Xubuntu 18.03 and Wine

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Xubuntu 18.03 and Wine

MR ZenWiz
I'm running Xubuntu 18.04 and I've been trying to get Wine installed
such that I can run iTunes on it.

My first try was to install Safari, and that worked just fine.

But iTunes...

The wiki page says I should install Wine (which is now 3.0.2), then
playonlinux, and install iTunes from there.

Wine and playonlinux install just fine.

But when I try to install iTunes 64-bit, playonlinux says I have to
install the 32-bit version, and then it installs wine 1.7.4 (!) even
though wine 3.0.2 is already installed (and works pretty well)..

If I try to install iTunes 32-bit, it says I'm running a 64-bit
machine and need to install the 64-bit version.

I haven't found a solution yet and wondered if anyone else has had
success in this (iTunes on Ubuntu or Xubuntu 18.04).

Thanks.

MR

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Xubuntu 18.03 and Wine

ubuntu-users mailing list
10 September 2018  at 21:34, MR ZenWiz wrote:
Xubuntu 18.03 and Wine (at least in part)

>I'm running Xubuntu 18.04 and I've been trying to get Wine installed
>such that I can run iTunes on it.

What "exactly" do you need iTunes for?

There may be another way, is it (as I expect) to manage a iPod of some
description?



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Xubuntu 18.03 and Wine

Matthew Crews
In reply to this post by MR ZenWiz
On 9/10/18 9:34 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> The wiki page says I should install Wine (which is now 3.0.2), then
> playonlinux, and install iTunes from there.
>
> Wine and playonlinux install just fine.
>
> But when I try to install iTunes 64-bit, playonlinux says I have to
> install the 32-bit version, and then it installs wine 1.7.4 (!) even
> though wine 3.0.2 is already installed (and works pretty well)..
>
> If I try to install iTunes 32-bit, it says I'm running a 64-bit
> machine and need to install the 64-bit version.
>
> I haven't found a solution yet and wondered if anyone else has had
> success in this (iTunes on Ubuntu or Xubuntu 18.04).

Don't use PlayOnLinux for this task. Or else file an upstream bug report
with PlayOnLinux.

Instead you may need to mess with Wine directly.

Another option is to get your hands on a Windows license, install
Windows in a VM (or dual boot), and install iTunes within Windows.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Xubuntu 18.03 and Wine

Peter Flynn
Or cough up the $50 for Codeweavers Crossover WINE.

P

On 11 September 2018 13:58:08 Matthew Crews <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/10/18 9:34 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>> The wiki page says I should install Wine (which is now 3.0.2), then
>> playonlinux, and install iTunes from there.
>>
>> Wine and playonlinux install just fine.
>>
>> But when I try to install iTunes 64-bit, playonlinux says I have to
>> install the 32-bit version, and then it installs wine 1.7.4 (!) even
>> though wine 3.0.2 is already installed (and works pretty well)..
>>
>> If I try to install iTunes 32-bit, it says I'm running a 64-bit
>> machine and need to install the 64-bit version.
>>
>> I haven't found a solution yet and wondered if anyone else has had
>> success in this (iTunes on Ubuntu or Xubuntu 18.04).
>
> Don't use PlayOnLinux for this task. Or else file an upstream bug report
> with PlayOnLinux.
>
> Instead you may need to mess with Wine directly.
>
> Another option is to get your hands on a Windows license, install
> Windows in a VM (or dual boot), and install iTunes within Windows.
>
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users