Yet Another Styleguide Question

Rocco Stanzione
If the first word in a sentence is a command, which is case-sensitive, or the
name of a package with mixed case (think amaroK), should the first letter in
that word be capitalized?

Thanks,

Rocco Stanzione

Re: Yet Another Styleguide Question

Santiago Roza-2
On 3/10/06, Rocco Stanzione <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If the first word in a sentence is a command, which is case-sensitive, or the
> name of a package with mixed case (think amaroK), should the first letter in
> that word be capitalized?

no, never.  style should never come before correctness.

--
Santiago Roza
Departamento I+D - Thymbra

On Friday 10 March 2006 16:42, Santiago Roza wrote:
> > If the first word in a sentence is a command, which is case-sensitive, or
> > the name of a package with mixed case (think amaroK), should the first
> > letter in that word be capitalized?
>
> no, never.  style should never come before correctness.

I sent this to this list by accident - it was meant for ubuntu-doc.  But let
me say that it's not a style vs. correctness issue.  Some apps/commands are
correctly spelled all lowercase, and a sentence correctly begins with a
capital letter.  My question (which may not be appropriate for this list --
my apologies) is which kind of correctness is preferred in our documentation?

Thanks,

Rocco Stanzione

Re: Yet Another Styleguide Question

Vincent Untz-3
Le vendredi 10 mars 2006 à 17:44 -0600, Rocco Stanzione a écrit :

> On Friday 10 March 2006 16:42, Santiago Roza wrote:
> > > If the first word in a sentence is a command, which is case-sensitive, or
> > > the name of a package with mixed case (think amaroK), should the first
> > > letter in that word be capitalized?
> >
> > no, never.  style should never come before correctness.
>
> I sent this to this list by accident - it was meant for ubuntu-doc.  But let
> me say that it's not a style vs. correctness issue.  Some apps/commands are
> correctly spelled all lowercase, and a sentence correctly begins with a
> capital letter.  My question (which may not be appropriate for this list --
> my apologies) is which kind of correctness is preferred in our documentation?

Here's what cairo people think about the issue:

"PS. Call it "cairo" or the "cairo graphics library", but try not to
ever call it "Cairo" unless writing it at the beginning of a sentence."

I believe this is the right thing to do.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.