boot stops after displaying "Loading initial ramdisk..."

boot stops after displaying "Loading initial ramdisk..."

robert rottermann

Hi there

while working on my Dell xps 15 laptop with Ubuntu 19.10 beta Firefox started to behave strangely.

So I rebooted my laptop. Since then it fails to boot.

I tried to run it from a 19.04 live cd, and then to upgrade/update as described in:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCdRecovery#Update_Failure

Update Failure

If there was an update that made your system non-bootable and they have fixed it in the repositories, you can use the Live CD to run apt-get to get the new files to fix your system.

  1. Boot the Ubuntu Live CD.
  2. Press Ctrl-Alt-F1

  3. sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

  4. sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev

  5. sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc

  6. sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys

  7. sudo chroot /mnt

  8. apt update

  9. apt upgrade

this did not help.

Can anybody please give me a hint how to fix this..

thanks

robert

Re: boot stops after displaying "Loading initial ramdisk..."

Little Girl
Hey there,

robert wrote:

>while working on my Dell xps 15 laptop with Ubuntu 19.10 beta
>Firefox started to behave strangely.
>
>So I rebooted my laptop. Since then it fails to boot.

What are the symptoms and/or what do you see when you try to boot?

This page is pretty old, but it may useful:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1756703

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: boot stops after displaying "Loading initial ramdisk..."

Tom H-4
On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 6:11 PM robert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> while working on my Dell xps 15 laptop with Ubuntu 19.10 beta Firefox started to behave strangely.
>
> So I rebooted my laptop. Since then it fails to boot.
>
> I tried to run it from a 19.04 live cd, and then to upgrade/update as described in:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCdRecovery#Update_Failure
>
> Update Failure
>
> If there was an update that made your system non-bootable and they have fixed it in the repositories, you can use the Live CD to run apt-get to get the new files to fix your system.
>
> Boot the Ubuntu Live CD.
>
> Press Ctrl-Alt-F1
>
> sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
>
> sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
>
> sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
>
> sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
>
> sudo chroot /mnt
>
> apt update
>
> apt upgrade
>
> this did not help.

What do "it fails to boot" and "this did not help" mean?

I'd use

sudo mount -o rbind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo mount -o rbind /proc /mnt/proc #or -t proc  proc /mnt/proc
sudo mount -o rbind /sys /mnt/sys

rbind: "/dev" and "/sys" have submounts

proc: it doesn't need to be a bind-mount

SOLVED Re: boot stops after displaying "Loading initial ramdisk..."

robert rottermann
Thanks for the answers

I finally solved the problem with ubuntu from a live usb stick over the
existing installation.

I was happy enough that the old installation used only one partition, so
I used it as / without formatting.

This preserved all my data, but "uninstalled" all modules that where
installed, as the existing system folder where wiped.

robert