bonded dsl modem

uriah heep
 I need to purchase a "bonded" modem for a pots dsl line. From what I understand the modem must be "bonded" so that it can combine several lines. This seems to be common among cable modems but relatively rare for standard telephone lines. Would someone be so kind as to suggest some "bonded" modems they have used in the middle price line.

Re: bonded dsl modem

Lindsay Mathieson
On 18/09/2016 4:00 PM, Uriah Heep wrote:
>  I need to purchase a "bonded" modem for a pots dsl line. From what I
> understand the modem must be "bonded" so that it can combine several
> lines. This seems to be common among cable modems but relatively rare
> for standard telephone lines. Would someone be so kind as to suggest
> some "bonded" modems they have used in the middle price line.

Usually that only works with the cooperation of your ISP, and to be
honest, from what I heard, bonded adsl does not work that well. Most
ISP's have dropped it.

If what you want is intelligent use of mutliple ADSL connections then a
load balancing router/modem might be more up your alley. Most also
support intelligent failover, i.e switch connections to one line when
the other fails.

Draytek do a excellent number of them, though they are expensive and
tricky to configure, but very powerful. They also support 4G LTE modems
and sim cards.

The T-link TL-R480T+ is cheap and pretty good, supports aggregating up
to 4 WAN ports:

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-4910_TL-R480T%2B.html

Note:Its a router not a modem - you'll also need a modem for each line,
which is then connected into the router.

--
Lindsay Mathieson

Re: bonded dsl modem

uriah heep
The only Isp in this area (extremely rural->think Deliverance) is Windstream and the bonded option is new from Windstream. I have several neighbors who have switched to the option. Top speed in this area is about  7 megs and with bonding in theory results in 14 megs though in actual practice my neighbors report 13 megs download.  From my observation this results in a visible improvement in streaming quality on their mediocre mid to lower quality TV's I have a Samsung pd 8500 60" Plasma which is a top line unit and gorgeous for blue ray using my Oppo player.  The unit offered by the ISP is a combo modem router.  As I already have an excellent modem/router I thought I would just buy a modem (Bonded lines will not work on the modem part but the router will work from the combo Ethernet ports). (I checked on a neighbors unit. If the better deal is a combo unit I will get one of those as the units offered offered from the Isp for their regular service which cost an extra $ 7 a month are ultra cheep/shoddy and frequently need replacement which results in 5 days with no net even though I have made sure the telco line is well grounded.  After the second replacement I bought a high quality unit for better reliability and for longer range and no more rental expence.  After 30 months I have not required any replacement and my sister is able to log into my router using a yagi antenna I built for her when hers is down.

From what you wrote it seems probable that the bonded service is what is being offered by the ISP. I am not an early adapter and have waited for 5 months and my neighbors have not had any additional problems with their bonded (high speed) service.  This strictly for home use not office.

Thank you for the information.

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 4:40 AM, Lindsay Mathieson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

O. Sinclair
i just had to comment: "extremely rural"... I live in the capital of an
African country and the best you can get w/o chopping of an arm or a leg
is 5 Mbit/s - and that is via fibre. I get 3 Mbit/s myself using wireless...
And it is capped...

On 09/21/16 02:54, Uriah Heep wrote:

> [...]
>     honest, from what I heard, bonded adsl does not work that well. Most
>     ISP's have dropped it.
>

>     If what you want is intelligent use of mutliple ADSL connections
>     then a load balancing router/modem might be more up your alley. Most
>     also support intelligent failover, i.e switch connections to one
>     line when the other fails.
>
>     Draytek do a excellent number of them, though they are expensive and
>     tricky to configure, but very powerful. They also support 4G LTE
>     modems and sim cards.
>

>     The T-link TL-R480T+ is cheap and pretty good, supports aggregating
>     up to 4 WAN ports:
>
>     http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-4910_TL-R480T%2B.html
>     <http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-4910_TL-R480T%2B.html>
>
>     Note:Its a router not a modem - you'll also need a modem for each
>     line, which is then connected into the router.

Re: bonded dsl modem

David Lang
On Sun, 18 Sep 2016, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:

> On 18/09/2016 4:00 PM, Uriah Heep wrote:
>>  I need to purchase a "bonded" modem for a pots dsl line. From what I
>> understand the modem must be "bonded" so that it can combine several lines.
>> This seems to be common among cable modems but relatively rare for standard
>> telephone lines. Would someone be so kind as to suggest some "bonded"
>> modems they have used in the middle price line.
>
> Usually that only works with the cooperation of your ISP, and to be honest,
> from what I heard, bonded adsl does not work that well. Most ISP's have
> dropped it.

I'm in the same situation, the best connectivity I can get is a bonded pair of
DSL lines for a 10/2 connection

I currently have a Zyxel VMG4325-B10A from my ISP, which was last updated in
2012 by the vendor and is a real pain to deal with compared to *WRT. I'd love to
find a *WRT compatible device to use instead.

David Lang