Workspaces on 18.04 LTS

Ian Bruntlett
Hi,

In 16.04 I had a 2x2 matrix of 4 workspaces and it was really useful.

In 18.04 I now have a 3x1 matrix of 3 workspaces and it isn't as good. Is there a way to adjust this to behave like 16.04?

Oh, and I'm going to file a bug report re: 18.04's handling of my HP LaserJet printer.

Thanks!

Ian

Re: Workspaces on 18.04 LTS

Paul Smith-2
On Sun, 2018-05-06 at 21:05 +0100, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
> In 16.04 I had a 2x2 matrix of 4 workspaces and it was really useful.
>
> In 18.04 I now have a 3x1 matrix of 3 workspaces and it isn't as
> good. Is there a way to adjust this to behave like 16.04?

If what you're concerned about is the total number of workspaces, you
can make as many as you like.  By default GNOME will always create one
more workspace than you're using.  It starts with 2 and if you put
something on the second one it will create third empty one; if you put
something on the third it creates a fourth empty one, etc.  If a
workspace goes empty then it will be removed (and other workspaces
moved up to fill in).

You can instead request a certain number always exist: in order to do
this you need to install GNOME Tweak Tool:

    sudo apt install gnome-tweak-tool

then run it (for example bring up the HUD and type "tweak" to search
for it).

At the bottom is a section for "Workspaces" and you can select "Static
Workspaces" and select the number.

If what you're concerned about is the layout, then I'm not aware of any
way to change the current linear layout back to rectangular.  Perhaps
there's a GNOME Extension which will do it but I don't know.

Re: Workspaces on 18.04 LTS

C de-Avillez-2
On Sun, 06 May 2018 16:14:05 -0400
Paul Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip/>

> If what you're concerned about is the layout, then I'm not aware of
> any way to change the current linear layout back to rectangular.
> Perhaps there's a GNOME Extension which will do it but I don't know.

WorkspaceGrid [1] will do that. There may be other extensions, but this
is the one I use.

Cheers,

..C..

[1] https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/484/workspace-grid/

Re: Workspaces on 18.04 LTS

Jeff Lane-2

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 4:46 PM C de-Avillez <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2018 16:14:05 -0400
Paul Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip/>

> If what you're concerned about is the layout, then I'm not aware of
> any way to change the current linear layout back to rectangular.
> Perhaps there's a GNOME Extension which will do it but I don't know.

WorkspaceGrid [1] will do that. There may be other extensions, but this
is the one I use.

I installed Unity and now my Bionic install looks and feels exactly like my Xenial and Trust installs did and I have a usable workflow once more.

Just saying.

Cheers,

..C..

[1] https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/484/workspace-grid/