apt-get not updating GUI packages?

Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)
Hi,

I run Ubuntu 16.04 as a Dovecot mailserver and to keep the system
patched am religiously using ssh to sign into the machine and run both
of the following commands:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade with an occasional $ sudo apt autoremove

On both previous incidents where I was told after signing in that there
were updates available, I ran the above commands.
Afterwards I reboot the machine using sudo and then sign-in again via
SSH to check if more updates are available.

Below is a screen paste
******
Welcome to Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.4.0-121-generic x86_64)

  * Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com
  * Management:     https://landscape.canonical.com
  * Support:        https://ubuntu.com/advantage

   System information as of Mon Apr 30 16:00:41 SAST 2018

   System load:  0.44               Processes:           173
   Usage of /:   35.6% of 46.64GB   Users logged in:     0
   Memory usage: 1%                 IP address for eth0: xxx.xxx.x.xx
   Swap usage:   0%

   Graph this data and manage this system at:
     https://landscape.canonical.com/

10 packages can be updated.
0 updates are security updates.

You have mail.
Last login: Mon Apr 30 15:55:31 2018 from 192.168.0.10

So given that there are updates I run:
hylton@machine:~$ sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for hylton:
Get:1 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease [107 kB]
Hit:2 http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu xenial
InRelease
Hit:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease

Hit:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease

Hit:5 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease
Fetched 107 kB in 1s (73.7 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
hylton@machine:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
   linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
linux-signed-generic
   linux-signed-image-generic
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
hylton@machine:~$

******
Both times the information blurb on Ubuntu tells me there are still the
same number of packages to be updated. Asides from this the blurb said
10 packages needed updating yet the upgrade command said only 5 would
not be upgraded?

Looking at the man page for apt-get it indicates that apt-get is the
workhorse behind GUI package managers i.e. Synaptic.

However if I log onto the machine GUI and select Synaptic I can install
the 5 packages that were kept back by apt-get?

Two questions:
1. Why does the blurb indicate there are 10 packages need updating yet
the upgrade only indicates 5, which end up being held back and needing
to be installed using a GUI package manager?
2. Is there a switch I am missing on the commands to install GUI
packages from the CLI as apt-get, being the workhorse it is supposed to
be isn't working very hard as it's leaving what seems to be kernel
updates to the GUI package manager which probably uses apt-get in the
background anyway.

Regards
Hylton
P.S: I am a subscriber to the mailing list

exit my SSH session

Re: apt-get not updating GUI packages?

Liam Proven
On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 at 16:36, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,

> I run Ubuntu 16.04 as a Dovecot mailserver and to keep the system
> patched am religiously using ssh to sign into the machine and run both
> of the following commands:
> $ sudo apt-get update
> $ sudo apt-get upgrade

That 2nd command should be

apt-get dist-upgrade

... and "apt-get" is deprecated in recent years and the more modern version
is:

apt update
apt full-upgrade -y

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Re: apt-get not updating GUI packages?

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 14:51:17 +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
>On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 at 16:36, Hylton Conacher wrote:
>>religiously
>apt full-upgrade -y
Apropos           ^^
"religiously",this^^ is the cause for a vast number of religious wars.

Re: apt-get not updating GUI packages?

Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)
Hi Liam,

On 2018/04/30 16:51, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 at 16:36, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>
>> I run Ubuntu 16.04 as a Dovecot mailserver and to keep the system
>> patched am religiously using ssh to sign into the machine and run both
>> of the following commands:
>> $ sudo apt-get update
>> $ sudo apt-get upgrade
>
> That 2nd command should be
>
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> ... and "apt-get" is deprecated in recent years and the more modern version
> is:
>
> apt update
> apt full-upgrade -y

Thank you for the command update, however the apt upgrade command
revealed the same issue as its predecessor. As the mailserver has edited
configuration files for fetchmail, Dovecot and a few others a
full-upgrade is a little less desirable as reading the man page for apt
scared me a little i.e.:  full-upgrade performs the function of upgrade
but will REMOVE CURRENTLY INSTALLED PACKAGES IF THIS IS NEEDED TO
UPGRADE THE SYSTEM AS A WHOLE.

If a full-upgrade is performed and then A edited file is deleted because
the system no longer uses fetchmail for instance, this is a MAJOR train
smash.

OK so I am a relative newbie to Linux and the cli but still.
Seeing as the packages that were stopped from upgrading do not indicate
files I might need i.e. fetchmail, my questions still remains why apt
will not update 5 files yet using synaptic via a GUI will especially
since apt, I assume, is the back-end to Synaptic, or am I stuck using
the GUI when I thought the CLI out manoeuvred the GUI?

As I hope you can see the bigger question is why Synaptic can upgrade
the packages left by apt yet apt, apparently being the back-end to
Synaptic, can't?

Regards
Hylton

Re: apt-get not updating GUI packages?

Colin Watson
On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 08:49:58PM +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
> Thank you for the command update, however the apt upgrade command revealed
> the same issue as its predecessor. As the mailserver has edited
> configuration files for fetchmail, Dovecot and a few others a full-upgrade
> is a little less desirable as reading the man page for apt scared me a
> little i.e.:  full-upgrade performs the function of upgrade but will REMOVE
> CURRENTLY INSTALLED PACKAGES IF THIS IS NEEDED TO UPGRADE THE SYSTEM AS A
> WHOLE.

It will prompt you before it removes anything, so you can review the
list of packages to be removed and say "no" if there's anything you
don't approve of there.

"apt upgrade" is a middle ground between "apt-get upgrade" and "apt
full-upgrade"; it will install new packages if needed, but it won't
remove currently-installed packages.

> OK so I am a relative newbie to Linux and the cli but still.
> Seeing as the packages that were stopped from upgrading do not indicate
> files I might need i.e. fetchmail, my questions still remains why apt will
> not update 5 files yet using synaptic via a GUI will especially since apt, I
> assume, is the back-end to Synaptic, or am I stuck using the GUI when I
> thought the CLI out manoeuvred the GUI?
>
> As I hope you can see the bigger question is why Synaptic can upgrade the
> packages left by apt yet apt, apparently being the back-end to Synaptic,
> can't?

apt certainly can - you're just choosing to use it in a particular
extremely-conservative mode where it refuses to do so.

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 20:49:58 +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
>Seeing as the packages that were stopped from upgrading do not
>indicate files I might need i.e. fetchmail, my questions still remains
>why apt will not update 5 files yet using synaptic via a GUI will
>especially since apt, I assume, is the back-end to Synaptic, or am I
>stuck using the GUI when I thought the CLI out manoeuvred the GUI?
>
>As I hope you can see the bigger question is why Synaptic can upgrade
>the packages left by apt yet apt, apparently being the back-end to
>Synaptic, can't?

By default Synaptic performs a dist-upgrade. The dist-upgrade is named
"smart upgrade" by Synaptic.

"[snip]
Smart Upgrade (Dist-Upgrade) -- recommended
The smart upgrade method tries to resolve package conflicts. This
includes installing additional dependencies (required packages) if
needed and preferring packages with higher priority. Smart Upgrade has
the same effect as the apt-get dist-upgrade tool on the command line.
[snip]
Dist-upgrade is the default upgrade method used by Synaptic.
[snip]" -
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto#How_to_keep_your_system_up-to-date.2C_including_the_Kernel

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 20:00:11 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
>It will prompt you before it removes anything, so you can review the
>list of packages to be removed and say "no" if there's anything you
>don't approve of there.

The "-y, --yes, --assume-yes" switch used by Liam's example could
remove packages that are considered as non-essential packages.

On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 04:15:21AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 20:00:11 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> >It will prompt you before it removes anything, so you can review the
> >list of packages to be removed and say "no" if there's anything you
> >don't approve of there.
>
> The "-y, --yes, --assume-yes" switch used by Liam's example could
> remove packages that are considered as non-essential packages.

Right, that's true - but if you omit that option it's much safer.  (I
never use that option except in scripts that operate on throwaway
environments.)