebr right
> now is that it could be a hassle- I put a wireless router on eth0 and
> a USB wifi stick to connect to the rest of the world  ).

We have two other laptops, but they initially had 14.04 installed on them (we
got them with blanked hard drives). They are Lenovos. When I installed 14.04,
it "just worked" out of the box. I recently upgradeed them, with two
do-release-upgrades -- the first to 16.04 and the second to 18.04. Both of the
other laptops seemlessly switch between wireless and wired, depending on if
the wired connection is connected. I have dhcp host entries on the dhcp server
for both their wired and wireless MACs with the same IP addresses for wired
and wireless [on a given laptop] (the access point appliance does NOT run a
dhcp server, firewall, or router -- that is all handled by a [Dell] server
running CentOS 6).

With this "new" (it is about 6 years old, said to be a 2013 vintage model) Hp
machine I just clobbered the pre-existing mess-windowss install, after much
fun getting to the BIOS and enabling the network [PXE] boot and making the
network boot first -- the machine wanted to only boot directly into
mess-windows.

>
> Also traceroute and see where it is trying to go with whatever you want
> to send over the wireless.

Until it gets an IP address, traceroute is kinda useless...

>  
>
>
> >
> > >
> > > Colin
> > >
> >
> > --
> > Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> > Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
> > http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
> > [hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
> >                                                                            
> >
> > --
> > ubuntu-users mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
[hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
                                                     

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

Karl Auer
In reply to this post by Robert Heller
On Tue, 2019-05-28 at 22:03 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> Actually not all that likely.  There isn't much of a local *Linix*
> community. I'm pretty much the entire Linix community in this towna,
> and I don't have one.  Actually, there probably isn't even a local
> store that carries them.  

Just to be pedantic, you don't need a Linux community, you need a
computer community. The dongles are pretty much OS agnostic (except
Broadcom).

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D
Old fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

Colin Law
In reply to this post by Robert Heller
On Tue, 28 May 2019 at 22:54, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> At Tue, 28 May 2019 22:04:50 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >
> > On Tue, 28 May 2019 at 21:38, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I just installed 18.04 on an older Hp Laptop.  Everything is working, except
> > > (of course!) the WiFi.
> >
> > Have you done a full update/upgrade and checked if there are any
> > additional drivers to install? (Software & Updates > Additional
> > Drivers).
> > Also check that the mother board BIOS is the latest.
>
> I did a fresh install from and up-to-date mirror of the repo.  I *presume*
> that is pretty much fully up-to-date.

A false assumption, though it depends on your definition of 'pretty
much' of course.  How would you know whether there is something
relevant that has been updated?

>  I did not check for Additional drivers.

The solution to that problem is reasonably obvious.

You have not answered whether there is an update for the mother board
BIOS available.

My strategy in these matters is always to do the obvious things first.
It may not help but it can save a lot of time looking for more subtle
issues.

Another thought, can you still boot into Windows?  If so then check it
works there.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by Robert Heller
On Tue, 28 May 2019 at 23:54, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I did a fresh install from and up-to-date mirror of the repo.  I *presume*
> that is pretty much fully up-to-date.

No, it does not mean that, in any OS. Cable it, do a full update.

> I did not check for Additional drivers.

Do so.

Install the restricted extras. Check for extra drivers. Install the
hardware enablement stack.

And as Colin say, check the firmware is current.

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

Colin Law
On Wed, 29 May 2019 at 08:38, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...
> Install the hardware enablement stack.
>

I *think* that provided he installed the latest 18.04 image (18.04.2 I
think) that he will already have the latest HWE.
If it was not the latest then see
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/02/ubuntu-18-04-2-lts-released for
how to upgrade.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

Liam Proven
On Wed, 29 May 2019 at 09:53, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I *think* that provided he installed the latest 18.04 image (18.04.2 I
> think) that he will already have the latest HWE.
> If it was not the latest then see
> https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/02/ubuntu-18-04-2-lts-released for
> how to upgrade.

Good point. I did consider that but considered it safest to cover all
possible bases.

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

Oliver Grawert
In reply to this post by Mike Marchywka
hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 29.05.2019, 00:36 +0000 schrieb Mike Marchywka:
> > 
> Is this 18.04 'Beaver? I was surprised it did not seem to come with
> ifconfig

ifconfig (net-tools) has been deprecated 10 years ago and has only been
shipped by distros for convenience for a transition period ...

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/networking/iproute2

eventually such transition periods have to end ;)

ciao
        oli
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

ubuntu-users mailing list
In reply to this post by Karl Auer





‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Wednesday, May 29, 2019 2:19 AM, Karl Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-05-28 at 22:03 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
>

> > Actually not all that likely.  There isn't much of a local Linix
> > community. I'm pretty much the entire Linix community in this towna,
> > and I don't have one.  Actually, there probably isn't even a local
> > store that carries them.
>

> Just to be pedantic, you don't need a Linux community, you need a
> computer community. The dongles are pretty much OS agnostic (except
> Broadcom).
>

> Regards, K.
>

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

>     Karl Auer ([hidden email])
>     http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
>     http://twitter.com/kauer389
>    

>     GPG fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D
>     Old fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75
>    

>    

>    

>     --
>     ubuntu-users mailing list
>     [hidden email]
>     Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>


I'm sure this has been brought up on this list. However that may be, do you use a vpn? vpn when shut down will lock the internet. I dont know if it applies to this. i just went thru this when the power went, it drove me crazy until i realized what was going on.

jim

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

publickey - katnip62@pm.me - 0x3F05DA78.asc (2K) Download Attachment
signature.asc (523 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

ubuntu-users mailing list
In reply to this post by Robert Heller
28 May 2019  at 17:52, Robert Heller wrote:
Re: Wireless not connecting... (at least in part)

>At Tue, 28 May 2019 22:04:50 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>
>> On Tue, 28 May 2019 at 21:38, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I just installed 18.04 on an older Hp Laptop.  Everything is working, except
>> > (of course!) the WiFi.
>>
>> Have you done a full update/upgrade and checked if there are any
>> additional drivers to install? (Software & Updates > Additional
>> Drivers).
>> Also check that the mother board BIOS is the latest.
>
>I did a fresh install from and up-to-date mirror of the repo.  I *presume*
>that is pretty much fully up-to-date.  I did not check for Additional drivers.
>
>Note: the O/S sees the adapter and the adapter sees the wireless AP and in
>fact the adapter is talking to the wireless AP and the wireless AP is logging
>its connections...  This is rather strange.  My usual experience with WiFi is
>that either the board is not seen at all.  Or possibly the board does not see
>any SSIDs.

IP number mismatch maybe, I see this "when" I take my 18.04 (fixed IP) net book
to a friends house

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

ubuntu-users mailing list
In reply to this post by Karl Auer
29 May 2019  at 12:19, Karl Auer wrote:
Re: Wireless not connecting... (at least in part)

>On Tue, 2019-05-28 at 22:03 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
>> Actually not all that likely.  There isn't much of a local *Linix*
>> community. I'm pretty much the entire Linix community in this towna,
>> and I don't have one.  Actually, there probably isn't even a local
>> store that carries them.  
>
>Just to be pedantic, you don't need a Linux community, you need a
>computer community. The dongles are pretty much OS agnostic (except
>Broadcom).

They also work but NEED THE FRIMWARE

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

Robert Heller
In reply to this post by Colin Law
At Wed, 29 May 2019 08:22:04 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Tue, 28 May 2019 at 22:54, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > At Tue, 28 May 2019 22:04:50 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > On Tue, 28 May 2019 at 21:38, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I just installed 18.04 on an older Hp Laptop.  Everything is working, except
> > > > (of course!) the WiFi.
> > >
> > > Have you done a full update/upgrade and checked if there are any
> > > additional drivers to install? (Software & Updates > Additional
> > > Drivers).
> > > Also check that the mother board BIOS is the latest.
> >
> > I did a fresh install from and up-to-date mirror of the repo.  I *presume*
> > that is pretty much fully up-to-date.
>
> A false assumption, though it depends on your definition of 'pretty
> much' of course.  How would you know whether there is something
> relevant that has been updated?
>
> >  I did not check for Additional drivers.
>
> The solution to that problem is reasonably obvious.
>
> You have not answered whether there is an update for the mother board
> BIOS available.
>
> My strategy in these matters is always to do the obvious things first.
> It may not help but it can save a lot of time looking for more subtle
> issues.
>
> Another thought, can you still boot into Windows?  If so then check it
> works there.

Windows is gone (I selected "use the whole disk" when I did the install). We
didn't have the password anyway.

>
> Colin
>

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
[hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
                                                                           

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wireless not connecting...

Robert Heller
In reply to this post by Oliver Grawert
At Wed, 29 May 2019 13:05:47 +0200 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>
> hi,
> Am Mittwoch, den 29.05.2019, 00:36 +0000 schrieb Mike Marchywka:
> > > 
> > Is this 18.04 'Beaver? I was surprised it did not seem to come with
> > ifconfig
>
> ifconfig (net-tools) has been deprecated 10 years ago and has only been
> shipped by distros for convenience for a transition period ...
I use it to see what network devices exist and what their MAC addresses are.

>
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/networking/iproute2

I guess I will have to read this (once the page loads).

>
> eventually such transition periods have to end ;)
>
> ciao
> oliContent-Description: This is a digitally signed message part
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v2
>
> iEYEABEKAAYFAlzuZ4wACgkQSsOT+6LQaTZTxACeO9d7mHe3hYe4WY2RHiZ7Zik7
> h9kAoIRAPMqf4MU4dxnB2m8aY41KKwge
> =1Ykl
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
> MIME-Version: 1.0
>
--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
[hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
                 


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
1234