building unofficial xubuntu breezy CDs?

jani.monoses@gmail.com
Hello all

as we did not after all have CD images for breezy, the making of one is up to anybody interested.
I know there are among you people who already did something along these lines, so if there are volunteers
to build and beta test them now it is your chance. SABDFL said if there is an unofficial xubuntu CD it will be pointed
to from the ubuntu website.

The default install should probably contain ubuntu-standard + xubuntu-desktop, and the CD additional stuff until it spills over :)
Only packages which are already in breezy main/universe and with no patent/license issues qualify of course.

I am sorry we did indirectly prevent building of such a CD because of plans for an official breezy one. This kind of
mismanagement and miscommunication will hopefully not happen in the future.

thank you
Jani

Re: building unofficial xubuntu breezy CDs?

Daniel T Chen
Hi Jani,

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 07:14:52PM +0200, Jani Monoses wrote:
> as we did not after all have CD images for breezy, the making of one is up
> to anybody interested.
> I know there are among you people who already did something along these
> lines, so if there are volunteers
> to build and beta test them now it is your chance. SABDFL said if there is
> an unofficial xubuntu CD it will be pointed
> to from the ubuntu website.

Great!

> The default install should probably contain ubuntu-standard +
> xubuntu-desktop, and the CD additional stuff until it spills over :)
> Only packages which are already in breezy main/universe and with no
> patent/license issues qualify of course.

Ok, are we making this our top priority over the next couple weeks? I
would really hate to release even an unofficial one that hasn't been
tested thoroughly. We have but one chance to make a good impression.
:-)
--
Daniel T. Chen            [hidden email]
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc

Re: building unofficial xubuntu breezy CDs?

jani.monoses@gmail.com
Hi Daniel

Ok, are we making this our top priority over the next couple weeks? I

I agree regarding priority but I personally will not be able to publish such a CD as my bandwidth is very limited (10-30KBytes/s)
I hope I'll be able to test.
I haven't done any custom ubuntu CD builds so far that's why I asked for help. I don't know which would be a better way
of creating the CD: starting from an ubuntu one and adding/removing packages or replicating the build system at canonical
and using archives/seeds etc.

Jani

Re: building unofficial xubuntu breezy CDs?

jani.monoses@gmail.com

On 11/7/05, Mad-boy <[hidden email]> wrote:
I really do not think that using ubuntu default is such a good
idea.Cause it has too much unneeden stuff.
I suggest server install +xubuntu +other needen stuff.

Yes server install is ubuntu-standard I think. (or ubuntu-minimal). Either way it's the basic set of
packages which still makes a distro ubuntu. So it's not ubuntu standard as in the whole gnome desktop if that is
what you meant.

Jani

Re: building unofficial xubuntu breezy CDs?

Matt Price-3
On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 09:06:13PM +0200, Jani Monoses wrote:

> Hi Daniel
>

> > Ok, are we making this our top priority over the next couple weeks? I
> >

> I agree regarding priority but I personally will not be able to publish such
> a CD as my bandwidth is very limited (10-30KBytes/s)
> I hope I'll be able to test.
> I haven't done any custom ubuntu CD builds so far that's why I asked for
> help. I don't know which would be a better way
> of creating the CD: starting from an ubuntu one and adding/removing packages
> or replicating the build system at canonical
> and using archives/seeds etc.

having done a few small rebuilds I think using the ubuntu
seed/germinate method probably makes more sense than
package-by-package replacement -- the latter is rather painstaking an
difficult to automate.

Unfortunately I'm not running ubuntu on any of my own systems right
now (!), and gemrinate won't install on debian/sid.  As I understand
it, one downloads the current seeds from
http://people.ubuntu.com/~cjwatson/seeds/breezy
then modifies them and runs germinate (first feeding itt he right
parameters of course).  THen someohw one uses the germinate output to
generate a cd.  If it really works as automatically as is claimed,
then it should actually be quite a bit easier than modifying a ubuntu
cd by hand...

Matt

> Jani

Matt Price    [hidden email]
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094

Re: building unofficial xubuntu breezy CDs?

jani.monoses@gmail.com
it, one downloads the current seeds from
http://people.ubuntu.com/~cjwatson/seeds/breezy

thanks for the hint Matt. Actually for the latest xubuntu-desktop I used
a local bazaar branch of the ubuntu seeds, but did not use germinate.
The package lists in the seeds are used to generate dependencies in the {x,k,}ubuntu-meta
packages, and that's all I used them for. I'll need to check germinate again.

Jani