authbind in platform/supported-sysadmin-common

authbind in platform/supported-sysadmin-common

Andreas Hasenack-5
Hi,

while investigating removing authbind from the server-ship seed[1], we
noticed it's still included via platform/supported-sysadmin-common. I
tracked this back to 2008 when the file was created already with that
content, so no particular reasoning was logged in the commit.

authbind has:
Reverse depends:
  * sauce (universe)

Reverse recommends:
  * jetty9 (universe)
  * tomcat8 (universe)

And rdepends[2] shows:
authbind
* Supported-Sysadmin-Common seed
* Server-Ship seed
* Reverse Recommends:
 +- tomcat8
    * Extra seed

Does anybody know why it's in the supported-sysadmin-common seed, and
if it could be removed from there as well?

Thanks!

1. https://code.launchpad.net/~ahasenack/ubuntu-seeds/+git/ubuntu/+merge/363001
2. http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/germinate-output/ubuntu.disco/rdepends/authbind/authbind

Re: authbind in platform/supported-sysadmin-common

Jeremy Bicha-2
On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 7:10 AM Andreas Hasenack <[hidden email]> wrote:
> while investigating removing authbind from the server-ship seed[1], we
> noticed it's still included via platform/supported-sysadmin-common. I
> tracked this back to 2008 when the file was created already with that
> content, so no particular reasoning was logged in the commit.

I tracked it back further to
https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/ubuntu-seeds/+git/ubuntu/commit/?id=a8d5ac595

Ubuntu Server has obviously changed dramatically since 2005 so I don't
think that you need to give much weight to its inclusion back then. :)

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha

Re: authbind in platform/supported-sysadmin-common

Andreas Hasenack-5
Thanks for the extra tracking! :)

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 10:46 AM Jeremy Bicha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 7:10 AM Andreas Hasenack <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > while investigating removing authbind from the server-ship seed[1], we
> > noticed it's still included via platform/supported-sysadmin-common. I
> > tracked this back to 2008 when the file was created already with that
> > content, so no particular reasoning was logged in the commit.
>
> I tracked it back further to
> https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/ubuntu-seeds/+git/ubuntu/commit/?id=a8d5ac595
>
> Ubuntu Server has obviously changed dramatically since 2005 so I don't
> think that you need to give much weight to its inclusion back then. :)
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy Bicha

authbind in platform/supported-sysadmin-common

Nafallo Bjälevik-3
 Hello,

On 12/02/2019 1:10 pm, Andreas Hasenack wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while investigating removing authbind from the server-ship seed[1], we
> noticed it's still included via platform/supported-sysadmin-common. I
> tracked this back to 2008 when the file was created already with that
> content, so no particular reasoning was logged in the commit.

I would say you should check with IS if they are still using that
package and need it supported.

Cheers,
Nafallo

Re: authbind in platform/supported-sysadmin-common

Colin Watson
On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 10:10:08AM -0200, Andreas Hasenack wrote:
> while investigating removing authbind from the server-ship seed[1], we
> noticed it's still included via platform/supported-sysadmin-common. I
> tracked this back to 2008 when the file was created already with that
> content, so no particular reasoning was logged in the commit.

FWIW, Launchpad still uses authbind on production as part of its init
scripts for some of its custom SSH-based services.