btrfs - don't do it!

Lindsay Mathieson
Thought I'd give a spin with a clean 14.10 install.

Installed fine and has worked fine several months. I never really used the snapshot features except to play with.

Had a hard reset last week (power outage). Booted up ok but have been plagued by weird disk errors ever since - continual problems with operations failing due to lack of disk space, despite there being multiple 10's of GB spare. Increasing numbers of system errors.

Forcing a fsck on reboot fixed the problems for a while but they would return within a few hours. Today plasma would not start.

Research on the net shows a number of people reporting problems after hard resets. I'm reinstalling a clean image with ext4

--
Lindsay

On 18 April 2015 at 14:38, Cody Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
And why did you think BTRFS would be usable?

Because OpenSUSE is now defaulting to it, so I thought I'd give it a spin. I suspect its going to give them a world of grief.

it's nowhere near stable, and leagues behind ZFS (which is the filesystem in BSD BTRFS is /supposedly/ competing with, and it's doing just that, but very poorly). BTRFS still has a long ways to go before it's stable enough to be used by most users.

Oh I don't disagree and I very much wish ZFS was availble for easy boot/root partition installs for the ubuntu range. I uses it at work for shared storage for a VM Cluster - RAIDZ setup with SSD ZIL/Slog caching, its great.

--
Lindsay