can not switch between sound devices

Gary J. Kirkpatrick
When I plug in a second monitor with the HDMI cable I can not switch to another sound source.   This had been working properly until today.  There has been no update unless there was something done in the background.

OS is Ubuntu 20.04

 killall pulseaudio

 pulseaudio -k

sudo apt-get install --reinstall alsa-base pulseaudio

sudo alsa force-reload

This happened when I switched from the Unity desktop to the Ubuntu desktop.  When I switch back to the Unity desktop I can switch between sound sources.

Anything else I can do to get the Ubuntu desktop sound switching to work correctly?

thanks

Gary

Re: can not switch between sound devices

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Sun, 15 Nov 2020 08:55:05 +0100, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:
>sudo apt-get install --reinstall alsa-base pulseaudio
>
>sudo alsa force-reload
>
>Anything else I can do to get the Ubuntu desktop sound switching to
>work correctly?

Hi,

I'm not a follower of the reinstall and/or reboot approach. However, if
you want to follow this approach, then for testing purpose do the
complete thing. First try to run

  sudo apt purge alsa-base pulseaudio

It much likely will not work, due to dependency conflicts. There much
likely is an option mentioned by the apt-get and/or dpkg man page, how
to allow the removal of packages, by breaking dependencies.

Once alsa-base and pulseaudio and their configuration files are purged
run

  sudo apt install alsa-base pulseaudio

after that add a new user, since user specific configurations were not
purged.

Then do not reload alsa and do not stop and start pulseaudio. Restart
the computer!

1. killall pulseaudio

is unlikely good for anything at all. I don't have this sound server
installed, but I often read that there are special commend to really
stop and start pulseaudio.

2. While the alsa reload might happen, it's better to restart the
machine. At least for real time audio there are some known issues, that
are hard to get rid of without a restart. It might not affect your
use case, but you never know.

3. At least for testing purpose log in as your brand new user.

Regards,
Ralf

On Sun, 2020-11-15 at 11:23 +0100, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> 1. killall pulseaudio
>
> is unlikely good for anything at all. I don't have this sound server
> installed, but I often read that there are special commend to really
> stop and start pulseaudio.                         ^^^^^^^
                                                     ^^^^^^^ commands ;)

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 11:40 AM Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 2020-11-15 at 11:23 +0100, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> 1. killall pulseaudio
>
> is unlikely good for anything at all. I don't have this sound server
> installed, but I often read that there are special commend to really
> stop and start pulseaudio.                         ^^^^^^^
                                                     ^^^^^^^ commands ;)

To update this, I switched back to the Unity desktop and all was fine.  I switched again the Ubuntu desktop, same problem, but then after testing the bluetooth ears from the sound menu I found them to be working on the test but still not ttransmitting the video sound, which was still going to the remote monitor's speakers.  I tested the bluetooth again, four or 5 times, and then they worked as they should-  sound from the video was routed through the bluetooth earbuds.  I had tried this very thing earlier without success.  Apparently going back to the Unity desktop etc as described above got things straightened out.

Thanks for the reply.

garyk