aufs was rejected

J. R. Okajima

In last UDS, we have discussed about putting AUFS into linux kernel and
I concentrated working on it for four months. Today it becomes clear
that "Aufs was rejected. Let's give it up."
According to Christoph Hellwig, linux rejects all union-type filesystems
but UnionMount.
<http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123938533724484&w=2>

Most of my four months becomes wasted unfortunately. But it is ok since
aufs is surely improved.

J. R. Okajima

Re: aufs was rejected

Amit Kucheria-6
On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 10:15:15AM +0900, Junjiro Okajima wrote:

> In last UDS, we have discussed about putting AUFS into linux kernel and
> I concentrated working on it for four months. Today it becomes clear
> that "Aufs was rejected. Let's give it up."
> According to Christoph Hellwig, linux rejects all union-type filesystems
> but UnionMount.
> <http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123938533724484&w=2>
>
> Most of my four months becomes wasted unfortunately. But it is ok since
> aufs is surely improved.

That is unfortunate. Do you still intend to push this to the staging tree?

Regards,
Amit

Re: aufs was rejected

J. R. Okajima

Amit Kucheria:
> That is unfortunate. Do you still intend to push this to the staging tree?

In staging tree, Greg KH wrote
  - Some symbols might need to be exported from the main portion of the kernel
    source tree.  This is acceptable as long as the relevant subsystem
    maintainer agrees with this export.

And Christoph Hellwig rejected actually.
Additionally he doesn't want the staging tree merges aufs.

If you really want to push aufs, won't you talk to them first?

J. R. Okajima