building dkms source packages using mkdsc

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

building dkms source packages using mkdsc

Christopher Arges
Hi. I'm trying to build a debian source package that uses DKMS to build
and install a kernel module.

I examined the package that dkms mkdsc generates and I noticed a few things:
1) debian/rules doesn't use newer DH stuff like "%: dh $@ --with dkms"
2) debian/control's Standards-Version / debhelper versions are fairly old.

Is there a reason for this, or is this a 'patches are welcome' sort of
thing?

I think it would be awesome to make this a bit easier to generate a
proper dkms source package.

Thanks,
--chris j arges

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: building dkms source packages using mkdsc

Martin Pitt-4
Hey Chris,

Chris J Arges [2013-09-04 16:00 -0500]:
> I examined the package that dkms mkdsc generates and I noticed a few things:
> 1) debian/rules doesn't use newer DH stuff like "%: dh $@ --with dkms"
> 2) debian/control's Standards-Version / debhelper versions are fairly old.
>
> Is there a reason for this, or is this a 'patches are welcome' sort of
> thing?

It's just "nobody has touched dkms for a while". Not sure how active
upstream still is (Mario?), but I'd rather have these intrusive
changes upstream than carrying huge patches in Ubuntu only (package in
Debian also isn't very active).

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                        | http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com)  | Debian Developer  (www.debian.org)

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: building dkms source packages using mkdsc

Mario Limonciello-2
It's been on the backburner for me for a while.  Send patches to [hidden email] and i'm happy to look at them.


On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 2:04 AM, Martin Pitt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Chris,

Chris J Arges [2013-09-04 16:00 -0500]:
> I examined the package that dkms mkdsc generates and I noticed a few things:
> 1) debian/rules doesn't use newer DH stuff like "%: dh $@ --with dkms"
> 2) debian/control's Standards-Version / debhelper versions are fairly old.
>
> Is there a reason for this, or is this a 'patches are welcome' sort of
> thing?

It's just "nobody has touched dkms for a while". Not sure how active
upstream still is (Mario?), but I'd rather have these intrusive
changes upstream than carrying huge patches in Ubuntu only (package in
Debian also isn't very active).

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                        | http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com)  | Debian Developer  (www.debian.org)



--
Mario Limonciello
[hidden email]

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: building dkms source packages using mkdsc

Christopher Arges
Mario,
Sweet, I've made the modifications manually after running dkms mkdsc.
However, I'll figure out how to put that into the template files and
send you a patch when I can and after testing on my end.

Martin,
Of course I'll send them upstream first. : )

Now to just find some downtime to hack on this!

--chris j arges

On 10/03/2013 03:30 PM, Mario Limonciello wrote:

> It's been on the backburner for me for a while.  Send patches to
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> and i'm
> happy to look at them.
>
>
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 2:04 AM, Martin Pitt <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hey Chris,
>
>     Chris J Arges [2013-09-04 16:00 -0500]:
>     > I examined the package that dkms mkdsc generates and I noticed a
>     few things:
>     > 1) debian/rules doesn't use newer DH stuff like "%: dh $@ --with dkms"
>     > 2) debian/control's Standards-Version / debhelper versions are
>     fairly old.
>     >
>     > Is there a reason for this, or is this a 'patches are welcome' sort of
>     > thing?
>
>     It's just "nobody has touched dkms for a while". Not sure how active
>     upstream still is (Mario?), but I'd rather have these intrusive
>     changes upstream than carrying huge patches in Ubuntu only (package in
>     Debian also isn't very active).
>
>     Martin
>
>     --
>     Martin Pitt                        | http://www.piware.de
>     Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com <http://www.ubuntu.com>)  | Debian
>     Developer  (www.debian.org <http://www.debian.org>)
>
>
>
>
> --
> Mario Limonciello
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel