autoinstall-editor

Jerry Geis
https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/install/autoinstall this URL says there is a autoinstall-editor.  I am running 20.04 and "apt install autoinstall-editor" gives nothing.
"apt-files search autoinstall-editor" gives nothing.

Where is it ?

Jerry

Re: autoinstall-editor

Volker Wysk
Am Montag, den 11.01.2021, 22:01 -0500 schrieb Jerry Geis:
> https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/install/autoinstall this URL says there is a autoinstall-editor.  I am running 20.04 and "apt install autoinstall-editor" gives nothing.
> "apt-files search autoinstall-editor" gives nothing.
>
> Where is it ?

According to that page, it's a snap. It should be installable with "sudo
snap install autoinstall-editor", but that doesn't work for me. "snap
find autoinstall-editor" doesn't either...

Bye
Volker

Re: autoinstall-editor

Jerry Geis
Thanks Volker.   I had not put it together yet that "snap" was something completely different and needs its own command.
I would have thought the apt would have suggested that - just like suggests other things at times...

I get the same error as you

 snap install autoinstall-editor
error: snap "autoinstall-editor" not found

Jerry

Re: autoinstall-editor

C de-Avillez-2
On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 5:15 AM Jerry Geis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Volker.   I had not put it together yet that "snap" was something completely different and needs its own command.
> I would have thought the apt would have suggested that - just like suggests other things at times...
>
> I get the same error as you
>
>  snap install autoinstall-editor
> error: snap "autoinstall-editor" not found

From the referred page [1], we see this:

"*The snap described here does not yet exist* [ bold text in the page]

Alternatively there is a snap, autoinstall-editor, that can be used to
either edit or create from scratch
an autoinstall config (it is actually mostly the same code as that
that runs the installation in interactive mode)."

So there is not yet an editor available.

Cheers,

[1] https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/install/autoinstall

--
..hggdh..

Re: autoinstall-editor

Jerry Geis

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 8:02 PM C de-Avillez <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 5:15 AM Jerry Geis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Volker.   I had not put it together yet that "snap" was something completely different and needs its own command.
> I would have thought the apt would have suggested that - just like suggests other things at times...
>
> I get the same error as you
>
>  snap install autoinstall-editor
> error: snap "autoinstall-editor" not found

From the referred page [1], we see this:

"*The snap described here does not yet exist* [ bold text in the page]

Alternatively there is a snap, autoinstall-editor, that can be used to
either edit or create from scratch
an autoinstall config (it is actually mostly the same code as that
that runs the installation in interactive mode)."

So there is not yet an editor available.

Cheers,

[1] https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/install/autoinstall

--
..hggdh..

Thanks - I read that the first time and it did not register...  I am "stunned" that support for other installers (kickstart) was "dropped" before autoinstall is fully ready.  No "tool" to create the autoinstall file.   That and still not available. Not sure how something like that happens.
From a CentOS user coming to ubuntu or "trying" it out - it has been very frustrating to find these things out, support dropped (or migrated to a legacy CD, that took a long time to find out)... Then kickstart nut fullly supported - or at least for the things I was doing, then docs for autoinstall - were not working for me.. trial and error finally got me going with autoinstall that did anything... then come to the stage to try and tweak the autoinstall file - the example on the one webpage did not work - and no autoinstall-editor is even yet available.   I am using 20.04 and there is a later 20.10 and still not available.

Just summarizing what I ran into. Thank you for your reply.

Jerry