aMSN

surruk51
I did something stupid with aMSN, which means it stalls on start up, and
soaks up all remaining CPU cycles (total hits 100% but no other
processes freeze due to lack of resource as far as I have seen)

What I did was to set, accidentally, a very large file as a display
picture.

Why that is a problem is a question for another list. However, I noticed
that although I marked aMSN for complete removal including configuration
files:
a) The problem still remained
b) It appeared to remember who I was - ie my login id.

I had naively assumed that compete removal meant complete removal. What
am I missing here?

I have searched Google and the aMSN site, and although I found other
circumstances in which 100% cycles could occur (relating to ALSA as I
recall) non seemed to fit this particular bill, and I found nothing
about incomplete removal.

I used Synaptic to do the removal and the re-installation.

Re: aMSN

Gilles Gravier
Chris,

Chris Jeffries wrote:

> I did something stupid with aMSN, which means it stalls on start up, and
> soaks up all remaining CPU cycles (total hits 100% but no other
> processes freeze due to lack of resource as far as I have seen)
>
> What I did was to set, accidentally, a very large file as a display
> picture.
>
> Why that is a problem is a question for another list. However, I noticed
> that although I marked aMSN for complete removal including configuration
> files:
> a) The problem still remained
> b) It appeared to remember who I was - ie my login id.
>
> I had naively assumed that compete removal meant complete removal. What
> am I missing here?
>
> I have searched Google and the aMSN site, and although I found other
> circumstances in which 100% cycles could occur (relating to ALSA as I
> recall) non seemed to fit this particular bill, and I found nothing
> about incomplete removal.
>
> I used Synaptic to do the removal and the re-installation

Complete Removal means all the SYSTEM configuration file. Not the USER
configuration files...

What you want to do is remove your $HOME/.amsn directory and start aMSN
again...

Gilles.

Re: aMSN

Koh Choon Lin-9
>> What I did was to set, accidentally, a very large file as a display
>> picture.

What about removing the actual file? Does it still load?

Koh Choon Lin