apt-file does not work for specific package

apt-file does not work for specific package

Volker Wysk
Hi

I've installed the nextcloud desktop client with a third-party PPA:

% cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nextcloud-devs-ubuntu-client.list
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nextcloud-devs/client/ubuntu bionic main

% apt update
..
OK:7 http://ppa.launchpad.net/nextcloud-devs/client/ubuntu bionic InRelease
..

The package is nextcloud-client:

% dpkg -L nextcloud-client
..
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/nextcloud
/usr/bin/nextcloudcmd
..

But apt-file won't find any files in it:

% apt-file list nextcloud-client
(no output)

"apt-file search nextcloud" doesn't work either.

But apt-file does work with other packages, for instance:

% apt-file list zip
zip: /usr/bin/zip
zip: /usr/bin/zipcloak
..

Any ideas?

Bye
Volker

Re: apt-file does not work for specific package

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Freitag, den 28.12.2018, 04:52 +0100 schrieb Volker Wysk:
> Hi
>
> I've installed the nextcloud desktop client with a third-party PPA:

> But apt-file won't find any files in it:
>
> % apt-file list nextcloud-client
> (no output)
>
> "apt-file search nextcloud" doesn't work either.
>
> But apt-file does work with other packages, for instance:

did you try an "sudo apt-file update" yet ?

ciao
        oli

Am Freitag, 28. Dezember 2018, 12:14:48 CET schrieb Oliver Grawert:

> hi,
>
> Am Freitag, den 28.12.2018, 04:52 +0100 schrieb Volker Wysk:
> > Hi
>
> > I've installed the nextcloud desktop client with a third-party PPA:
>
> > But apt-file won't find any files in it:
> >
> > % apt-file list nextcloud-client
> > (no output)
> >
> > "apt-file search nextcloud" doesn't work either.
>
> > But apt-file does work with other packages, for instance:
> did you try an "sudo apt-file update" yet ?

Yes. And the man page of apt-file says:

       update
           Deprecated action that just calls "apt update".

Bye
Volker