Quantcast

configuring unity launcher for 200+ users

configuring unity launcher for 200+ users

Matt Johnson
Hi,

We plan to upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 in a 250 user UK Junior school. I'd like to put some popular, often-used programs on the launcher, as well as remove Ubuntu One, software centre, settings etc which won't be needed. In fact, the latter is more a priority than the former as I don't want irrelevant stuff cloggin up the launcher.

How might we achieve that? I can't find a relevant directory or file that I could distribute across the users.

Ta.
--
Matt

Re: configuring unity launcher for 200+ users

James Freer
On Fri, 1 Jun 2012, Matt Johnson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We plan to upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 in a 250 user UK Junior school. I'd like to put some popular, often-used programs on the launcher, as well as remove Ubuntu One, software centre, settings etc which won't be needed. In fact, the latter is more a priority than the former as I don't want irrelevant stuff cloggin up the launcher.
>

> How might we achieve that? I can't find a relevant directory or file that I could distribute across the users.
>
> Ta.
> --
> Matt
I'm impressed you're using Ubuntu in school - i used to teach Maths in
Secondary.

I may not be much help as i stopped using Ubuntu about 18 months ago before
Unity came in - use Xubuntu now. I'd imagine there is a Menu bar under System or
Settings as there was with Gnome [think the app was Alacarte?] which allows you
to delete or just hide whatever you want.

james

Re: configuring unity launcher for 200+ users

Ryan Gauger
On 06/01/2012 12:58 PM, Matt Johnson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We plan to upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 in a 250 user UK Junior school. I'd like to put some popular, often-used programs on the launcher, as well as remove Ubuntu One, software centre, settings etc which won't be needed. In fact, the latter is more a priority than the former as I don't want irrelevant stuff cloggin up the launcher.
>

> How might we achieve that? I can't find a relevant directory or file that I could distribute across the users.
>
> Ta.
> --
> Matt

You have the ability to do this - through the terminal. You can run
"sudo apt-get remove package-name", where package-name is replaced with
the name of the package you are wanting to uninstall. I highly warn you
about removing System Settings. If it is not available, some parts of
Unity may be broken. For Instance, you may receive an error message
after right-clicking the desktop, and selecting "Change Desktop
Background". Some other parts of Unity may also be broken if you choose
to remove System Settings. If you mean you want to remove individual
settings in System Settings, that is not possible, because each part of
System Settings is built around each other. Thanks!

In Christ,
Ryan

Re: configuring unity launcher for 200+ users

Ric Moore
On 06/01/2012 05:43 PM, James Freer wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jun 2012, Matt Johnson wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We plan to upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 in a 250 user UK Junior school.
>> I'd like to put some popular, often-used programs on the launcher, as
>> well as remove Ubuntu One, software centre, settings etc which won't
>> be needed. In fact, the latter is more a priority than the former as I
>> don't want irrelevant stuff cloggin up the launcher.
>>

>> How might we achieve that? I can't find a relevant directory or file
>> that I could distribute across the users.
>>
>> Ta.
>> --
>> Matt
>
> I'm impressed you're using Ubuntu in school - i used to teach Maths in
> Secondary.
>
> I may not be much help as i stopped using Ubuntu about 18 months ago
> before Unity came in - use Xubuntu now. I'd imagine there is a Menu bar
> under System or Settings as there was with Gnome [think the app was
> Alacarte?] which allows you to delete or just hide whatever you want.
James and Matt
I just tried alacarte out, and it now works just peachy for XFCE/Xubuntu
You can edit the start menu to include or exclude what ever you chose.
Enjoy! Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Re: configuring unity launcher for 200+ users

Cybe R. Wizard-3
On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 18:19:28 -0400
Ric Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just tried alacarte out, and it now works just peachy for
> XFCE/Xubuntu You can edit the start menu to include or exclude what
> ever you chose. Enjoy! Ric

You lucky fellow, how did you ever figure that out?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
        Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

RE: configuring unity launcher for 200+ users

compdoc
Can you prevent kids or anyone from messing around with the settings? With
Windows you give them reduce permissions. Is that possible with Ubuntu?

 Maybe you just need to have a quick way to wipe and restore hard drive
images...

RE: configuring unity launcher for 200+ users

chris-776
On Fri, 2012-06-01 at 20:46 -0600, compdoc wrote:
> Can you prevent kids or anyone from messing around with the settings? With
> Windows you give them reduce permissions. Is that possible with Ubuntu?
>
>  Maybe you just need to have a quick way to wipe and restore hard drive
> images...

You can configure their sign in options I think from users and groups.
you would need to set up a separate log in for them though.

I have to do this for a number of backpackers here, and limit their
access to the internet installing program etc.

--
Cheers the Kiwi

On 06/01/2012 09:06 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 18:19:28 -0400
> Ric Moore<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I just tried alacarte out, and it now works just peachy for
>> XFCE/Xubuntu You can edit the start menu to include or exclude what
>> ever you chose. Enjoy! Ric
>
> You lucky fellow, how did you ever figure that out?
It didn't used to work, but the Xubuntu folks said it would for 12.04
So, when I read the OP and the mention of alacarte, it awoke a brain
cell and I tried it out. Finally! You can edit your menus successfully
in XFCE/Xubuntu. I'm grateful they fixed it, as it doesn't always add
all the new stuff or I don't want MINES listed in games. Ric

On 06/01/2012 10:46 PM, compdoc wrote:
> Can you prevent kids or anyone from messing around with the settings? With
> Windows you give them reduce permissions. Is that possible with Ubuntu?

I guess if you just made the file read only that would handle that.

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Re: configuring unity launcher for 200+ users

Norman Silverstone-2
On 02/06/12 06:39, Ric Moore wrote:

> On 06/01/2012 09:06 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>> On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 18:19:28 -0400
>> Ric Moore<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I just tried alacarte out, and it now works just peachy for
>>> XFCE/Xubuntu You can edit the start menu to include or exclude what
>>> ever you chose. Enjoy! Ric
>>
>> You lucky fellow, how did you ever figure that out?
> It didn't used to work, but the Xubuntu folks said it would for 12.04
> So, when I read the OP and the mention of alacarte, it awoke a brain
> cell and I tried it out. Finally! You can edit your menus successfully
> in XFCE/Xubuntu. I'm grateful they fixed it, as it doesn't always add
> all the new stuff or I don't want MINES listed in games. Ric

Excuse for appearing to be a little bit dumb but, what exactly do you
mean by start menu, please?

Norman

Re: configuring unity launcher for 200+ users

Colin Law-4
On 1 June 2012 22:54, Ryan Gauger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/01/2012 12:58 PM, Matt Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We plan to upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 in a 250 user UK Junior school. I'd
>> like to put some popular, often-used programs on the launcher, as well as
>> remove Ubuntu One, software centre, settings etc which won't be needed. In
>> fact, the latter is more a priority than the former as I don't want
>> irrelevant stuff cloggin up the launcher.
>>

>> How might we achieve that? I can't find a relevant directory or file that
>> I could distribute across the users.
>>
>> Ta.
>> --
>> Matt
>>

> You have the ability to do this - through the terminal. You can run "sudo
> apt-get remove package-name", where package-name is replaced with the name
> of the package you are wanting to uninstall. I highly warn you about
> removing System Settings. If it is not available, some parts of Unity may be
> broken. For Instance, you may receive an error message after right-clicking
> the desktop, and selecting "Change Desktop Background". Some other parts of
> Unity may also be broken if you choose to remove System Settings. If you
> mean you want to remove individual settings in System Settings, that is not
> possible, because each part of System Settings is built around each other.

I think we are mis-interpreting the question here.  As I read it he
wants to remove the apps from the /launcher/ and add some other apps
(also to the launcher), but he has 250 machines to do and doesn't want
to do it by hand to all the machines.

Colin

On 06/02/2012 02:22 AM, Norman Silverstone wrote:

> On 02/06/12 06:39, Ric Moore wrote:
>> On 06/01/2012 09:06 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

>>> You lucky fellow, how did you ever figure that out?
>> It didn't used to work, but the Xubuntu folks said it would for 12.04
>> So, when I read the OP and the mention of alacarte, it awoke a brain
>> cell and I tried it out. Finally! You can edit your menus successfully
>> in XFCE/Xubuntu. I'm grateful they fixed it, as it doesn't always add
>> all the new stuff or I don't want MINES listed in games. Ric
>>

> Excuse for appearing to be a little bit dumb but, what exactly do you
> mean by start menu, please?

In XFCE, the "Applications Menu". I call it the start button. You hit
it, the drop down menu for all the programs you have listed are started
from there. Sorry for being vague. Ric

On 02/06/12 11:54, Ric Moore wrote:

> On 06/02/2012 02:22 AM, Norman Silverstone wrote:

>>> It didn't used to work, but the Xubuntu folks said it would for 12.04
>>> So, when I read the OP and the mention of alacarte, it awoke a brain
>>> cell and I tried it out. Finally! You can edit your menus successfully
>>> in XFCE/Xubuntu. I'm grateful they fixed it, as it doesn't always add
>>> all the new stuff or I don't want MINES listed in games. Ric
>>>

>> Excuse for appearing to be a little bit dumb but, what exactly do you
>> mean by start menu, please?
>
> In XFCE, the "Applications Menu". I call it the start button. You hit
> it, the drop down menu for all the programs you have listed are started
> from there. Sorry for being vague. Ric

Thanks, I thought that was what you meant. Just making sure.

Norman

On 2 Jun 2012, at 08:26, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1 June 2012 22:54, Ryan Gauger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 06/01/2012 12:58 PM, Matt Johnson wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We plan to upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 in a 250 user UK Junior school. I'd
>>> like to put some popular, often-used programs on the launcher, as well as
>>> remove Ubuntu One, software centre, settings etc which won't be needed. In
>>> fact, the latter is more a priority than the former as I don't want
>>> irrelevant stuff cloggin up the launcher.
>>>

>>> How might we achieve that? I can't find a relevant directory or file that
>>> I could distribute across the users.
>>>
>>> Ta.
>>> --
>>> Matt
>>>

>> You have the ability to do this - through the terminal. You can run "sudo
>> apt-get remove package-name", where package-name is replaced with the name
>> of the package you are wanting to uninstall. I highly warn you about
>> removing System Settings. If it is not available, some parts of Unity may be
>> broken. For Instance, you may receive an error message after right-clicking
>> the desktop, and selecting "Change Desktop Background". Some other parts of
>> Unity may also be broken if you choose to remove System Settings. If you
>> mean you want to remove individual settings in System Settings, that is not
>> possible, because each part of System Settings is built around each other.
>

> I think we are mis-interpreting the question here.  As I read it he
> wants to remove the apps from the /launcher/ and add some other apps
> (also to the launcher), but he has 250 machines to do and doesn't want
> to do it by hand to all the machines.
>
> Colin

Much obliged for all answers. Ubuntu is great in schools. Our setup is very easy to maintain.

Colin,

Yes, thanks. That's pretty much what I need, though it's made easier as we use thin and fat clients by using ltsp. So, as you say, what I want to achieve is to roll out a unity launcher setup (with selected applications) to all 250 users (effectively on one machine). I imagine this might be achieved by setting up one template user and copying a directory or config file to all users as I do something similar with 10.04 desktop icons and other users settings currently.

So... Where is the user config for the unity 2d launcher please? Or another approach.

Thanks all.

--
Matt
Sent from my iPhone

On 2 June 2012 12:07, Matt Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2 Jun 2012, at 08:26, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> You have the ability to do this - through the terminal. You can run "sudo
>>> apt-get remove package-name", where package-name is replaced with the name
>>> of the package you are wanting to uninstall. I highly warn you about
>>> removing System Settings. If it is not available, some parts of Unity may be
>>> broken. For Instance, you may receive an error message after right-clicking
>>> the desktop, and selecting "Change Desktop Background". Some other parts of
>>> Unity may also be broken if you choose to remove System Settings. If you
>>> mean you want to remove individual settings in System Settings, that is not
>>> possible, because each part of System Settings is built around each other.
>>

>> I think we are mis-interpreting the question here.  As I read it he
>> wants to remove the apps from the /launcher/ and add some other apps
>> (also to the launcher), but he has 250 machines to do and doesn't want
>> to do it by hand to all the machines.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> --
>
> Much obliged for all answers. Ubuntu is great in schools. Our setup is very easy to maintain.
>
> Colin,
>
> Yes, thanks. That's pretty much what I need, though it's made easier as we use thin and fat clients by using ltsp. So, as you say, what I want to achieve is to roll out a unity launcher setup (with selected applications) to all 250 users (effectively on one machine). I imagine this might be achieved by setting up one template user and copying a directory or config file to all users as I do something similar with 10.04 desktop icons and other users settings currently.
>
> So... Where is the user config for the unity 2d launcher please? Or another approach.

I believe it is stored in gconf.  If I run gconf-editor and go to
desktop/unity-2d/launcher/favorites I see a list of all the .desktop
files in the launcher.  I suppose a script could be written to set
this up appropriately for all users.

Colin

On 06/02/2012 07:30 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> On 2 June 2012 12:07, Matt Johnson<[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> I think we are mis-interpreting the question here.  As I read it he
>>> wants to remove the apps from the /launcher/ and add some other apps
>>> (also to the launcher), but he has 250 machines to do and doesn't want
>>> to do it by hand to all the machines.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>>
>>> --
>>
>> Much obliged for all answers. Ubuntu is great in schools. Our setup is very easy to maintain.
>>
>> Colin,
>>
>> Yes, thanks. That's pretty much what I need, though it's made easier as we use thin and fat clients by using ltsp. So, as you say, what I want to achieve is to roll out a unity launcher setup (with selected applications) to all 250 users (effectively on one machine). I imagine this might be achieved by setting up one template user and copying a directory or config file to all users as I do something similar with 10.04 desktop icons and other users settings currently.
>>
>> So... Where is the user config for the unity 2d launcher please? Or another approach.
>
> I believe it is stored in gconf.  If I run gconf-editor and go to
> desktop/unity-2d/launcher/favorites I see a list of all the .desktop
> files in the launcher.  I suppose a script could be written to set
> this up appropriately for all users.

I wonder if he could set a per-user link to the server gconf file, so
that everyone could actually use the same file? Then the admin need only
edit that file on the server and the change be instantaneous across the
localnet of users? Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Re: configuring unity launcher for 200+ users

Florian Diesch
Matt Johnson <[hidden email]> writes:

> We plan to upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 in a 250 user UK Junior school. I'd like to put some popular, often-used programs on the launcher, as well as remove Ubuntu One, software centre, settings etc which won't be needed. In fact, the latter is more a priority than the former as I don't want irrelevant stuff cloggin up the launcher.
>

> How might we achieve that? I can't find a relevant directory or file that I could distribute across the users.

The launcher items are stored in GSettings at schema
'com.canonical.Unity.Launcher' key 'favorites'.

See
<http://askubuntu.com/questions/65900/how-can-i-change-default-settings-for-new-users/>
for how to create a override file to set defaults.

   Florian
--
Indicator applet for Unity that provides the main menu of Gnome Classic:
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/classicmenu-indicator/>

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012, Matt Johnson wrote:

> On 2 Jun 2012, at 08:26, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> You have the ability to do this - through the terminal. You can run "sudo
>>> apt-get remove package-name", where package-name is replaced with the name
>>> of the package you are wanting to uninstall. I highly warn you about
>>> removing System Settings. If it is not available, some parts of Unity may be
>>> broken. For Instance, you may receive an error message after right-clicking
>>> the desktop, and selecting "Change Desktop Background". Some other parts of
>>> Unity may also be broken if you choose to remove System Settings. If you
>>> mean you want to remove individual settings in System Settings, that is not
>>> possible, because each part of System Settings is built around each other.
>>

>> I think we are mis-interpreting the question here.  As I read it he
>> wants to remove the apps from the /launcher/ and add some other apps
>> (also to the launcher), but he has 250 machines to do and doesn't want
>> to do it by hand to all the machines.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> --
>
> Much obliged for all answers. Ubuntu is great in schools. Our setup is very easy to maintain.
>
> Colin,
>
> Yes, thanks. That's pretty much what I need, though it's made easier as we use thin and fat clients by using ltsp. So, as you say, what I want to achieve is to roll out a unity launcher setup (with selected applications) to all 250 users (effectively on one machine). I imagine this might be achieved by setting up one template user and copying a directory or config file to all users as I do something similar with 10.04 desktop icons and other users settings currently.
>
> So... Where is the user config for the unity 2d launcher please? Or another approach.
>
> Thanks all.
>
> --
> Matt

For setup wouldn't it be easier to use Edubuntu? I don't know but i'd have
thought the version would have been tweaked to run on multiple machines. Just a
thought.

james

Re: configuring unity launcher for 200+ users

Matt Johnson

Thanks for the answers all. It appears less trivial to sort out than I imagined (copy a config file to all users, for example). I will mull it over and persevere.

Much obliged.

On 6 June 2012 11:21, Matt Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[snip]

> Thanks for the answers all. It appears less trivial to sort out than I imagined (copy a config file to all users, for example). I will mull it over and persevere.

You could just email them all with simple instructions for doing it
and let them get on with it.

Colin