avoid interaction installing xfce

david-5
Folks

I am trying to install xfce4-session in a several Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
servers, some physical, some virtual.  These are fresh installs.  The
install is driven from a Perl script, containing the following (as root):

$ENV{DEBIAN_FRONTEND} = 'noninteractive';
system( "apt -y -qq install xfce4-session" );

Apparently this install requires intervention from the user, under
the title of "Package Configuration" and thus assumes there's a
console.  In this case, there is no one present.  I really don't want
to go to each of them and interact with the installation sequence by
hand..  Is there some way to avoid the interactive process in the
install?   Any clues?

Thanks

David

Re: avoid interaction installing xfce

Peter Flynn
On 06/12/2020 16:20, david wrote:

> Folks
>
> I am trying to install xfce4-session in a several Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
> servers, some physical, some virtual.  These are fresh installs.  The
> install is driven from a Perl script, containing the following (as root):
>
> $ENV{DEBIAN_FRONTEND} = 'noninteractive';
> system( "apt -y -qq install xfce4-session" );
>
> Apparently this install requires intervention from the user, under the
> title of "Package Configuration" and thus assumes there's a console.  In
> this case, there is no one present.  I really don't want to go to each
> of them and interact with the installation sequence by hand..  Is there
> some way to avoid the interactive process in the install?   Any clues?

Would it work with a simple confirmation, eg

system( "yes|apt -y -qq install xfce4-session" );

Or if you know that a string response is needed

system( "echo whatever|apt -y -qq install xfce4-session" );

Peter

At 02:33 PM 12/6/2020, Peter Flynn wrote:

>On 06/12/2020 16:20, david wrote:
>>Folks
>>I am trying to install xfce4-session in a
>>several Ubuntu 20.04 LTS servers, some
>>physical, some virtual.  These are fresh
>>installs.  The install is driven from a Perl
>>script, containing the following (as root):
>>$ENV{DEBIAN_FRONTEND} = 'noninteractive';
>>system( "apt -y -qq install xfce4-session" );
>>Apparently this install requires intervention
>>from the user, under the title of "Package
>>Configuration" and thus assumes there's a
>>console.  In this case, there is no one
>>present.  I really don't want to go to each of
>>them and interact with the installation
>>sequence by hand..  Is there some way to avoid
>>the interactive process in the install?   Any clues?
>
>Would it work with a simple confirmation, eg
>
>system( "yes|apt -y -qq install xfce4-session" );
>
>Or if you know that a string response is needed
>
>system( "echo whatever|apt -y -qq install xfce4-session" );
>
>Peter

When run with a real console, it wants you to
select one of the options then press "OK".  It
uses what I think is called ASCII graphics, and
you move around with tab/arrows/enter.  I fear
that's a lot to put in your "yes" phrase, but
you've given me an idea I might be able to use.  Thanks

David