cannot upload to MTP phone

Luca Ferrari
Hi all,
I cannot paste files from dolphin into the storage of my mobile phone
(samsung galaxy j3) connected via MTP (all the folders are not
writable).
However I can download content from the phone (e.g., images).
Any idea?

Thanks

% lsb_release -a
                                                   ~
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        16.10
Codename:       yakkety

Re: cannot upload to MTP phone

Volker Wysk
Am Freitag, 19. Mai 2017, 08:51:12 CEST schrieb Luca Ferrari:
> Hi all,
> I cannot paste files from dolphin into the storage of my mobile phone
> (samsung galaxy j3) connected via MTP (all the folders are not
> writable).
> However I can download content from the phone (e.g., images).
> Any idea?

Hi.

Are you using an external SD card? Content which resides on the card (such as
photos and music) should be read- and writeable, AFAIK.

For me, MTP isn't working (my HTC 10 phone isn't supported yet by the MTP
library). I found a different way to access my data: install SSHDroid in the
phone, and access it via SSH. This will use WLAN instead of an USB cable.

Good luck
Volker

Re: cannot upload to MTP phone

Alan (grokit)
MTP support in Kubuntu is almost entirely broken and has been for a decade and a half. I have no hope of it ever getting fixed. I get the dreaded error message "The process for the mtp protocol died unexpectedly" more times than not.
Use Airdroid instead. You can transfer everything through your browser.

On Friday, May 19, 2017 8:51:12 AM EDT Luca Ferrari wrote:

> Hi all,
> I cannot paste files from dolphin into the storage of my mobile phone
> (samsung galaxy j3) connected via MTP (all the folders are not
> writable).
> However I can download content from the phone (e.g., images).
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks
>

> % lsb_release -a
>                                                    ~
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
> Release:        16.10
> Codename:       yakkety

Re: cannot upload to MTP phone

Ferry Toth
Op Fri, 19 May 2017 11:00:10 -0400, schreef Alan (grokit):

> MTP support in Kubuntu is almost entirely broken and has been for a
> decade and a half. I have no hope of it ever getting fixed. I get the
> dreaded error message "The process for the mtp protocol died
> unexpectedly" more times than not.
> Use Airdroid instead. You can transfer everything through your browser.

If you have or can get a ssh server working on your phone, you can use
fish://user@phone from dolfin.

(but I have a ubuntu phone that has ssh preinstalled, so I don't need to
root it to get sshd installed)

> On Friday, May 19, 2017 8:51:12 AM EDT Luca Ferrari wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I cannot paste files from dolphin into the storage of my mobile phone
>> (samsung galaxy j3) connected via MTP (all the folders are not
>> writable).
>> However I can download content from the phone (e.g., images).
>> Any idea?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> % lsb_release -a
>>                                                    ~
>> No LSB modules are available.
>> Distributor ID: Ubuntu Description:    Ubuntu 16.10 Release:
>> 16.10 Codename:       yakkety

Re: cannot upload to MTP phone

uteck
Have you tried using KDE connect to transfer the files wirelessly?

On 05/19/2017 02:51 AM, Luca Ferrari wrote:

> Hi all,
> I cannot paste files from dolphin into the storage of my mobile phone
> (samsung galaxy j3) connected via MTP (all the folders are not
> writable).
> However I can download content from the phone (e.g., images).
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks
>

> % lsb_release -a
>                                                     ~
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
> Release:        16.10
> Codename:       yakkety

Re: cannot upload to MTP phone

O. Sinclair
On 05/19/17 08:51, Luca Ferrari wrote:

> Hi all,
> I cannot paste files from dolphin into the storage of my mobile phone
> (samsung galaxy j3) connected via MTP (all the folders are not
> writable).
> However I can download content from the phone (e.g., images).
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks
>

> % lsb_release -a
>                                                    ~
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
> Release:        16.10
> Codename:       yakkety

Have you installed kdeconnect? Works well for me, am on 16.04

/Sinclair

Am Freitag, 19. Mai 2017, 16:07:40 CEST schrieb Ferry Toth:
> If you have or can get a ssh server working on your phone, you can use
> fish://user@phone from dolfin.

I have SSHDroid installed on the phone. It works with
sftp://root@192.168.178.25:2222/sdcard/ (after starting the SSHDroid app).

The IP address to be used is displayed by SSHDroid, when it is started.

My Router is a Fritzbox. You can specify that always the same local address
(such as "192.168.178.25") should be assigned to the smartphone. This way you
can make bookmarks with it.

Bye
V.W.

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 19. Mai 2017, 16:07:40 CEST schrieb Ferry Toth:
>> If you have or can get a ssh server working on your phone, you can use
>> fish://user@phone from dolfin.
>
> I have SSHDroid installed on the phone. It works with
> sftp://root@192.168.178.25:2222/sdcard/ (after starting the SSHDroid app).
>
> The IP address to be used is displayed by SSHDroid, when it is started.

Folks, thank for the suggestion but if I could use wi-fi then nothing
prevents me to find any kind of solution to share content (even an
http server on my workstation). The point is I'm constrained to NOT
use wi-fi, and I don't want to rely on a remote file server too, so I
guess there's nothing to solve the problem.
The content is on the main storage of the device, and I have to say it
worked (sometime) with my old samsung, but never worked with the
galaxy j6.

Thanks,
Luca

problems writing to USB storage was Re: cannot upload to MTP phone

David Lang
slightly hijacking the thread here, because I think the problem is larger than
just MTP.

I've run into similar problems in the last week trying to write a SD card for a
raspberry pi.

I can mount cards and read them (both with a USB adapter as /dev/sdb and with
the intenal adapter as /dev/mm*), but I can't write to them.

If I try to write to the internal adapter I get lots of async page write
failures, if I write to external adapters/thumb drives it claims to work, and
finishes very quickly, but the data does not get to disk (it claims to have
written, but it only gets to the system buffers. doing a sync before ejecting
doesn't help)

This is running as root, both trying to mount and then touch a file and also
doing a dd to the raw device.

It's been several months since the last time I needed to do this, so I don't
know when it broke.

David Lang

Re: cannot upload to MTP phone

Christian Pelz
Am 23.05.2017 um 08:37 schrieb Luca Ferrari:

> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Am Freitag, 19. Mai 2017, 16:07:40 CEST schrieb Ferry Toth:
>>> If you have or can get a ssh server working on your phone, you can use
>>> fish://user@phone from dolfin.
>>
>> I have SSHDroid installed on the phone. It works with
>> sftp://root@192.168.178.25:2222/sdcard/ (after starting the SSHDroid app).
>>
>> The IP address to be used is displayed by SSHDroid, when it is started.
>
> Folks, thank for the suggestion but if I could use wi-fi then nothing
> prevents me to find any kind of solution to share content (even an
> http server on my workstation). The point is I'm constrained to NOT
> use wi-fi, and I don't want to rely on a remote file server too, so I
> guess there's nothing to solve the problem.
> The content is on the main storage of the device, and I have to say it
> worked (sometime) with my old samsung, but never worked with the
> galaxy j6.
>
> Thanks,
> Luca

Hi Luca,

you could probably transfer files over usb with adb (Android Debug
Bridge). It doesn't come with a GUI, though, afaik.

MyPhoneExplorer is a piece of software to synchronise your phone to your
PC and also offers file transfer. It uses adb. Only available for
windows, I'm afraid, but generally, it works with wine.

However, I haven't tried connecting my Android phone to the linux-box
with usb.

There's a thread on the website of MyPhoneExplorer on that:
http://www.fjsoft.at/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20567
(pretty much towards the end)

Good luck

Chris

Re: cannot upload to MTP phone

uteck
Not sure if it was mentioned, but are you sure the phone is set to use
USB for file transfer and not just charging?