aptdaemon

Barry Warsaw-2
I believe aptdaemon is effectively abandoned.  It's been removed from Debian
but it's still hanging around in Ubuntu due to a few reverse dependencies:

% reverse-depends aptdaemon
Reverse-Depends
===============
* gnome-software
* language-selector-gnome
* oem-config-gtk
* python-aptdaemon
* python3-aptdaemon
* sessioninstaller

I think the gnome-software dependency is unnecessary.  I can't find a
reference to aptdaemon in the source, and I built a version without it in my
PPA, tested it in a Zesty VM and it worked fine afaict.  I've prepared a
version that's ready for upload, which I'd like to do unless someone with more
knowledge about it objects.  (OTOH, it's not urgent so it can wait until after
Zesty.)

That leaves three remaining dependencies (ignoring python{,3}-apdaemon) all of
which appear legitimate.  Note that language-selector-gnome, oem-config-gtk,
and sessioninstaller are only in Ubuntu, not in Debian, and each still have
their own reverse dependencies.

I bring this up because back in January, I uploaded aptdaemon
1.1.1+bzr982-0ubuntu17 which was a contributed fix for LP: #1623856; a problem
with the minimum window height.  I thought I'd tested the build at the time,
but I got distracted with other things, and was reminded today that it's
*still* in -proposed because its failing its tests.  I don't think those tests
are fixable without a fair bit of work since afaict, they are using obsolete
APIs that no longer exist.  The version before mine was last uploaded in
Yakkety, and even trying to build the Yakkety version in Zesty fails.  So my
changes (as expected) aren't relevant and the package is simply no longer
buildable in Ubuntu.  Yay for TIL.

Given the state of aptdaemon, I think it's in Ubuntu's interest to drop it,
but that means porting or dropping language-selector-gnome, oem-config-gtk
(src:ubuquity), and sessioninstaller.  I don't know what the states of those
packages are, so the best I can do is file bugs against them.

Given where we are in the Zesty cycle, I recommend just dropping aptdaemon
1.1.1+bzr982-0ubuntu17 from -proposed and marking LP: #1623856 as Won't Fix.
Let's try to drop aptdaemon from Ubuntu in Acrobatic Aardvark.

Cheers,
-Barry

Re: aptdaemon

Matthias Klumpp

> I believe aptdaemon is effectively abandoned.  It's been removed from Debian
> but it's still hanging around in Ubuntu due to a few reverse dependencies:
>
> % reverse-depends aptdaemon
> Reverse-Depends
> ===============
> * gnome-software
> * language-selector-gnome
> * oem-config-gtk
> * python-aptdaemon
> * python3-aptdaemon
> * sessioninstaller
>
> I think the gnome-software dependency is unnecessary.  I can't find a
> reference to aptdaemon in the source, and I built a version without it in my
> PPA, tested it in a Zesty VM and it worked fine afaict.  I've prepared a
> version that's ready for upload, which I'd like to do unless someone with more
> knowledge about it objects.  (OTOH, it's not urgent so it can wait until after
> Zesty.)
>
> That leaves three remaining dependencies (ignoring python{,3}-apdaemon) all of
> which appear legitimate.  Note that language-selector-gnome, oem-config-gtk,
> and sessioninstaller are only in Ubuntu, not in Debian, and each still have
> their own reverse dependencies.
>
> I bring this up because back in January, I uploaded aptdaemon
> 1.1.1+bzr982-0ubuntu17 which was a contributed fix for LP: #1623856; a problem
> with the minimum window height.  I thought I'd tested the build at the time,
> but I got distracted with other things, and was reminded today that it's
> *still* in -proposed because its failing its tests.  I don't think those tests
> are fixable without a fair bit of work since afaict, they are using obsolete
> APIs that no longer exist.  The version before mine was last uploaded in
> Yakkety, and even trying to build the Yakkety version in Zesty fails.  So my
> changes (as expected) aren't relevant and the package is simply no longer
> buildable in Ubuntu.  Yay for TIL.
>
> Given the state of aptdaemon, I think it's in Ubuntu's interest to drop it,
> but that means porting or dropping language-selector-gnome, oem-config-gtk
> (src:ubuquity), and sessioninstaller.  I don't know what the states of those
> packages are, so the best I can do is file bugs against them.
>
> Given where we are in the Zesty cycle, I recommend just dropping aptdaemon
> 1.1.1+bzr982-0ubuntu17 from -proposed and marking LP: #1623856 as Won't Fix.
> Let's try to drop aptdaemon from Ubuntu in Acrobatic Aardvark.

I can't comment on the other stuff, but sessioninstaller is
essentially obsolete if you have GNOME Software with the PackageKit
backend installed, as in that case GS will provide the PackageKit
session interface.
Sessionistaller seems to be broken in general, as it probably hasn't
transitioned to the new session API.
(every once in a while someone attributes these issues to PackageKit,
which makes me notice them)
See for example this issue:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sessioninstaller/+bug/1661371

Cheers,
    Matthias

Fwd: aptdaemon

Matthias Klumpp-2

> [...]
> but that means porting or dropping language-selector-gnome, oem-config-gtk
> (src:ubuquity), and sessioninstaller.  I don't know what the states of those
> packages are, so the best I can do is file bugs against them.
>
> Given where we are in the Zesty cycle, I recommend just dropping aptdaemon
> 1.1.1+bzr982-0ubuntu17 from -proposed and marking LP: #1623856 as Won't Fix.
> Let's try to drop aptdaemon from Ubuntu in Acrobatic Aardvark.

I can't comment on the other stuff, but sessioninstaller is
essentially obsolete if you have GNOME Software with the PackageKit
backend installed, as in that case GS will provide the PackageKit
session interface.
Sessionistaller seems to be broken in general, as it probably hasn't
transitioned to the new session API.
(every once in a while someone attributes these issues to PackageKit,

Neal Gompa
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Barry Warsaw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe aptdaemon is effectively abandoned.  It's been removed from Debian
> but it's still hanging around in Ubuntu due to a few reverse dependencies:
>
> % reverse-depends aptdaemon
> Reverse-Depends
> ===============
> * gnome-software
> * language-selector-gnome
> * oem-config-gtk
> * python-aptdaemon
> * python3-aptdaemon
> * sessioninstaller
>
> I think the gnome-software dependency is unnecessary.  I can't find a
> reference to aptdaemon in the source, and I built a version without it in my
> PPA, tested it in a Zesty VM and it worked fine afaict.  I've prepared a
> version that's ready for upload, which I'd like to do unless someone with more
> knowledge about it objects.  (OTOH, it's not urgent so it can wait until after
> Zesty.)
>
> That leaves three remaining dependencies (ignoring python{,3}-apdaemon) all of
> which appear legitimate.  Note that language-selector-gnome, oem-config-gtk,
> and sessioninstaller are only in Ubuntu, not in Debian, and each still have
> their own reverse dependencies.
>
> I bring this up because back in January, I uploaded aptdaemon
> 1.1.1+bzr982-0ubuntu17 which was a contributed fix for LP: #1623856; a problem
> with the minimum window height.  I thought I'd tested the build at the time,
> but I got distracted with other things, and was reminded today that it's
> *still* in -proposed because its failing its tests.  I don't think those tests
> are fixable without a fair bit of work since afaict, they are using obsolete
> APIs that no longer exist.  The version before mine was last uploaded in
> Yakkety, and even trying to build the Yakkety version in Zesty fails.  So my
> changes (as expected) aren't relevant and the package is simply no longer
> buildable in Ubuntu.  Yay for TIL.
>
> Given the state of aptdaemon, I think it's in Ubuntu's interest to drop it,
> but that means porting or dropping language-selector-gnome, oem-config-gtk
> (src:ubuquity), and sessioninstaller.  I don't know what the states of those
> packages are, so the best I can do is file bugs against them.
>
> Given where we are in the Zesty cycle, I recommend just dropping aptdaemon
> 1.1.1+bzr982-0ubuntu17 from -proposed and marking LP: #1623856 as Won't Fix.
> Let's try to drop aptdaemon from Ubuntu in Acrobatic Aardvark.

So, sessioninstaller is an aptdaemon based implementation of the
PackageKit session interface. The two can be dropped together, since
they are both unmaintained and not needed. PackageKit provides
everything needed as a replacement.

The dependency by gnome-software is illusory, as it depends on
PackageKit D-Bus interfaces (provided by PackageKit). The dependency
wasn't even present in xenial, as far as I recall...

oem-config-gtk is a single script[1] with only a few lines of code
actually using aptdaemon, and that can be ported to use PackageKit
instead.

language-selector-gnome is similar[2], and should be easy to port out
to PackageKit, assuming this is even needed anymore. It doesn't look
like it's maintained either...

[1]: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-installer/ubiquity/trunk/view/head:/bin/oem-config-remove-gtk

[2]: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/vivid/language-selector/vivid/view/head:/LanguageSelector/gtk/GtkLanguageSelector.py

Re: aptdaemon

David Jordan
Just piping in to voice that oem-config-gtk is currently quite essential
to system vendors shipping Ubuntu Desktop.  Any action taken here should
avoid breaking oem installs for 17.04, 17.10, etc.  Whether that means
keeping aptdaemon around or porting oem-config-gtk, I don't have a clear
opinion yet.

--
  David Jordan
  [hidden email]

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 12:44 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> [...]
> Yakkety, and even trying to build the Yakkety version in Zesty fails.  So
> my
> changes (as expected) aren't relevant and the package is simply no longer
> buildable in Ubuntu.  Yay for TIL.
>
> Given the state of aptdaemon, I think it's in Ubuntu's interest to drop
> it,
> but that means porting or dropping language-selector-gnome,
> oem-config-gtk
> (src:ubuquity), and sessioninstaller.  I don't know what the states of
> those
> packages are, so the best I can do is file bugs against them.
>
> Given where we are in the Zesty cycle, I recommend just dropping
> aptdaemon
> 1.1.1+bzr982-0ubuntu17 from -proposed and marking LP: #1623856 as Won't
> Fix.
> Let's try to drop aptdaemon from Ubuntu in Acrobatic Aardvark.

Re: aptdaemon

Steve Langasek-6
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 03:44:59PM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> I believe aptdaemon is effectively abandoned.  It's been removed from Debian
> but it's still hanging around in Ubuntu due to a few reverse dependencies:
>
> % reverse-depends aptdaemon
> Reverse-Depends
> ===============
> * gnome-software
> * language-selector-gnome
> * oem-config-gtk
> * python-aptdaemon
> * python3-aptdaemon
> * sessioninstaller
I think this is the wrong command and you need 'reverse-depends
src:aptdaemon' to see the actual impact here.  This shows that there are
lots more reverse-dependencies on the python modules.

> I think the gnome-software dependency is unnecessary.  I can't find a
> reference to aptdaemon in the source, and I built a version without it in my
> PPA, tested it in a Zesty VM and it worked fine afaict.  I've prepared a
> version that's ready for upload, which I'd like to do unless someone with more
> knowledge about it objects.  (OTOH, it's not urgent so it can wait until after
> Zesty.)
>
> That leaves three remaining dependencies (ignoring python{,3}-apdaemon) all of
> which appear legitimate.  Note that language-selector-gnome, oem-config-gtk,
> and sessioninstaller are only in Ubuntu, not in Debian, and each still have
> their own reverse dependencies.
>
> I bring this up because back in January, I uploaded aptdaemon
> 1.1.1+bzr982-0ubuntu17 which was a contributed fix for LP: #1623856; a problem
> with the minimum window height.  I thought I'd tested the build at the time,
> but I got distracted with other things, and was reminded today that it's
> *still* in -proposed because its failing its tests.  I don't think those tests
> are fixable without a fair bit of work since afaict, they are using obsolete
> APIs that no longer exist.  The version before mine was last uploaded in
> Yakkety, and even trying to build the Yakkety version in Zesty fails.  So my
> changes (as expected) aren't relevant and the package is simply no longer
> buildable in Ubuntu.  Yay for TIL.
>
> Given the state of aptdaemon, I think it's in Ubuntu's interest to drop it,
> but that means porting or dropping language-selector-gnome, oem-config-gtk
> (src:ubuquity), and sessioninstaller.  I don't know what the states of those
> packages are, so the best I can do is file bugs against them.
>
> Given where we are in the Zesty cycle, I recommend just dropping aptdaemon
> 1.1.1+bzr982-0ubuntu17 from -proposed and marking LP: #1623856 as Won't Fix.
> Let's try to drop aptdaemon from Ubuntu in Acrobatic Aardvark.
>
> Cheers,
> -Barry

Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/

Re: aptdaemon

Barry Warsaw-2
On Mar 15, 2017, at 01:28 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:

>I think this is the wrong command and you need 'reverse-depends
>src:aptdaemon' to see the actual impact here.  This shows that there are
>lots more reverse-dependencies on the python modules.

Ah, indeed.  That explains why aptdaemon was still pulled in even with the dep
removed from gnome-software.  g-s -> software-properties-gtk -> aptdaemon

I'm still going to ask that the version of aptdaemon in -proposed be dropped
and will close that bug as Won't Fix.

-Barry

Reverse-Recommends
==================
* 0install-core                 (for python3-aptdaemon.pkcompat)
* dell-recovery                 (for python-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets)
* update-notifier               (for python3-aptdaemon)
* update-notifier               (for python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets)

Reverse-Depends
===============
* apturl                        (for python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets)
* apturl                        (for python3-aptdaemon)
* gnome-software                (for aptdaemon)
* language-selector-gnome       (for python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets)
* language-selector-gnome       (for aptdaemon)
* lubuntu-software-center       (for python-aptdaemon)
* lubuntu-software-center       (for python-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets)
* mythbuntu-control-centre      (for python-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets)
* oem-config-gtk                (for python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets)
* oem-config-gtk                (for aptdaemon)
* sessioninstaller              (for python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets)
* sessioninstaller              (for aptdaemon)
* software-properties-gtk       (for python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets)
* ubuntu-mate-core              (for python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets)
* ubuntu-mate-desktop           (for python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets)
* ubuntu-mate-welcome           (for python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets)
* ubuntu-mate-welcome           (for python3-aptdaemon)
* update-manager                (for python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets)

Packages without architectures listed are reverse-dependencies in: amd64, arm64, armhf, i386, powerpc, ppc64el, s390x

Re: aptdaemon

Barry Warsaw-2
On Mar 15, 2017, at 01:28 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:

>I think this is the wrong command and you need 'reverse-depends
>src:aptdaemon' to see the actual impact here.  This shows that there are
>lots more reverse-dependencies on the python modules.

LP: #1673258

-Barry

Re: aptdaemon

Jeremy Bicha-2
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Barry Warsaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
> * sessioninstaller

sessioninstaller is broken in zesty now (LP: #1661371)

As I commented on the bug, gnome-software can replace sessioninstaller
(at least for the purpose of installing the codecs to play an mp3),
but it doesn't work with gnome-software apt backend.

We could switch gnome-software to use PackageKit instead of our
patched-in apt backend (LP: #1643134), but it's getting late in
zesty's release cycle. I could create a PPA with a PK-enabled
gnome-software if people want to take a look at it.

> I think the gnome-software dependency is unnecessary.

Ok, I dropped the aptdaemon depends from the gnome-software bzr
packaging repository.

Jeremy

Re: aptdaemon

Jeremy Bicha-2
PPA available now for gnome-software with the PackageKit backend:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/+archive/ubuntu/gnome-software/

Jeremy

Re: aptdaemon

Colin Watson
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 03:44:59PM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Given the state of aptdaemon, I think it's in Ubuntu's interest to drop it,
> but that means porting or dropping language-selector-gnome, oem-config-gtk
> (src:ubuquity), and sessioninstaller.  I don't know what the states of those
> packages are, so the best I can do is file bugs against them.

oem-config's use of aptdaemon is a single <100-line script,
bin/oem-config-remove-gtk in lp:ubiquity.  I think it would probably
take less than a day for somebody familiar with the current state of
this stuff to port it.

Re: aptdaemon

Sebastien Bacher-4
Hey Barry,

Le 15/03/2017 à 20:44, Barry Warsaw a écrit :
> Given the state of aptdaemon, I think it's in Ubuntu's interest to drop it,
> but that means porting or dropping language-selector-gnome, oem-config-gtk
> (src:ubuquity), and sessioninstaller.  I don't know what the states of those
> packages are, so the best I can do is file bugs against them.
We have been wanting to move to proper packagekit for several cycles, in
fact we tried to do that for xenial when we started using gnome-software
since that's what upstream is using. Bugs had been open but so far we
didn't find people with free slots to work on converting those to
packagekit.

Of course you can check open bugs and files some new one but that's not
likely to help much moving the topic forward if we don't find people or
team to step up to work on that...

Note that at least for language-selector pitti mentioned in the past
that aptdaemon has some specific feature that isn't available in
packagekit so we might need to invest some work on packagekit itself as
well.

> Given where we are in the Zesty cycle, I recommend just dropping aptdaemon
> 1.1.1+bzr982-0ubuntu17 from -proposed and marking LP: #1623856 as Won't Fix.
> Let's try to drop aptdaemon from Ubuntu in Acrobatic Aardvark.
The change is a trivial gtk property tweak, why would we discard the fix
rather than just force migrating the new version in, since it has no
actual regression?

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

Re: aptdaemon

Barry Warsaw-2
On Mar 16, 2017, at 11:39 AM, Sebastien Bacher wrote:

>The change is a trivial gtk property tweak, why would we discard the fix
>rather than just force migrating the new version in, since it has no
>actual regression?

That's probably reasonable too.  In chatting with Steve on IRC, we at least
decided *not* to drop it from -proposed.  lp:aptdaemon is up-to-date but
dropping it could cause some version skew for a later upload (e.g. if someone
apt-get source'd it instead).

Cheers,
-Barry

Re: aptdaemon

Iain Lane-6
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 06:24:21PM -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Barry Warsaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I think the gnome-software dependency is unnecessary.
>
> Ok, I dropped the aptdaemon depends from the gnome-software bzr
> packaging repository.

I think this is a bogus change.

Look at the code:

  https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-software/tree/src/plugins/gs-plugin-apt.cc?h=wip/ubuntu-3-22#n846

and then let's see what provides that file

  laney@nightingale> dpkg -S /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.debian.apt.service
  aptdaemon: /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.debian.apt.service

So no. We are actively using aptdaemon in gnome-software and it is
definitely far too late to be switching it out. I guess that without
aptdaemon the PK backend is taking over installing packages - you could
confirm that by checking the --verbose output if you wanted to.

I agree that it would be better if our aptdaemon backend were dropped in
favour of using packagekit, but if somebody has time to work on this
then it is the task for the start of a cycle, not the end.

Iain Lane                                  [ [hidden email] ]
Debian Developer                                   [ [hidden email] ]
Ubuntu Developer                                   [ [hidden email] ]

Re: aptdaemon

Sebastien Bacher
Le 15/03/2017 à 23:24, Jeremy Bicha a écrit :
> sessioninstaller is broken in zesty now (LP: #1661371)
>
> As I commented on the bug, gnome-software can replace sessioninstaller
> (at least for the purpose of installing the codecs to play an mp3),
> but it doesn't work with gnome-software apt backend.

Hey there,

Just a follow up about sessioninstaller. I had a look at the issue and
it's still working, the problem is that the packagekit backend build has
been turned on mid-cycle in zesty (looks like an error, it was not
documented in the changelog at least) resulting in gnome-software
including a dbus .service/claiming the org.freedesktop.PackageKit name
on the session bus, which means sessioninstaller can't do that and is
bailing out.

We discussed that on IRC and Jeremy has uploaded a new gnome-software
revision to disable packagekit back, which should be enough to fix the
issue for zesty.

It would still be good to fix gnome-software codec installation when
using our apt backend so we can deprecate sessioninstaller though, I'm
going to have a look to that next.

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher