cant login with my samba password only with my linux password

cant login with my samba password only with my linux password

Hartmut-10
Hello,

I have a strange problem with my samba server. When I try to connect
with my (Windows)client and samba ask for the password, it's only
accepting my linux-user password, not my samba-user password (set with
smbpasswd).

And now the strange about it. When i change my sambapassword with
smbpasswd, and try to login from my client, then the samba-user password
is accepted. But after a reboot of my samba server, the server accepts
only the linux-user password. I have to (re)set the samba-user password
again with smbpasswd and only after that, I can login with the
samba-user password.

Is there something wrong with my smb.conf (see below)? Or what else
could be the problem?

-------------
smb.conf:
[global]
#       debuglevel = 1
        workgroup = Gruppe
        server string = Datastring
        wins support = no
        dns proxy = no

        interfaces = 192.168.1.0/24 127.0.0.1/8
        bind interfaces only = yes

        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        syslog = 0
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = true
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        obey pam restrictions = yes
        unix password sync = no
        pam password change = no
        map to guest = bad user
        domain logons = no
        load printers = no
        domain master = no
        usershare allow guests = no

        vfs objects = recycle
        recycle: repository = .trash.bin
        recycle: keeptree = Yes
        recycle:versions = Yes

[lager]
        comment = Lager
        path = /media/lager_hdd
        public = no
        valid users = user1
        read only = no
        browseable = no

Re: cant login with my samba password only with my linux password

Tom H-4
On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a strange problem with my samba server. When I try to connect
> with my (Windows)client and samba ask for the password, it's only
> accepting my linux-user password, not my samba-user password (set with
> smbpasswd).
>
> And now the strange about it. When i change my sambapassword with
> smbpasswd, and try to login from my client, then the samba-user password
> is accepted. But after a reboot of my samba server, the server accepts
> only the linux-user password. I have to (re)set the samba-user password
> again with smbpasswd and only after that, I can login with the
> samba-user password.
>
> Is there something wrong with my smb.conf (see below)?
>
> [global]
>        security = user
>        encrypt passwords = true
>        passdb backend = tdbsam
>        obey pam restrictions = yes
>        unix password sync = no
>        pam password change = no

Not 100% sure of 1 and 2 below:

1. When you run smbpasswd as a user, the password is passed to a
running smbd because smbpasswd isn't setuid root and the samba
password db isn't updated.

2. If you have a valid unix username and password and an enabled smb
username with a diffferent password, you can connect to a samba share
with your unix password.

Questions:

A. Why don't you sync unix and samba passwords?

B. If you don;t want to do A above, why not change the samba
password(s) with pdbedit?

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have a strange problem with my samba server. When I try to connect
>> with my (Windows)client and samba ask for the password, it's only
>> accepting my linux-user password, not my samba-user password (set with
>> smbpasswd).
>>
>> And now the strange about it. When i change my sambapassword with
>> smbpasswd, and try to login from my client, then the samba-user password
>> is accepted. But after a reboot of my samba server, the server accepts
>> only the linux-user password. I have to (re)set the samba-user password
>> again with smbpasswd and only after that, I can login with the
>> samba-user password.
>>
>> Is there something wrong with my smb.conf (see below)?
>>
>> [global]
>>        security = user
>>        encrypt passwords = true
>>        passdb backend = tdbsam
>>        obey pam restrictions = yes
>>        unix password sync = no
>>        pam password change = no

Hi Tom,

thank you for your hint. See answers below.

> Not 100% sure of 1 and 2 below:
>
> 1. When you run smbpasswd as a user, the password is passed to a
> running smbd because smbpasswd isn't setuid root and the samba
> password db isn't updated.

I tried it as user and as root, both the same result.

> 2. If you have a valid unix username and password and an enabled smb
> username with a diffferent password, you can connect to a samba share
> with your unix password.

The connect with the unix password works, but i like to connect with
my samba password.

> Questions:
>
> A. Why don't you sync unix and samba passwords?

I know this feature, but i like to have different passwords for the
linux and the samba user.

> B. If you don;t want to do A above, why not change the samba
> password(s) with pdbedit?

How can i do that with pdbedit? I know that tool, but i don't know how
to change the password with pdbedit. What's the right parameter for
that? Haven't found that at the man page. Maybe I haven't seen the
wood for the trees? :)

Greetings
Hartmut

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a strange problem with my samba server. When I try to connect
>>> with my (Windows)client and samba ask for the password, it's only
>>> accepting my linux-user password, not my samba-user password (set with
>>> smbpasswd).
>>>
>>> And now the strange about it. When i change my sambapassword with
>>> smbpasswd, and try to login from my client, then the samba-user password
>>> is accepted. But after a reboot of my samba server, the server accepts
>>> only the linux-user password. I have to (re)set the samba-user password
>>> again with smbpasswd and only after that, I can login with the
>>> samba-user password.
>>>
>>> Is there something wrong with my smb.conf (see below)?
>>>
>>> [global]
>>>        security = user
>>>        encrypt passwords = true
>>>        passdb backend = tdbsam
>>>        obey pam restrictions = yes
>>>        unix password sync = no
>>>        pam password change = no
>
> thank you for your hint.

You're welcome.

>> 1. When you run smbpasswd as a user, the password is passed to a
>> running smbd because smbpasswd isn't setuid root and the samba
>> password db isn't updated.
>
> I tried it as user and as root, both the same result.

As root, did you run "smbpasswd" or "smbpasswd <user>"? Because
running smbpasswd as root should update the samba password db.

Check "pdbedit -Lv <user>" or "ls -l /var/lib/samba/passdb.tdb" before
and after running "smbpasswd <user>" as root.

>> 2. If you have a valid unix username and password and an enabled smb
>> username with a diffferent password, you can connect to a samba share
>> with your unix password.
>
> The connect with the unix password works, but i like to connect with
> my samba password.

I'm pretty sure that it's a (weird) samba feature but not 100% sure.
But it does explain the behavior of your box.

>> B. If you don;t want to do A above, why not change the samba
>> password(s) with pdbedit?
>
> How can i do that with pdbedit? I know that tool, but i don't know how
> to change the password with pdbedit. What's the right parameter for
> that? Haven't found that at the man page.

No time for "man pdbedit" but I think that it's "pdbedit -t -u <user>".

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> thank you for your hint.
>
> You're welcome.
>

>>> 1. When you run smbpasswd as a user, the password is passed to a
>>> running smbd because smbpasswd isn't setuid root and the samba
>>> password db isn't updated.
>>
>> I tried it as user and as root, both the same result.
>
> As root, did you run "smbpasswd" or "smbpasswd <user>"? Because
> running smbpasswd as root should update the samba password db.

As root i changed it with smbpasswd <user>. (and as user only with
smbpasswd). And yes, i tried both :)

> Check "pdbedit -Lv <user>" or "ls -l /var/lib/samba/passdb.tdb" before
> and after running "smbpasswd <user>" as root.

Did this. The timestamp of the file passdb.tdb and the entry "Password
last set" changes to the actual time/date.
What I wonder that
Last bad password   : 0
Bad password count  : 0
is not changing. Also I enter a totally wrong password, it's not
changing anymore. And, after a successful login with the linux (or
fresh changed samba) password, the field
Logon time:           0
is also not changed.

>>> 2. If you have a valid unix username and password and an enabled smb
>>> username with a diffferent password, you can connect to a samba share
>>> with your unix password.
>>
>> The connect with the unix password works, but i like to connect with
>> my samba password.
>
> I'm pretty sure that it's a (weird) samba feature but not 100% sure.
> But it does explain the behavior of your box.

Yes, let it call us a "feature", not a "bug" :D

>>> B. If you don;t want to do A above, why not change the samba
>>> password(s) with pdbedit?
>>
>> How can i do that with pdbedit? I know that tool, but i don't know how
>> to change the password with pdbedit. What's the right parameter for
>> that? Haven't found that at the man page.
>
> No time for "man pdbedit" but I think that it's "pdbedit -t -u <user>".

I tried this, but then I'm not asked to enter a password. And a
echo "test" | pdbedit -t -u hartmut
does also not work for me, too :(

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I tried it as user and as root, both the same result.
>>
>> As root, did you run "smbpasswd" or "smbpasswd <user>"? Because
>> running smbpasswd as root should update the samba password db.
>
> As root i changed it with smbpasswd <user>. (and as user only with
> smbpasswd). And yes, i tried both :)

"smbpasswd <user>" works for me as root so no idea except maybe doing
so as the samba admin user if you have a different one.

>>> The connect with the unix password works, but i like to connect with
>>> my samba password.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure that it's a (weird) samba feature but not 100% sure.
>> But it does explain the behavior of your box.
>
> Yes, let it call us a "feature", not a "bug" :D

Check whether you have libpam-smbpass. Its function's to synchronize
the samba password with the unix password when you log in to a box and
they are different.

Without libpam-smbpass, I'd be more inclined to call this a bug but,
if this is the case, I'd have to read the developers' rationale first.

>>> How can i do that with pdbedit? I know that tool, but i don't know how
>>> to change the password with pdbedit. What's the right parameter for
>>> that? Haven't found that at the man page.
>>
>> No time for "man pdbedit" but I think that it's "pdbedit -t -u <user>".
>
> I tried this, but then I'm not asked to enter a password. And a
> echo "test" | pdbedit -t -u hartmut
> does also not work for me, too :(

Thanks for the correction. My memory of the command was partial, your
post reminded me that it should be "echo -e "test\ntest\n" | pdbedit
-t -u <user>".

I've just tried it though and it failed so the article or post that
I'd read had more to it than that. I've tried it with debugging turned
on and it throws off errors about group maps and RIDs that I can't
look into now.

You could also look into changing the password with "net" - something
like "net rpc password..." but I can't look up the proper syntax at
the moment. I'm sorry about the incomplete help... :(

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a strange problem with my samba server. When I try to connect
> with my (Windows)client and samba ask for the password, it's only
> accepting my linux-user password, not my samba-user password (set with
> smbpasswd).
>
> And now the strange about it. When i change my sambapassword with
> smbpasswd, and try to login from my client, then the samba-user password
> is accepted. But after a reboot of my samba server, the server accepts
> only the linux-user password. I have to (re)set the samba-user password
> again with smbpasswd and only after that, I can login with the
> samba-user password.
>
> Is there something wrong with my smb.conf (see below)? Or what else
> could be the problem?
>

> -------------
> smb.conf:
> [global]
> #       debuglevel = 1
>        workgroup = Gruppe
>        server string = Datastring
>        wins support = no
>        dns proxy = no
>
>        interfaces = 192.168.1.0/24 127.0.0.1/8
>        bind interfaces only = yes
>
>        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>        max log size = 1000
>        syslog = 0
>        security = user
>        encrypt passwords = true
>        passdb backend = tdbsam
>        obey pam restrictions = yes
>        unix password sync = no
>        pam password change = no
>        map to guest = bad user
>        domain logons = no
>        load printers = no
>        domain master = no
>        usershare allow guests = no
>
>        vfs objects = recycle
>        recycle: repository = .trash.bin
>        recycle: keeptree = Yes
>        recycle:versions = Yes
>
> [lager]
>        comment = Lager
>        path = /media/lager_hdd
>        public = no
>        valid users = user1
>        read only = no
>        browseable = no
> -------------
>
> Greetings
> Hartmut

The problem still exist. Has no one a clue?

Re: cant login with my samba password only with my linux password

Chris Angelico
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 2:49 AM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The problem still exist. Has no one a clue?

Not a samba expert, but I'm guessing there's some issue with the "unix
password sync = no" line - is it loading from the user passwords on
startup and having smbpasswd write to somewhere else?

Chris Angelico

PS. Rather interesting that you let people browse your lager storage,
but they're not allowed to touch it. Seems very... appropriate. :)

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have a strange problem with my samba server. When I try to connect
>> with my (Windows)client and samba ask for the password, it's only
>> accepting my linux-user password, not my samba-user password (set with
>> smbpasswd).
>>
>> And now the strange about it. When i change my sambapassword with
>> smbpasswd, and try to login from my client, then the samba-user password
>> is accepted. But after a reboot of my samba server, the server accepts
>> only the linux-user password. I have to (re)set the samba-user password
>> again with smbpasswd and only after that, I can login with the
>> samba-user password.

Did you see my last reply to your earlier thread?

<begin>
Check whether you have libpam-smbpass. Its function's to synchronize
the samba password with the unix password when you log in to a box and
they are different.
</end>

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Chris Angelico <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 2:49 AM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The problem still exist. Has no one a clue?
>
> Not a samba expert, but I'm guessing there's some issue with the "unix
> password sync = no" line - is it loading from the user passwords on
> startup and having smbpasswd write to somewhere else?

the samba password is stored in an extra database file. Normally it
should not be loaded from the user passwords on startup, cause i like
to have different passwords for the ssh-login and the samba-login.

> Chris Angelico
>
> PS. Rather interesting that you let people browse your lager storage,
> but they're not allowed to touch it. Seems very... appropriate. :)

Ok, there i can't follow you ;) at [lager] the option "browsable = no"
is set, so no one should be able to browse it, or not?

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:28 PM, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a strange problem with my samba server. When I try to connect
>>> with my (Windows)client and samba ask for the password, it's only
>>> accepting my linux-user password, not my samba-user password (set with
>>> smbpasswd).
>>>
>>> And now the strange about it. When i change my sambapassword with
>>> smbpasswd, and try to login from my client, then the samba-user password
>>> is accepted. But after a reboot of my samba server, the server accepts
>>> only the linux-user password. I have to (re)set the samba-user password
>>> again with smbpasswd and only after that, I can login with the
>>> samba-user password.
>
> Did you see my last reply to your earlier thread?
>
> <begin>
> Check whether you have libpam-smbpass. Its function's to synchronize
> the samba password with the unix password when you log in to a box and
> they are different.
> </end>

yes, but I forgot to answer :) The package libpam-smbpass is
installed. But what i want is, that the passwords are _not_ the same.
I like to have a linux-login password and other one for the
samba-login...

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:28 PM, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Did you see my last reply to your earlier thread?
>>
>> <begin>
>> Check whether you have libpam-smbpass. Its function's to synchronize
>> the samba password with the unix password when you log in to a box and
>> they are different.
>> </end>
>
> yes, but I forgot to answer :) The package libpam-smbpass is
> installed. But what i want is, that the passwords are _not_ the same.
> I like to have a linux-login password and other one for the
> samba-login...

So why don't you try to uninstall libpam-smbpass? I don't think that
any other package depends on it. It *may* be the source of your
problems...

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Did you see my last reply to your earlier thread?
>>>
>>> <begin>
>>> Check whether you have libpam-smbpass. Its function's to synchronize
>>> the samba password with the unix password when you log in to a box and
>>> they are different.
>>> </end>
>>
>> yes, but I forgot to answer :) The package libpam-smbpass is
>> installed. But what i want is, that the passwords are _not_ the same.
>> I like to have a linux-login password and other one for the
>> samba-login...
>
> So why don't you try to uninstall libpam-smbpass? I don't think that
> any other package depends on it. It *may* be the source of your
> problems...

I don't know what's to say. You are my Hero! Without that package, it works.
Thank you very much !

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know what's to say. You are my Hero! Without that package, it works.
> Thank you very much !

You're welcome.