Wireless works too well!

Harry Wert
After much experimenting and testing, I am finally able to use the
Linksys WUSB54G with Breezy - thanks to ndiswrapper.  However I have one
unexpected problem and another which I am just beginning to troubleshoot.
First the problem:  Even though I issue a "iwconfig wlan0 essid linksys
channel 6", my computer locks on to my neighbor across the street named
"bruce". To log onto my router "linksys" I need to run wlassistant and
select "linksys".  This works fine EXCEPT, I drop my linksys connection
randomly and resync back onto "bruce" ( he is on channel 1).  At the
moment neither "bruce" or "linksys" are using encryption until I get
this figured out.  By the way, my wireless signal from my router
"linksys" is many time stronger than the signal I get from my neighbor
"bruce" - for whatever value that may have for this discussion.  Has
anyone else experienced a problem such as this?  I have struck out using
the various search engines and Ubunti wiki.  Any suggestions are greatly
appreciated.  Is there anyway to issue a "deny bruce" command anywhere?

Harry Wert
Physicist

Re: Wireless works too well!

Derek Broughton-2
Harry Wert wrote:

> After much experimenting and testing, I am finally able to use the
> Linksys WUSB54G with Breezy - thanks to ndiswrapper.  However I have one
> unexpected problem and another which I am just beginning to troubleshoot.
> First the problem:  Even though I issue a "iwconfig wlan0 essid linksys
> channel 6", my computer locks on to my neighbor across the street named
> "bruce".

Didn't you ask this same question on alt.internet.wireless?  If it wasn't
you, that's the place to go anyway, as it has recently been asked and
answered.

> To log onto my router "linksys" I need to run wlassistant and

Why do you have a router named "linksys"?  Give it a real essid.  Then stop
giving it a channel number.  Channel numbers are for ad-hoc mode - you
should just be trying to access it via essid, and since half the APs in the
world are shipped with the name "linksys", you're as likely to find a
strong signal through your window as the weaker one that's going through
the walls and floor of your house.
--
derek

Re: Wireless works too well!

Harry Wert
Derek Broughton wrote:
Harry Wert wrote:

[...]

No, that was not me - but thanks for the lead I'll check it out.

Harry

Re: Wireless works too well!

John DeCarlo
On 11/8/05, Harry Wert <[hidden email]> wrote:
First the problem:  Even though I issue a "iwconfig wlan0 essid linksys
channel 6", my computer locks on to my neighbor across the street named
"bruce". To log onto my router "linksys" I need to run wlassistant and
select "linksys".  This works fine EXCEPT, I drop my linksys connection
randomly and resync back onto "bruce" ( he is on channel 1).  At the
moment neither "bruce" or "linksys" are using encryption until I get
this figured out.  By the way, my wireless signal from my router
"linksys" is many time stronger than the signal I get from my neighbor
"bruce" - for whatever value that may have for this discussion.  Has
anyone else experienced a problem such as this?  I have struck out using
the various search engines and Ubunti wiki.  Any suggestions are greatly
appreciated.  Is there anyway to issue a "deny bruce" command anywhere?

Hello,

I disagree with the other poster that this is a generic wireless problem.  I believe this is a Ubuntu problem (maybe Debian, maybe not).

There are many programs you might have loaded that may be monitoring your wireless connection and may be changing things for you without your knowledge.

I don't have a perfect solution, but have some notes that may help.

1) waproamd, if installed, may be regularly looking for wireless connections and it does seem to go alphabetically.

Your choices include uninstalling it (sudo apt-get remove waproamd), or changing your essid to be first alphabetically (I do agree you should not use linksys).

2) NetworkManager (apt-get install network-manager) is also trying to do things for you automatically.

In both these cases, if you do an iwconfig, it may be changed without telling you shortly thereafter.

One thing you can do is monitor /etc/network/interfaces  - if you see essid bruce in there, you have one of the above packages changing things against your will.  Or maybe another wireless program.

for now, I have removed waproamd and NetworkManager, and just set up each connection by hand, until I can figure out what is going on.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own

Re: Wireless works too well!

Derek Broughton-2
John DeCarlo wrote:

> On 11/8/05, Harry Wert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> First the problem: Even though I issue a "iwconfig wlan0 essid linksys
>> channel 6", my computer locks on to my neighbor across the street named
>> "bruce". To log onto my router "linksys" I need to run wlassistant and
>> select "linksys". This works fine EXCEPT, I drop my linksys connection
>> randomly and resync back onto "bruce" ( he is on channel 1). At the
>> moment neither "bruce" or "linksys" are using encryption until I get
>> this figured out. By the way, my wireless signal from my router
>> "linksys" is many time stronger than the signal I get from my neighbor
>> "bruce" - for whatever value that may have for this discussion. Has
>> anyone else experienced a problem such as this? I have struck out using
>> the various search engines and Ubunti wiki. Any suggestions are greatly
>> appreciated. Is there anyway to issue a "deny bruce" command anywhere?
>>
> I disagree with the other poster that this is a generic wireless problem.
> I believe this is a Ubuntu problem (maybe Debian, maybe not).

Well, I didn't say it wasn't an Ubuntu problem - but Harry's trying to
access his wireless using the wrong configuration.  If he sets it up
correctly he might still have a problem - but you can't blame Ubuntu until
he does.  Specifically, the use of channel to access an AP _shouldn't_
work, and results may be unpredictable (I certainly wouldn't have predicted
what Harry got!).

> One thing you can do is monitor /etc/network/interfaces - if you see essid
> bruce in there, you have one of the above packages changing things against
> your will. Or maybe another wireless program.

What?  You think something would actually rewrite /etc/network/interfaces?
It seems pretty scary that something would change it (though I suppose
that's exactly how "intuitively" would work, it would still need you to put
"bruce" into the configuration yourself).
--
derek

Re: Wireless works too well!

Harry Wert
Harry Wert wrote:

>After much experimenting and testing, I am finally able to use the
>Linksys WUSB54G with Breezy - thanks to ndiswrapper.  However I have one
>unexpected problem and another which I am just beginning to troubleshoot.
>First the problem:  Even though I issue a "iwconfig wlan0 essid linksys
>channel 6", my computer locks on to my neighbor across the street named
>"bruce". To log onto my router "linksys" I need to run wlassistant and
>select "linksys".  This works fine EXCEPT, I drop my linksys connection
>randomly and resync back onto "bruce" ( he is on channel 1).  At the
>moment neither "bruce" or "linksys" are using encryption until I get
>this figured out.  By the way, my wireless signal from my router
>"linksys" is many time stronger than the signal I get from my neighbor
>"bruce" - for whatever value that may have for this discussion.  Has
>anyone else experienced a problem such as this?  I have struck out using
>the various search engines and Ubunti wiki.  Any suggestions are greatly
>appreciated.  Is there anyway to issue a "deny bruce" command anywhere?
>
>Harry Wert
>Physicist

Thanks for all the feedback.  Everything is working properly now without
exception, but with clarification.  Here are my findings:

1) Found my Linksys 54G router was refusing to accept input from my LAN
laptop - randomly.
    Solution: Specifically entered my laptop MAC address in the router
and marked it accessible.

2) Had to "kill" my eth0 port with the laptop BIOS to avoid interfering
with the wlan0 when wlan0 is activated during the boot process.

3) The approximately 30 second link interruption was cause by a program
called wlassistant which was programmed to interrogate the link
connection at 30 second intervals.
     Solution: set interrogation interval to 3600 seconds.

4) The problem of selecting "Bruce", my neighbor was traced to a program
called "network-manager".  This program is a crond program which scans
the network automatically anytime connection to the router is dropped
for any reason. Then the FIRST valid connection becomes my laptop link
attachment.  Since "Bruce" is the only other source within my wireless
laptop WUSB54G range when this occurs, I'm happily connected BUT WITH NO
INDICATION IT HAS OCCURRED.  The only clue I receive is an inability to
print to my LAN printer which is ABSENT from my neighbor's
configuration. (He doesn't use a LAN printer.)
    Solution: removed the "network-manager" program.

For those concerned about my choice of using my router address as
"linksy" when half the World..... , my choice was intentional for the
very reasons mentioned in some of the responses I received. I wanted the
system to be loose as a Goose to assist in detecting problems and
consequently assist in solving them.  It has subsequently  been renamed.

My sincere "Thanks" to all who took time to read and respond to my
initial email - you assisted in speeding up the debug process.  I hope
this communication will be helpful to others as well.

Accolade's and congratulations for a job well-done to the ndiswrapper
team, and Ubuntu for creating such a fine product.

Harry Wert
Physicist

Re: Wireless works too well! var: wrt54gs dd-firmware

Phillip Sc. Boegh
Hi Ubuntus

Yes: Wireless works too well in distance AND it does not work et all for
wireless network!?
While running wds at a wrt54gs Linksys router I can recognize signal at
least 50 meters through 5 layer of concrete walls, which is fine for the
signal. However even accepting total free access to all all wireless
adapters or laptop born recievers I get the report "access denied" both in
windows and in Linux?
Any clues are most wellcome!

Using the a cisco router and dd-firmware on the wrs54gs router - that
accept wds.

Regards

Phillip

> [...]
> print to my LAN printer which is ABSENT from my neighbor's
> configuration. (He doesn't use a LAN printer.)
>     Solution: removed the "network-manager" program.
>
> For those concerned about my choice of using my router address as
> "linksy" when half the World..... , my choice was intentional for the
> very reasons mentioned in some of the responses I received. I wanted the
> system to be loose as a Goose to assist in detecting problems and
> consequently assist in solving them.  It has subsequently  been renamed.
>
> My sincere "Thanks" to all who took time to read and respond to my
> initial email - you assisted in speeding up the debug process.  I hope
> this communication will be helpful to others as well.
>
> Accolade's and congratulations for a job well-done to the ndiswrapper
> team, and Ubuntu for creating such a fine product.

Phillip Sc. B?gh
BioData Scientific employed
& Consultant
DTU - IPL, Building 303 ?st; DK-2800 Kgl. Lyngby
tlf. +45 26156200

Harry Wert wrote:

[...]

Phillip Sc. Bøgh
BioData Scientific employed
& Consultant
DTU - IPL, Building 303 øst; DK-2800 Kgl. Lyngby
tlf. +45 26156200

Sounds as if the router is blocking.  Suggest entering the router setup and VERY carefully checking all security sections making certain ALL security options are disabled - even if you are positive they are correct. It only takes one setting to cause your problem.  I am especially suspicious since it doesn't work under Windows.  Once you get it working you can then carefully add back security options minus the one causing the problem.  Based on what you have told me I don't thing it is either a Windows or Linux problem.  Good luck.

Harry Wert
Physicist

Re: Wireless works too well! var: wrt54gs dd-firmware

Phillip Sc. Boegh
Hi Harry Wert

> Sounds as if the router is blocking.  Suggest entering the router setup
> and VERY carefully checking all security sections making certain ALL
> security options are disabled - even if you are positive they are
> correct. It only takes one setting to cause your problem.  I am
> especially suspicious since it doesn't work under Windows.  Once you get
> it working you can then carefully add back security options minus the
> one causing the problem.  Based on what you have told me I don't thing
> it is either a Windows or Linux problem.  Good luck.
This is normal debugging procedure - and I have tried that. That means
there must be a 2 combination error maybe that I use WDS and something in
connection to that - but it is only an idea. I need some direct
suggestions because 6 other people rely on me so I cannot change
experiment too much as it put down their internet-connections.

MAYBE I have Disabled the MAC adresses in wireless - which only should
make wireless open to all? but is it a unriscy way?

Best regards

Phillip

Re: Wireless works too well!

Harry Wert
'Forum Post wrote:

>Hi I am using the intel pro/wireless 2200 BG.  This particular wireless
>card has some roaming feature which when activated, will attempt to
>connect to the network with the strongest signal detected.  Some how
>this normally a problem when used with most routers.  However when used
>with some routers the card will attempt to connect to other networks
>very often.  I unfortunately have such a router.  In windows, to deal
>with this problem I had to use a special set of drivers which at that
>time was only available from IBM's website.  Basically the drivers
>gives you the options to disable this roaming feature.  Since you
>mentioned something about nids wrapper, I am assuming you are using
>windows drivers.  Maybe your problem occurs because you are using a
>wireless card with such a feature.  If that is the case, changing the
>drivers might help.

Thanks for the feedback.  I have one of those!  My solution was to get
my neighbors MAC address then enter it into the Security EXCLUDE portion
of my Linksys router.  Now I can no longer log on his system. In other
words I filter him out before it gets to my wireless card.

Harry Wert
Physicist

Re: Wireless works too well! var: wrt54gs dd-firmware

Harry Wert
Phillip Sc. Boegh wrote:
Hi Harry Wert

[...]

WDS did not work with with my Linksys router. I use WEP which IS compatible.  If you are using a Linksys access point but NOT a Linksys card, do NOT use the Passphrase button in the access point software to generate encryption keys. They will NOT work with non-Linksys wireless network cards.

"MAYBE I have Disabled the MAC addresses in wireless - which only shouldmake wireless open to all? but is it a unriscy way?"

Yes, disabling the MAC address increases vulnerability but is very helpful when debugging a system.  I recently enabled MAC on my network as I was having a problem accidentally logging into a neighbor's system.  Locking him out via his MAC address was necessary to solve my specific problem.  It all depends upon the level of security you require for your particular network.

Hope this helps ...

Harry Wert
Physicist