Xen?

Jean-Eric Cuendet (RPT)
Hi,
What about Xen in Ubuntu? I was unable to find it (precompiled) anywhere
while it's in debian (misc?) since some time.
Is there a licensing problem?
-jec

--
Jean-Eric Cuendet
Riskpro Technologies SA

Re: Xen?

Scott-22
Jean-Eric wrote:
> Hi,
> What about Xen in Ubuntu? I was unable to find it (precompiled) anywhere
> while it's in debian (misc?) since some time.
> Is there a licensing problem?
> -jec

I dunn0 but your timing is impeccible.   I just got through reading an
article on installing it.

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_xen_setup_debian_ubuntu

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com

Re: Xen?

Eric S. Johansson
Jean-Eric wrote:
> Hi,
> What about Xen in Ubuntu? I was unable to find it (precompiled) anywhere
> while it's in debian (misc?) since some time.

we've been around this barn a couple of times recently.  it's a question
of manpower and knowledge (as is most packaging problems)

> Is there a licensing problem?

as far as I know licensing is fine it's just that making a package set
(minimum xen-core, Dom0, DomU, and some method for creating a DomU
runtime environment) is somewhat problematic.

one thing people have been talking about is using the dom0 filesystem as
shared image base, create an overlay using unionfs and let the
individual domU instances accumulate their own changes (i.e. /etc,
/var/log).  packages and security fixes would typically be loaded into
dom0 and become visible automatically through the rest of the virtual
machines.

anyway, that's the theory.  I haven't had the time to play with unionFS
  but I hope to relatively soon.

Re: Xen?

Matthew Palmer-2
On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 12:18:28PM -0700, Scott wrote:

> Jean-Eric wrote:
> > Hi,
> > What about Xen in Ubuntu? I was unable to find it (precompiled) anywhere
> > while it's in debian (misc?) since some time.
> > Is there a licensing problem?
> > -jec
> >

> I dunn0 but your timing is impeccible.   I just got through reading an
> article on installing it.
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_xen_setup_debian_ubuntu

* I'd certainly be using LVM instead of pseudo-block devices in my "perfect"
        Xen setup.  In fact, I do.  Mmm mmm, dynamic resize.

* Those dd commands on page 3 are very wasteful of disk space -- sparse
        filesystems are much, much happier on your HDD.

On the upside, that howto does a decent job of enumerating the steps
involved, so it's worth looking at -- just don't consider it Gospel.

- Matt

Re: Xen?

Dick Davies-2
On 19/11/05, Matt Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 12:18:28PM -0700, Scott wrote:
> > Jean-Eric wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > What about Xen in Ubuntu? I was unable to find it (precompiled) anywhere
> > > while it's in debian (misc?) since some time.
> > > Is there a licensing problem?
> > > -jec
> > >

> > I dunn0 but your timing is impeccible.   I just got through reading an
> > article on installing it.
> >
> > http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_xen_setup_debian_ubuntu
>
> * I'd certainly be using LVM instead of pseudo-block devices in my "perfect"
>         Xen setup.  In fact, I do.  Mmm mmm, dynamic resize.

Not to mention LVM snapshots.
Is LVM in Xen by default now? Building a custom kernel just for that
is a bit of a PITA.

http://number9.hellooperator.net/

Re: Xen?

Matthew Palmer-2
On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 10:19:56AM +0000, Dick Davies wrote:

> On 19/11/05, Matt Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > >

> > > I dunn0 but your timing is impeccible.   I just got through reading an
> > > article on installing it.
> > >
> > > http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_xen_setup_debian_ubuntu
> >
> > * I'd certainly be using LVM instead of pseudo-block devices in my "perfect"
> >         Xen setup.  In fact, I do.  Mmm mmm, dynamic resize.
>
> Not to mention LVM snapshots.
> Is LVM in Xen by default now? Building a custom kernel just for that
> is a bit of a PITA.

Well, you only need it in the dom0, and I don't recall doing anything
special in my dom0 kernel build to make it work, so it's probably in there
by default.

- Matt