best audio/sound converter

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

best audio/sound converter

Buzzy!
hello everybody!
please can you suggest me the best audio converter(s)?
i need to convert wav to mp3.
thanks

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: best audio/sound converter

Steve Flynn
On 06/10/06, Buzzy! <[hidden email]> wrote:
hello everybody!
please can you suggest me the best audio converter(s)?
i need to convert wav to mp3.
thanks

Lame

--
Steve
Despair - It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black...
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: best audio/sound converter

Buzzy!
lame is CLI ?
i need a GUI, please :)

On 10/6/06, Steve Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 06/10/06, Buzzy! <[hidden email]> wrote:
hello everybody!
please can you suggest me the best audio converter(s)?
i need to convert wav to mp3.
thanks

Lame

--
Steve
Despair - It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black...

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users" target="_blank"> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: best audio/sound converter

albi@scii.nl
On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 12:31:13 +0200
Buzzy! <[hidden email]> wrote:

> lame is CLI ?
> i need a GUI, please :)

you can try this :
$ apt-cache show soundkonverter

--
grtjs,
albi

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: best audio/sound converter

Peter Garrett
In reply to this post by Buzzy!
On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 12:31:13 +0200
Buzzy! <[hidden email]> wrote:

> lame is CLI ?
> i need a GUI, please :)

Well, yes, it is CLI - but on the other hand, although lame has many
options, in the simplest case you can just type:

lame yourmusic.wav  yourmusic.mp3

... which by default gives you 44.1 kHz 128 kbps , with stereo , for the
output mp3 :-)

It also takes *much* less space on your hard drive, and you don't have to
wait for the GUI to appear ;-)

Peter

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: best audio/sound converter

Buzzy!
is it faster?
which is the fastest?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: best audio/sound converter

Peter Garrett
On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 13:00:05 +0200
Buzzy! <[hidden email]> wrote:

> is it faster?
> which is the fastest?

GUIs are just front ends for these CLI programs, so any GUI will be slower
and take more resources than a plain command. If your GUI uses lame, it
will be basically running exactly the same commands you would run from the
command line, but with more overhead, inevitably.

It's really a question of what you feel comfortable with. If the CLI
scares you, use a GUI :-) Sometimes it's just easier to click than to type
- but really it depends on your preferences, and whether you like to learn
about what is really happening, under the pretty point and click
pictures ;-)

Peter

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: best audio/sound converter

Steve Flynn
In reply to this post by Buzzy!
On 06/10/06, Buzzy! <[hidden email]> wrote:
is it faster?
which is the fastest?

The speed of ANY converter depends on the quality of the MP3 you want it to produce. Set it to a low bitrate and low quality and it will be exceptionally fast, but I assume this will not be acceptable to you.

You will probably find that most of the various GUI convertor programs are either calling lame to to the work, or use the lame library to perform the conversion. As such, whether you use a GUI based product or use the lame command line, you'll get the same processing speed if you ask for the same level of audio compression.

Why don't you fire up your package manager, install a few MP3 converter/compressors and try out the GUI's until you find one you like?

Your question is the equivalent of asking "Which is the nicest colour?".

--
Steve
Despair - It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black...
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: best audio/sound converter

Thomas Paris
In reply to this post by Buzzy!
On Fri Oct  6 at 12:13 (+0200), Buzzy! wrote:
> hello everybody!

Hi there,

> please can you suggest me the best audio converter(s)?

I like soundconverter (that's the name of the package). Simple but does
the job.

HTH,
Thomas "mercen" PARIS

--
Google Talk / Jabber: [hidden email]
http://mercen.org         <- news
http://mercen.org/gallery <- photos

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: best audio/sound converter

Craig Hagerman

On Fri Oct  6 at 12:13 (+0200), Buzzy! wrote:
> hello everybody!


> please can you suggest me the best audio converter(s)?



That all depends. What do you want to convert from -> to ?

Craig

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: best audio/sound converter

Chris Lemire-2
In reply to this post by Buzzy!
oggenc is the best and recommended and will give you good quality. use it rather than lame. if you want a front-end gui to that, use grip. its very good. cdparanoia rips tracks from audio cds very well and grip is also a front end to that as well. grip will use many encoders, but the best for you to use is oggenc and cdparanoia. for some reason none of that works, just use oggenc from the cli.

Buzzy! <[hidden email]> wrote:
is it faster?
which is the fastest?
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


Get your email and more, right on the new Yahoo.com
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: best audio/sound converter

Chris Lemire-2
In reply to this post by Buzzy!
oggenc yourfile.wav

Buzzy! <[hidden email]> wrote:
is it faster?
which is the fastest?
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: best audio/sound converter

Graham Watkins-2
In reply to this post by Chris Lemire-2
On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 08:53 -0700, Chris Lemire wrote:
> oggenc is the best and recommended and will give you good quality. use
> it rather than lame. if you want a front-end gui to that, use grip.
> its very good. cdparanoia rips tracks from audio cds very well and
> grip is also a front end to that as well. grip will use many encoders,
> but the best for you to use is oggenc and cdparanoia. for some reason
> none of that works, just use oggenc from the cli.
>
I thought Oggenc would produce Ogg Vorbis files rather than mp3s.  This
may be fine and dandy - some folks say that Ogg Vorbis produces better
sound quality. Be that as it may, it's worth bearing in mind that some
(most?) portable players don't recognise the format

Cheers,

Graham


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: best audio/sound converter

Andy-93
Hi

On 06/10/06, Graham Watkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Be that as it may, it's worth bearing in mind that some
> (most?) portable players don't recognise the format
Mine does (sort of)

I have a Samsung YP-U1 Music Player, the box states it plays Ogg
files, and it seems fine playing the Ogg files I created myself. It
has problems with large Ogg files I downloaded from the net (speeches
over an hour long).

Anyone else had any experience with Ogg Vordis working or not working
on particular players?

Of course you could just create some oggs and then see if they work or not.

- Andy

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: best audio/sound converter

Graham Watkins-2
On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 19:46 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 06/10/06, Graham Watkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Be that as it may, it's worth bearing in mind that some
> > (most?) portable players don't recognise the format

> Mine does (sort of)
>
> I have a Samsung YP-U1 Music Player, the box states it plays Ogg
> files, and it seems fine playing the Ogg files I created myself. It
> has problems with large Ogg files I downloaded from the net (speeches
> over an hour long).
>
> Anyone else had any experience with Ogg Vordis working or not working
> on particular players?

Mine doesn't. Its a Creative MuVo 512Mb.  It just skips over them as
though they weren't there
>
> Of course you could just create some oggs and then see if they work or not.
>
Very true


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: best audio/sound converter

Robert E. Butts
In reply to this post by Thomas Paris
On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 16:37 +0200, Thomas PARIS wrote:
> I like soundconverter (that's the name of the package). Simple but
> does the job.

I like Audacity, though the lame codec to convert to MP3 is not included
in the Ubuntu package.  It must be downloaded separately.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: best audio/sound converter

Gabriel Dragffy
In reply to this post by Chris Lemire-2
On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 08:53 -0700, Chris Lemire wrote:
> oggenc is the best and recommended and will give you good quality. use
> it rather than lame. if you want a front-end gui to that, use grip.
> its very good. cdparanoia rips tracks from audio cds very well and
> grip is also a front end to that as well. grip will use many encoders,
> but the best for you to use is oggenc and cdparanoia. for some reason
> none of that works, just use oggenc from the cli.

Could someone provide an example line to use in the command line for
example. Reading the man page give so many options and I'm not sure
which ones I even need. All this stuff about little and big endians is
most confusing. Aren't Endians Native Americans or something?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: best audio/sound converter

Gérard BIGOT


On 10/7/06, Gabriel M Dragffy <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 08:53 -0700, Chris Lemire wrote:
> oggenc is the best and recommended and will give you good quality. use
> it rather than lame. if you want a front-end gui to that, use grip.
> its very good. cdparanoia rips tracks from audio cds very well and
> grip is also a front end to that as well. grip will use many encoders,
> but the best for you to use is oggenc and cdparanoia. for some reason
> none of that works, just use oggenc from the cli.

Could someone provide an example line to use in the command line for
example. Reading the man page give so many options and I'm not sure
which ones I even need. All this stuff about little and big endians is
most confusing.

<teach mode>

When you encode number on more than one byte, the first question you have to  answer is  : 'do I put the biggest part of the number at the beginning or at the end of the lot of bytes?".  For lots of reasons, the two answer are globally equivalent, and, historically the different kind of plateformes (SPARC, intel, ...) have had one or the other.
The problem is when you want to transfer one indianness encoding from the other you have somehow to trancode it, or it wont work.

Aren't Endians Native Americans or something?

Indians (with I at the beginning) are people from india. Native Americans are called Indians because Christopher Columbus thought he reached india, when in fact he discovered america. At this time, nobody knew there was something between espagna and india, on the westbound road he was exploring.

</teach mode>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

O/T (Re: best audio/sound converter )

Peter Garrett
On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 07:01:48 +0200
"Gérard BIGOT" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Christopher Columbus thought he reached india,
> when in fact he discovered america.

Actually he didn't discover America as such - he discovered the "West
Indies" ( more confusion of terms there )

IIRC America was named after one Amerigo Vespucci - by that time most
people had forgotten all about Columbus, and history had to dig him up
again :-)

Of course, actually the Vikings reached North America a long time before
Columbus, and the true "discoverers" of North America were (probably)
Native Americans who migrated across the Bering Strait from what is now
Siberia possibly during a period of low ocean levels..... ( Pleistocene Ice
Age) , although some argue that there was an existing American population
which was gradually pushed southwards as far as Tierra del Fuego by the
"invaders" ....

This of course is *highly* relevant to the question of sound conversion in
Ubuntu, since Al Gore is American,and we all know he invented the
Internet, (you know, the system of tubes and all that), which is the only
reason sound encoding or any other Ubuntu software can be so successful.
*grin*

</ totally off-topic stuff >

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: best audio/sound converter

Gabriel Dragffy
In reply to this post by Gérard BIGOT
On Sat, 2006-10-07 at 07:01 +0200, Gérard BIGOT wrote

>
> <teach mode>
>
> When you encode number on more than one byte, the first question you
> have to  answer is  : 'do I put the biggest part of the number at the
> beginning or at the end of the lot of bytes?".  For lots of reasons,
> the two answer are globally equivalent, and, historically the
> different kind of plateformes (SPARC, intel, ...) have had one or the
> other.
> The problem is when you want to transfer one indianness encoding from
> the other you have somehow to trancode it, or it wont work.
>
>
>         Aren't Endians Native Americans or something?
>
> Indians (with I at the beginning) are people from india. Native
> Americans are called Indians because Christopher Columbus thought he
> reached india, when in fact he discovered america. At this time,
> nobody knew there was something between espagna and india, on the
> westbound road he was exploring.
>
> </teach mode>
>

Great thanks for the history lesson, but that I knew already, I was
being a little sarcastic :P

But anyway, it still doesn't answer the question: what are endians?
Having read your reply I guess they aren't people who live in wigwams in
America. What does endians mean in relation to my audio converstions
etc.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
12