audio cd weirdness

ben miller
I just attempted to play a brand new CD on my computer. Under Gnome, it
wouldn't play with any application - CD Player, Totem, Sound Juicer, etc.
Nothing but dead air.  Under KDE, it would play with KsCD if that was the
first application I used. It I tried to play it with Amarok first I'd get
dead air and then if I tried to play it with KsCD. Any clues?

Thanks,
puzzled Ben

Re: audio cd weirdness

Marek Pawinski
On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 12:01 -0600, ben miller wrote:
> I just attempted to play a brand new CD on my computer. Under Gnome, it
> wouldn't play with any application - CD Player, Totem, Sound Juicer, etc.
> Nothing but dead air.  Under KDE, it would play with KsCD if that was the
> first application I used. It I tried to play it with Amarok first I'd get
> dead air and then if I tried to play it with KsCD. Any clues?
>
> Thanks,
> puzzled Ben

Does it say on the CD cover "will not play on pc or mac" ? maybe it's
one of those cd's that will play on cd players only, but there is a way
around that :-)

Re: audio cd weirdness

ben miller
On Saturday 19 November 2005 4:50 pm, Marek Pawinski wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 12:01 -0600, ben miller wrote:
> > I just attempted to play a brand new CD on my computer. Under Gnome, it
> > wouldn't play with any application - CD Player, Totem, Sound Juicer, etc.
> > Nothing but dead air.  Under KDE, it would play with KsCD if that was the
> > first application I used. It I tried to play it with Amarok first I'd get
> > dead air and then if I tried to play it with KsCD. Any clues?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > puzzled Ben
>
> Does it say on the CD cover "will not play on pc or mac" ? maybe it's
> one of those cd's that will play on cd players only, but there is a way
> around that :-)

It doesn't. There's only a giant FBI anti-piracy warning on the back. I
haven't seen that before, but I haven't bought many new CDs lately.

== Ben

Re: audio cd weirdness

Kim Briggs
On 11/20/05, ben miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Saturday 19 November 2005 4:50 pm, Marek Pawinski wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 12:01 -0600, ben miller wrote:
> > > I just attempted to play a brand new CD on my computer. Under Gnome, it
> > > wouldn't play with any application - CD Player, Totem, Sound Juicer, etc.
> > > Nothing but dead air. Under KDE, it would play with KsCD if that was the
> > > first application I used. It I tried to play it with Amarok first I'd get
> > > dead air and then if I tried to play it with KsCD. Any clues?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > puzzled Ben
> >
> > Does it say on the CD cover "will not play on pc or mac" ? maybe it's
> > one of those cd's that will play on cd players only, but there is a way
> > around that :-)
>

> It doesn't. There's only a giant FBI anti-piracy warning on the back. I
> haven't seen that before, but I haven't bought many new CDs lately.
>
> == Ben

Hi Ben,

I don't know anything about DRM and the like, but have you always been
the same user when you tried to play the CD?  It doesn't say in your
email whether you are playing other CD's without problems or not.
There can be a problem accessing the hardware if users are not members
of the "cdrom" group.

my 0.02USD.
--
http://kimbriggs.com

Re: audio cd weirdness

ben miller
On Sunday 20 November 2005 6:24 pm, Kim Briggs wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> I don't know anything about DRM and the like, but have you always been
> the same user when you tried to play the CD?  It doesn't say in your
> email whether you are playing other CD's without problems or not.
> There can be a problem accessing the hardware if users are not members
> of the "cdrom" group.
>
> my 0.02USD.

Hi Kim,

Yes, I've always been the same user and this is the first CD I've had problems
with.

Thanks,
Ben

Stuck in the installer..

custom-5

This is a bit awkward as I managed to install Hoary without a glitch a
couple of months ago.

I'm now trying to install Breezy from CD and I'm stuck..  I get stuck
where it goes to the partitioning thing and claims I didn't select a
root partition, even though I see a partition with the 'lighting'
character that's the active partition for the exisiting Hoary
installation.  I thought I could just reformat that one, (while
keeping the files in the home partition).

I don't really mind if it overwrites the existing system or even
existing files; I keep important files away from the Ubuntu drive
anyway.

Note that I cannot upgrade over the internet as Ubuntu doesn't seem to
like my modem, so that option is out and I will have to install (or
upgrade) using the CD. I downloaded the CD image and burnt a CD.

Should I just wipe the partitions off and start again?  Or does the
'upgrade' typically work, and then how do I go about making sure
Synaptic finds the CD.   Does anyone know where is a reliable guide to
doing the upgrade, it didn't seem to be included on the CD.

Cheers,
Chanchao

Re: Stuck in the installer..

David-99
On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 11:12:53AM +0700, Chanchao wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a bit awkward as I managed to install Hoary without a glitch a
> couple of months ago.
>
> I'm now trying to install Breezy from CD and I'm stuck..  I get stuck
> where it goes to the partitioning thing and claims I didn't select a
> root partition, even though I see a partition with the 'lighting'
> character that's the active partition for the exisiting Hoary
> installation.  I thought I could just reformat that one, (while
> keeping the files in the home partition).

I've just upgraded to Breezy on a Dell Inspiron 4000, after putting it off
in case there were serious problems with Breezy. So far, no problems.

This is what *I* did, without any RTFM at all!   ;-)

* Boot with old Hoary install
* Insert newly burned Breezy install .iso CD
* Follow the prompts (Hoary recognised the CD as an upgrade)

There was one "gotcha": There is a little triangle with the word
"terminal" next to it during the upgrade process. You have to click the
triangle order to show this terminal.

Unknown to me there were some critical prompts on that (invisible)
terminal. I sort of figured this out when the upgrade stalled for about an
hour (!). Once I made the terminal visible and answered the prompts,
everything went like clockwork. I can imagine that causing some headaches.

BTW, I think most people could take the default answer to those prompts
and be pretty safe.

> Should I just wipe the partitions off and start again?  Or does the
> 'upgrade' typically work, and then how do I go about making sure
> Synaptic finds the CD.   Does anyone know where is a reliable guide to
> doing the upgrade, it didn't seem to be included on the CD.

I would try the above before wiping your system. Reinstall seems a bit
drastic.

David.