advanced options in openvpn

Gary J. Kirkpatrick
Trying to save advanced options in openvpn using network manager in 18.04.  There does not seem to be a save option.  Perhaps the window were to expand fully it would reveal a save button.  It won't expand any further by any method I know of to reveal the save button.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Re: advanced options in openvpn

Little Girl
Hey there,

Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:

>Trying to save advanced options in openvpn using network manager in
>18.04. There does not seem to be a save option.  Perhaps the window
>were to expand fully it would reveal a save button.  It won't expand
>any further by any method I know of to reveal the save button.
>
>Any suggestions?

I don't have a suggestion on how to fix it, but while it's an issue,
if you put your mouse somewhere on the window of the program and press
the Alt key while holding the left mouse button down, you can drag the
window around to bring parts of it that are off-screen into view.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Little Girl wrote:

>I don't have a suggestion on how to fix it, but while it's an issue,
>if you put your mouse somewhere on the window of the program and
>press the Alt key while holding the left mouse button down, you can
>drag the window around to bring parts of it that are off-screen into
>view.

That was badly worded. Let's see if I can do better: What you do is
hold down the Alt key and the left mouse button at the same time while
the mouse is anywhere on the window you want to move and then drag
the window around on your screen.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: advanced options in openvpn

Colin Law
On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 at 20:31, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Trying to save advanced options in openvpn using network manager in 18.04.  There does not seem to be a save option.  Perhaps the window were to expand fully it would reveal a save button.  It won't expand any further by any method I know of to reveal the save button.

Not sure what window you are talking about. Can you explain how to get
to it please?

Colin

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 9:44 AM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 at 20:31, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Trying to save advanced options in openvpn using network manager in 18.04.  There does not seem to be a save option.  Perhaps the window were to expand fully it would reveal a save button.  It won't expand any further by any method I know of to reveal the save button.

Not sure what window you are talking about. Can you explain how to get
to it please?

Colin

In Network manager, add openvpn, the "Advanced Tab is at the bottom.  Click.  Then try to change an advanced option.  I click on 3 and close with the 'x' as that is the only option I can access.  Check to see if the changes are still there -  in my case they are not.

garyk

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 at 09:46, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 9:44 AM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 at 20:31, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Trying to save advanced options in openvpn using network manager in 18.04.  There does not seem to be a save option.  Perhaps the window were to expand fully it would reveal a save button.  It won't expand any further by any method I know of to reveal the save button.
>>
>> Not sure what window you are talking about. Can you explain how to get
>> to it please?
>>
>> Colin
>

> In Network manager, add openvpn, the "Advanced Tab is at the bottom.  Click.  Then try to change an advanced option.  I click on 3 and close with the 'x' as that is the only option I can access.  Check to see if the changes are still there -  in my case they are not.

There is an OK button at the bottom.  If your display is not big
enough to get it on screen then use the Alt-drag technique described
by Little Girl.

Colin

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 11:05 AM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 at 09:46, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 9:44 AM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 at 20:31, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Trying to save advanced options in openvpn using network manager in 18.04.  There does not seem to be a save option.  Perhaps the window were to expand fully it would reveal a save button.  It won't expand any further by any method I know of to reveal the save button.
>>
>> Not sure what window you are talking about. Can you explain how to get
>> to it please?
>>
>> Colin
>

> In Network manager, add openvpn, the "Advanced Tab is at the bottom.  Click.  Then try to change an advanced option.  I click on 3 and close with the 'x' as that is the only option I can access.  Check to see if the changes are still there -  in my case they are not.

There is an OK button at the bottom.  If your display is not big
enough to get it on screen then use the Alt-drag technique described
by Little Girl.

Colin

> garyk

Figured there had to be one.  Alt drag does not take me to the "Ok."   Any other suggestions?

Garyk

Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:

>Figured there had to be one.  Alt drag does not take me to the
>"Ok."   Any other suggestions?

If the Alt drag technique doesn't get you to the OK button, you can
repeat it, grabbing the window lower down to start the process over
again, doing that as many times as needed to get to the bottom of the
window. Some windows are big enough that they'll require several
grabs, nudging slowly closer each time, before you get to an edge.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 at 13:57, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Figured there had to be one.  Alt drag does not take me to the "Ok."   Any other suggestions?

Does Alt-drag move the dialog window?  If so what do you see at the
bottom once you have repeatedly dragged it so you can see the bottom?

Colin

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 5:31 PM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 at 13:57, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Figured there had to be one.  Alt drag does not take me to the "Ok."   Any other suggestions?

Does Alt-drag move the dialog window?  If so what do you see at the
bottom once you have repeatedly dragged it so you can see the bottom?

Colin

--

Alt drag moves the box but won't move it any higher than it is.  Also I can expand/contract the box left to right but can not change it's dimensions top to bottom.

GaryK

Re: advanced options in openvpn

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 19:19:40 +0200, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:
>Alt drag moves the box but won't move it any higher than it is.

I'm using a script based upon xdotool and wmctrl to automatically move
the active window, if it hides the title bar under the top panel. IOW
if you can't move the window by pushing Alt+left_mouse_button, you
still could move it by command line.

Openbox for example allows to move a window by that shortcut, wherever
the mouse pointer is located inside of a window. IIRC it's not that easy
when using jwm and perhaps other WMs, too. However, since it is
possible for you to move the window this way, it is strange, that you
can't move it higher, since there should be no limit.

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 at 18:22, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 5:31 PM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 at 13:57, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Figured there had to be one.  Alt drag does not take me to the "Ok."   Any other suggestions?
>>
>> Does Alt-drag move the dialog window?  If so what do you see at the
>> bottom once you have repeatedly dragged it so you can see the bottom?
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> --
>

> Alt drag moves the box but won't move it any higher than it is.  Also I can expand/contract the box left to right but can not change it's dimensions top to bottom.

I have just realised that (on 19.04 at least) it seems that it is not
Alt+drag any more, but Super+drag (that is the Windows key).  Also you
have to make sure that in Tweak Tools > Windows that Attach Modal
Dialogues is not enabled, otherwise it moves the parent and not the
popup.

Colin

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 10:00 PM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 at 18:22, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 5:31 PM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 at 13:57, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Figured there had to be one.  Alt drag does not take me to the "Ok."   Any other suggestions?
>>
>> Does Alt-drag move the dialog window?  If so what do you see at the
>> bottom once you have repeatedly dragged it so you can see the bottom?
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> --
>

> Alt drag moves the box but won't move it any higher than it is.  Also I can expand/contract the box left to right but can not change it's dimensions top to bottom.

I have just realised that (on 19.04 at least) it seems that it is not
Alt+drag any more, but Super+drag (that is the Windows key).  Also you
have to make sure that in Tweak Tools > Windows that Attach Modal
Dialogues is not enabled, otherwise it moves the parent and not the
popup.

Colin

> GaryK

Collin, that did the trick!   I am sure the developers had good reason to make that change and published it.  Shows you how these little things can throw users for a loop, though.

thanks!

gary