blueprint priorities

Allison Randal-4
I'm looking for more details on how people use blueprints, particularly
what the blueprint priorities mean.

If there's a page on this already, let me know and I'll work on getting
it a higher profile so it appears on Google/wiki.ubuntu.com searches. If
we don't have it documented yet, does this list map to how you use the
priorities?

Essential - Must happen in this cycle

High - Desirable in this cycle

Medium - Would like to happen in this cycle

Low - Likely to be dropped from this cycle

Rejected - Not considered in this cycle

If that's not quite right, how do you use the priorities, and do you
have some suggestions on better definitions?

Thanks,
Allison

Re: blueprint priorities

Kees Cook-8
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 03:03:54PM -0700, Allison Randal wrote:

> I'm looking for more details on how people use blueprints, particularly
> what the blueprint priorities mean.
>
> If there's a page on this already, let me know and I'll work on getting
> it a higher profile so it appears on Google/wiki.ubuntu.com searches. If
> we don't have it documented yet, does this list map to how you use the
> priorities?
>
> Essential - Must happen in this cycle
>
> High - Desirable in this cycle
>
> Medium - Would like to happen in this cycle
>
> Low - Likely to be dropped from this cycle
>
> Rejected - Not considered in this cycle
>

> If that's not quite right, how do you use the priorities, and do you
> have some suggestions on better definitions?

This is basically how the security team works, yes.

I would probably replace "Desirable in this cycle" with "Important for
this cycle" or maybe "Likely in this cycle", otherwise it sounds too
close to "Medium" to me.

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Ubuntu Security Team

Re: blueprint priorities

Martin Pitt-4
Hello Allison,

Allison Randal [2011-05-24 15:03 -0700]:
> Essential - Must happen in this cycle
> High - Desirable in this cycle
> Medium - Would like to happen in this cycle
> Low - Likely to be dropped from this cycle

That's how the desktop team uses them as well, roughly. I. e. >= High
→ we'll invest significant resources to make it happen, Medium → we
want it, but if something goes wrong we won't hesitate much to defer,
and low is entirely a target of opportunity.

Martin
--
Martin Pitt                        | http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com)  | Debian Developer  (www.debian.org)

Re: blueprint priorities

Andy Whitcroft-3
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 06:45:28AM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:

> Hello Allison,
>
> Allison Randal [2011-05-24 15:03 -0700]:
> > Essential - Must happen in this cycle
> > High - Desirable in this cycle
> > Medium - Would like to happen in this cycle
> > Low - Likely to be dropped from this cycle
>
> That's how the desktop team uses them as well, roughly. I. e. >= High
> → we'll invest significant resources to make it happen, Medium → we
> want it, but if something goes wrong we won't hesitate much to defer,
> and low is entirely a target of opportunity.

There kernel team is about the same.  Essential must happen, typically
these blueprint carry items without which there is no kernel.  High we
really really want, but there will be a kernel without.  Medium we want
but if theres no time, drop me.  Low, if we run out of things to do,
then these.

-apw

Re: blueprint priorities

Colin Watson
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 03:03:54PM -0700, Allison Randal wrote:
> Essential - Must happen in this cycle
>
> High - Desirable in this cycle

Informally, I think I tend to use Essential as "management will jump up
and down on our heads if this doesn't happen" and High as "we really
want this".  More or less ...